Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 1:20 pm

Questions:

What classes are you struggling with?

Are your parents paying for college or do you have loans?

What career are you hoping to have upon graduation?

Colleges usually have counselors for their students which is included in tuition. Have you tried talking to one?

You need to focus on your studies, not your love life. The break between semesters and summer vacation are for that.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2019, 12:43 am

30% of college graduates will find jobs related to their field of study.
70% of college graduates will find jobs that do not need
Most college graduates will have college debt and require years to pay it off.
Most college degrees are a complete waste of time, teach no life skills, no work skills or relevant to the real world.
Rethink college and consider taking any job you can get and you will have no debt and no regret.
College for me were the worst years of my life: debt, regret and no friends and no job prospects.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 8:28 am

2007kid wrote:

How do you get one? Is it as simple as not going back for a few semesters?

At least where I live, yes that is exactly how you do it. I was under the impression that you couldn't take more than a semester off and my wife (who used to work at the same University) pointed out that yes, you certainly can and most important of all your credits NEVER expire. In other words, I could be missing a semester from 2003 and could slide in and finish it this January without missing a beat. I believe the local community college gives you 4-5 years to complete a 2 year program mostly because the industry standards change so much, the College I went so gave 7 years to complete an approximately 1 year program and the one I am enrolled in now advises you to complete with 5 years but again there is no official time limit.

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Most college degrees are a complete waste of time, teach no life skills, no work skills or relevant to the real world.

That was the saddest part of all. After graduating I realized I had no idea how to search for a job (still don't years later) and the few professors who were willing to help in any way (always the part timers never the tenured ones) usually said something like "build your network". WTF does that mean and how do you "network"? One job coach even suggested a call centre: you didn't even need High School for that!!

Heck, I took economics in (apparently) one of the world leading business schools and I know almost NOTHING about economics. I gained most of my knowledge after graduating and one of the most painful lessons was how little what I learned had to do with reality. It eventually dawned on me that most of my business professors would fail instantly if they ever fell out of their ivory towers as they had no entrepreneur skills whatsoever. The one instructor who did have a business had it fail in spectacular fashion.

To put it in plain English: nobody is willing to pay you to tell them the difference between John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman at 4am but they sure as heck will open their wallet to fix their broken pipes or flickering power. The one thing I did learn about in University was the sunk cost fallacy: probably should have paid more attention to THAT lesson, especially knowing on the off chance I needed that degree in my career I could have returned to finish it part time.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2019, 12:05 pm

It is cruel sick joke being told by career job experts that you need to create a network. What a load of empty BS advice that leads to nothing. I have no friends, no family support, no experience and I have Aspergers. Applying for thousands of jobs since finishing college and stuck on welfare is a cruel sick joke. The job centres provide no support beside build your own network and search for your own job. Having Aspergers makes it even harder to find jobs. Being unemployed is hard enough but having Asperger makes it near impossible.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 12:34 pm

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
It is cruel sick joke being told by career job experts that you need to create a network.

Yes it is and then I spent years building one to the best of my ability only to continue to be passed over again and again. It's downright pathetic that I now know more about my field than my boss yet I can't even get an interview to a basic $40,000/yr position. I love how I was told for many years that employers love stability, steady work history yet I have been now told that having the same job for 13 years means people now assume I am lazy and unmotivated?!

Another person with useless advice told me that I try too hard and you need to learn to ask for a job without asking for it or mentioning that you are looking to move up. Once again I must ask WTF does that mean and how do can you possibly do that? If I never mention I am looking to move up people just assume I must be happy in my current role! :huh:

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2019, 11:31 pm

Quit college now if you already hate it because it only gets worse when you end up with a worthless degree that leads to no employment ever. You are left with debt, regret and a worthless degree that leads to no job and you feel worthless.

I applied for thousands of jobs and not a single job in 10 years since graduating.
I applied for worthless crap jobs like cleaning, factory, call centre, retail, fast food, etc but just like the entry level jobs and graduate jobs I was met with no response due to the high competition of countless other job applicants for every job vacancy.

Many applicants applying for the lowest paid jobs makes it near impossible to find employment.
I ignore the useless comments that make it sound like finding jobs is easy and they blame you for being lazy. I respond with ok boomer, there were plenty of jobs available back in your day but now labour market and the economy has changed.

I have accepted I will stay on welfare for the rest of life and never work because no employer will give me a chance and I do not have finance capital to start my own company.
Employers do not employ people with long periods of unemployment and they want explanations on why you were unemployed for so long.
Being in a position of power employers do not care and do not understand how difficult it is to find a job.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2019, 1:16 am

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most- ... 10-5881421

85% of college grads with Autism can not find jobs. Regarded as less employable that college grads without Autism.
35% of 18 year olds with Autism go to college. Most of them are better off finishing with high school diploma and skip college.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 1:57 pm

I took very high credit counts to start (I got high grades but was suicidal), dropped out for a year (did a lot of puzzles), then returned and took lighter loads, took summer courses to help, still stressed but more doable. I had a hard time caring for myself, studying and working part-time (got my jobs through student aid referrals). I did not know I had ASD, but I knew I needed support. I got counseling and school "accommodations" (make up tests, labs).

Not this is helpful for you directly, but here is a college that provides Executive Function support, etc. for it's ASD students. My point in in sharing it is that what you are going through is rough and with support (what you're here looking for and trying to figure out) it's doable. Also, this comforts me: validates the struggles I had, so I can reframe it as success and not shame.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/features/d ... ts-autism/

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2019, 6:13 am

I regret not quitting school at the end of Freshman Year. I would have skipped out on the useless final two years of High School and wasting years doing a worthless college degree that lead to only debt and regret.
That would have been more time playing video games and doing stuff I want to do instead of years wasted studying that leads to no employment.
I am a college graduate, I am unemployable and I have Aspergers, anxiety and depression.