What do you think about creationist museums?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 7:27 pm

What do you think about creationist museums? I've seen them criticised even by people who identify as creationists.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 7:37 pm

What can one say about a museum that not only show humans and dinosaurs living side by side (like the flintstones cartoons come to life as dioramas), but display a triceratops with a saddle on its back of the kind "Christ might've used...the Bible doesn't specifically say that Christ rode dinosaurs, but he probably did"?

All that you can say is that its bat guano crazy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 May 2019, 9:41 pm

I don't know anything about them cuz I never been to one but naturalplastic made them sound interesting & I want to see

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 9:50 pm

doubtless they resonate with a certain portion of MAGAs

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 10:45 pm

It's a tempting idea. However, much as I disagree with their beliefs, I do think that reducing them to the level of being museum exhibits sounds a bit cruel. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 10:47 pm

IMHO there is much cruelty in the fundy crowd, so a cruel little museum sounds about right.

jifmam j jasond
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2019, 10:59 pm

It's not quiteas silly as the National Museum of Horse Dentures, or the Brass Toilet museum.
Brass toilets have superior acoustics.
They have some wonderful ideas for Christmas gifts in the Gift shop, your friend would be delighted to receive a genuine alto urinal.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 11:36 pm

I don't really care to be perfectly honest.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 11:55 pm

jifmam j jasond wrote:
It's not quiteas silly as the National Museum of Horse Dentures, or the Brass Toilet museum. Brass toilets have superior acoustics. They have some wonderful ideas for Christmas gifts in the Gift shop, your friend would be delighted to receive a genuine alto urinal.

:lmao:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 12:15 pm

NewTime wrote:
What do you think about creationist museums?
They're good for a few laughs.

Here is one that I would like to visit, if it actually existed:

THE MUSEUM OF CREATION

The Museum of Creation is a rather odd place. It is dedicated to all aspects of creation, from the cosmic to the artistic and biological. The showcase exhibit covers several ways the universe might have come into being, ranging from divine creation to physics as well as some additional hypotheses -- not all of which are intended to be taken seriously. The exhibit traces the early development of the universe to the present day, presenting several astrophysical phenomena that challenge existing theories, and finally presenting a complex and at times rather baffling argument that all creation theories are ultimately the same story with different names for the 'characters'. The idea that gods are the personification of physical laws and religious books tell the same story as science texts, just in different words, has prompted a certain amount of controversy but has simply increased visitor numbers.

Beyond the showcase exhibit the museum suddenly changes theme, and begins extoling the act of creation in technology, art, literature and biology. A fair amount of the museum is dedicated to the reproductive habits of various creatures, some of which are rather unusual, and there are entire galleries dedicated to great artists, inventors and the like. The focus is not so much on what they created as their influences and personality, and the universal search for the ‘spark of creation’ that inspired them.

The final exhibits attempt to pull together everything in the museum into a coherent whole, somehow linking the beginnings of the universe with the start of a life and the creation of a new device, piece of art or an idea. This section is distinctly strange and very metaphysical, but it does get people talking in the hugely expensive restaurant they pass through on the way out.

-- "Traveller Referee's Briefing 3: Going Portside", page 16 (©2016 Mongoose Publishing).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 8:19 pm

I think they're rather stupid, and that they shouldn't be held to the same regard as real museums that don't have a creationist agenda.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 6:48 pm

I want to go to one. It’d be hysterical. Of course, laughing would be rude, so I better stick with real museums.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 7:07 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I want to go to one. It’d be hysterical. Of course, laughing would be rude, so I better stick with real museums.

Never worry about laughing at stupid BS. If the believers' faith is strong, they'll survive.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 7:27 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Never worry about laughing at stupid BS. If the believers' faith is strong, they'll survive.

That’s true, but I wouldn’t want to get hit in the head with a rogue Bible (it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had religious publications thrown at me) or beaten with the rod they probably keep on hand for unruly children.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 1:50 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
It's a tempting idea. However, much as I disagree with their beliefs, I do think that reducing them to the level of being museum exhibits sounds a bit cruel. :lol:

We are talking about actual museums run by Young Earth Creationists themselves to illustrate/promote Young Earth Creationism in the U.S. There are a number in the US, including the ambitious huge "Ark Encounter" run by Ken Haim in Kentucky (centered on a five hundred foot long building built to look like the actual Noah's Ark) and there is at least one other major "Creationism Museum" ( I believe that it is actually called that)- with dioramas of cave people living alongside dinosaurs.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 2:35 pm

Trogluddite wrote:

Well played! :lol: