Page 1 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

DragonflyGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2019, 12:01 pm

What a nasty disingenuous cow. She's trying to come across as reasonable, but she isn't siding with somebody who simply expressed an opinion about gender. She's knowingly standing in solidarity with somebody who was advocating the humiliation and denial of dignity to trans people. Somebody who was advocating a hostile and intimidating environment for us, in which physical attack is the next step along that road.

She should be shamed.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 12:13 pm

Can you post a history of what happened? I have never heard of a TERF before.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 12:31 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 53506.html

JK Rowling has defended a woman who lost her employment tribunal after her opinions on sex were ruled “absolutist”.

The Harry Potter author tweeted in support of Maya Forstater, 45, who was fired from her job at poverty think-tank, Centre for Global Development, over a series of tweets questioning government plans to allow people to self-identify as another gender.

On Wednesday, Ms Forstater took to Twitter to say she was in “shock and disbelief” at the judgement, which was handed down at the Central London Employment Tribunal. JK Rowling has defended a woman who lost her employment tribunal after her opinions on sex were ruled “absolutist”.

The Harry Potter author tweeted in support of Maya Forstater, 45, who was fired from her job at poverty think-tank, Centre for Global Development, over a series of tweets questioning government plans to allow people to self-identify as another gender.

On Wednesday, Ms Forstater took to Twitter to say she was in “shock and disbelief” at the judgement, which was handed down at the Central London Employment Tribunal.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

Maya Forstater wrote:
As I said at my tribunal I will as a matter of courtesy use preferred pronouns and I support human rights. Everyone should be free to express themselves, to break free of gender stereotypes and to live free of violence, harassment and discrimination.

But this does not require removing people’s freedom to speak about objective reality, or to discuss proposed changes to law and to government policies clearly.

Women face discrimination on the basis of our sex. Women's rights have been hard-won in recent generations. Protections against sex discrimination depend on being able to recognise sex. This is why it is a protected characteristic in the Equality Act.

The papers are barely saying anything, and when I look at these tweets in particular, it makes me wonder more what is going on rather than getting clarification.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 1:49 pm

I think that is intentional.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 2:05 pm

???

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 3:09 pm

Good for Rowling! Firing someone for have a different opinion should be condemned by everyone, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 3:34 pm

Tweets are difficult to find and it's hard for me to reach a conclusion without even knowing what went on.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 3:46 pm

If J.K. Rowling is a disgusting whatever-you-call-it, then male WP members are disgusting woman-hating incels who blame all their problems on feminism or any woman who stands for her rights. You really ARE evil heartless monsters who HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING THAT MADE MY LIFE STILL TOLERABLE and I'm SICK of it.

GOODBYE!! !

GOODBYE NOW AND FOREVER!! !

HORRIBLE CHRISTMAS AND STUPID NEW YEAR!! !

:wall:

DragonflyGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2019, 4:00 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Good for Rowling! Firing someone for have a different opinion should be condemned by everyone, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

I would never advocate such a thing, regardless of how much I disagreed with an individual. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

The woman was championing the dehumanisation of trans people, as though we're unworthy of common respect and it's fine to talk to us like we're something you've scraped off your shoe. This inevitably brings us closer to physical violence. The judge, quite rightly, said: “I conclude from … the totality of the evidence, that [Forstater] is absolutist in her view of sex and it is a core component of her belief that she will refer to a person by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment. The approach is not worthy of respect in a democratic society.”

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 7:25 pm

DragonflyGirl wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I would never advocate such a thing, regardless of how much I disagreed with an individual. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

The woman was championing the dehumanisation of trans people, as though we're unworthy of common respect and it's fine to talk to us like we're something you've scraped off your shoe. This inevitably brings us closer to physical violence. The judge, quite rightly, said: “I conclude from … the totality of the evidence, that [Forstater] is absolutist in her view of sex and it is a core component of her belief that she will refer to a person by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment. The approach is not worthy of respect in a democratic society.”

The fact that you claim Forstater's comments were "championing the dehumanization of trans people" is your opinion. But you're not going to get fired over having that opinion.

Speaking of violence, how do you feel about some members of the trans community advocating violence against TERFs? That s**t is occurring all over the internet. I don't see much backlash about that or people getting fired over it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

DragonflyGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2019, 8:35 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Speaking of violence, how do you feel about some members of the trans community advocating violence against TERFs? That s**t is occurring all over the internet. I don't see much backlash about that or people getting fired over it.

I don't advocate violence, and I haven't seen a single example of what you're claiming. All over the internet? Where?

VegetableMan wrote:
The fact that you claim Forstater's comments were "championing the dehumanization of trans people" is your opinion. But you're not going to get fired over having that opinion.

I think you'll find it's not simply my opinion, but a perfectly accurate observation, and the judge concurred with that.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 8:40 pm

twitter is a whole different world.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 9:09 pm

DragonflyGirl wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I don't advocate violence, and I haven't seen a single example of what you're claiming. All over the internet? Where?

Some of what I'm talking about is discussed in this article:

https://terfisaslur.com/

VegetableMan wrote:

DragonflyGirl wrote:
I think you'll find it's not simply my opinion, but a perfectly accurate observation, and the judge concurred with that.

Well, "a perfectly accurate observation" is still just an opinion, even if a judge agrees. I don't happen to agree with the judge's opinion.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

DragonflyGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2019, 9:38 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Some of what I'm talking about is discussed in this article:

https://terfisaslur.com/

Kids, eh?

I've never advocated violence against anybody.

You're a man. Should I find examples of men advocating violence (not at all hard) and tell you that this is what you're like?

VegetableMan wrote:
Well, "a perfectly accurate observation" is still just an opinion, even if a judge agrees. I don't happen to agree with the judge's opinion.

So you think it's perfectly okay to deny basic dignity to our demographic? You believe it's okay to misgender and deadname trans people? You think we're not worthy of basic respect as human beings?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 10:01 pm

How exactly is expressing an opinion that transwomen are not "biological females" denying you "basic dignity?" That's the part I'm missing.

Oscar Meyer Lansky