Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

vinyl360
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2019, 4:54 pm

Recently, I've decided with my parents that I was going to work on impulse control. Does anyone have any advice on how to work on it?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 6:53 pm

Drugs

Counseling

Rehab

Impulse control disorder

What are your impulses?

Avoid or reduce exposure to the triggers

vinyl360
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2019, 6:54 pm

I seem to like destroying stuff. It was mostly cutting up shirts, but recently I tried burning toilet paper inside the house. Other impulses are taking my phone to school, cutting my bedtime barely, and staying on the computer longer than I'm allowed to.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:48 pm

Be VERY careful about the burning toilet paper.

Otherwise....all that other stuff is typical teenage stuff.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2019, 2:25 pm

vinyl360 wrote:
Recently, I've decided with my parents that I was going to work on impulse control. Does anyone have any advice on how to work on it?

Counseling works, only thing I can suggest as a young adult with AS.

I have impulses like yours (I burnt an entire hive of bees and some other stuff just for the sake of it)
Also around people I get very angry if they make noise and I want to beat the s**t out of them, but since this would land me in jail and beaten up I tend to control it (Not easy tho! sometimes it gets hard while i'm trying to focus and people talk...)

I think counseling is the best option, especially with a female counselor (and also try to pick a psychologist who did some specific studies on AS and not just a counselor who knows nothing about autism and does not even have a degree.)

I'm doing psychotherapy sessions with a female counselor and it is going so good, I suggest you the same.