Page 9 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 6:15 pm

It’s like saying that being gay is a “choice” or a “wish” instead of a real aspect of who a person is.

It’d be belittling to those individuals’ experience.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 6:46 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
By the way, when have I ever bullied anyone on this site? Please provide evidence of that.

For what is worth - probably not much or more likely nothing, but here I go anyway - I have never seen you do that or engage in personal attacks.

We don't have a lot of views in common yet I greatly enjoy reading your posts because the ones I've seen are always articulate and civil. You give me the opportunity of getting a proper glimpse into a different perspective and a very different background without rants and fluff - I admit I greatly enjoy that kind of thing.

So, in case you didn't know, your posts and attitude are actually appreciated on this site, and not necessarily from a tribalistic/partisan perspective.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 7:25 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
"Dog whistle" is just another term being utilized to shut down discussion and demonize anyone who dares question trans ideology, which is operating under the flag of progressivism and tolerance. It seems rather authoritarian to me, and is anything BUT progressive and tolerant. This is not we create a more inclusive society.

Perhaps if more people on the left would condemn calls for violence against alleged TERFs with as much vigour as they condemn tweets like Rowling's, we'd be in a much better place.

What about the “ideology” of gay rights? Should we support and respect views that want to abolish gay marriage?

Or what about the “ideology” behind women’s rights and civil rights?

The word “ideology” is thrown around incorrectly a lot lately whenever someone doesn’t like something.

If a trans female says she is a woman, who am I to question it? I’m not in her mind so how would I be capable of judging her experience?

It seems like it would be really difficult to deal with the sorts of issues they face for it to merely be an empty ideology with no solid basis.

I’d be more than happy and willing to accept a trans female into whatever girlish hijinks we want to get involved in that day - talks about art and fashion, romantic movies, or perfecting our superhero powers with martial arts skills. The usual stuff.

As far as I know, the gay rights movement has never sought to erode the rights of others. The same can be said for the women's rights movement. I'm not saying that trans ideology is "baseless." But there is no getting around simple biological facts. The sex you were born will always be your biological sex until the day you die. How you wish to express yourself is another matter altogether. I'm fully supportive of breaking down gender stereotypes and allowing people identify in any way they see fit. What I'm against is this coercive social engineering and demoning anyone who doesn't fall in line with the trans movement.

Referring to it as an “ideology” and saying that that’s “how you wish to express yourself” could seem offensive to trans individuals who have struggled with gender identity and whose transgendered experience is very different than just a “wish.”

I'm sorry if my terminology is offensive. I'm willing to analyze it if the most belligerent in the trans community would return the favor. Gender dysphoria is a complex topic. There is nothing to be gained by shouting down opposing opinions in a fascist manner. I don't much like the mantra, "You're either for us or against us." It doesn't leave much wiggle room for intelligent discussion.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 7:28 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
By the way, when have I ever bullied anyone on this site? Please provide evidence of that.

For what is worth - probably not much or more likely nothing, but here I go anyway - I have never seen you do that or engage in personal attacks.

We don't have a lot of views in common yet I greatly enjoy reading your posts because the ones I've seen are always articulate and civil. You give me the opportunity of getting a proper glimpse into a different perspective and a very different background without rants and fluff - I admit I greatly enjoy that kind of thing.

So, in case you didn't know, your posts and attitude are actually appreciated on this site, and not necessarily from a tribalistic/partisan perspective.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate the support! I'm far from perfect, but don't believe I deserved to be called either a bully or a transphobe.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 9:12 pm

@ VegetableMan

You also kind of separated trans women out from women in general, which is kind of considered transphobic. You kind of asked to think of the women who feel uncomfortable, not really seeing that your comment ignores that the alternative is women feeling uncomfortable, and arguably to a greater amount. So your sentence implies that trans women are not women.

I know you are using the words different to I am, you are referring to sex, as you think that is the important distinction. It can perhaps have some importance in sports, where sex can influence the body for athleticism, and it has been acknowledged to be a very complex topic by those in the trans community. Those who acknowledge that the sports is broken up in the first place to have even playing fields of sex, are not saying that someone identifies as the other gender and now gets to be in their sports.

As it stands, a lot of trans people take something called HRT, Hormone Replacement Therapy, and does quite a bit to change the body. You can run a quick google search of some before and afters of HRT. I saw some videos somewhere that I think mentioned that some sports allow a trans person to compete after they have done approximately a year of taking HRT, supposedly this levels the playing field. But the specifics of that is being handled by biology scientists who are following that sort of thing more directly, it is out the purview for most of us to make some judgement, and very complex.

In regards to other spaces, I think that this discussion requires some testimony from trans people that want to use the spaces that do not align with their birth sex, especially those with gender dysphoria. Because there really seems to be no way people like you are going to believe their situation through these second or third hand stories. They are not just dressing up and presenting as their gender because they want some special privilege, or that they like feminine or masculine things. They seriously feel (know) in their mind, with their brain, that they are the gender they identify as, and their body does not reflect that. It is as true to them as it is to you, but this has come in spite of their sex.

The idea of saying that it is just some choice is a mockery to what a lot of them have to deal with. Like they really chose to be ostracised by a great deal of those in society, to be made fun of, harassed, at risk of violence, and in general make their lives harder. Some people believe that trans people are doing it out of some weird fetish thing, which is silly that trans people go though all of that to get themselves off. Contrapoints has a pretty good video titled Autogynephilia on this subject.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm

Biological sex (in the context of my post I'll refer to it as "sex") is becoming disassociated with or no longer tied to gender. To each their own in that regard as far as I'm concerned.

However, in my opinion it would be wrong as a society to depart from reality and even punish those who assert such things.

Example:

Biological males don't have uteri nor do they have ovaries; they can't produce ova. Biological females don't have prostate glands nor do they have testicles; they can't produce sperm. Those are facts. That's reality.

There was something in the news recently about a biological male to female trans person who wanted a doctor to perform a Pap smear to which the doctor refused? This would be similar to a biological female to male trans person asking for a prostate exam. Those cases would not be rooted in reality.

To force a doctor and society at large to pretend that a biological female had a prostate gland and perform a prostate exam when no prostate exists, or worse craft some sort of legal punishment for opposing such things on the basis of reality would be wrong in my opinion.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 11:04 pm

[
In regards to other spaces, I think that this discussion requires some testimony from trans people that want to use the spaces that do not align with their birth sex, especially those with gender dysphoria. Because there really seems to be no way people like you are going to believe their situation through these second or third hand stories. They are not just dressing up and presenting as their gender because they want some special privilege, or that they like feminine or masculine things. They seriously feel (know) in their mind, with their brain, that they are the gender they identify as, and their body does not reflect that. It is as true to them as it is to you, but this has come in spite of their sex.

The idea of saying that it is just some choice is a mockery to what a lot of them have to deal with. Like they really chose to be ostracised by a great deal of those in society, to be made fun of, harassed, at risk of violence, and in general make their lives harder. Some people believe that trans people are doing it out of some weird fetish thing, which is silly that trans people go though all of that to get themselves off. Contrapoints has a pretty good video titled Autogynephilia on this subject.[/quote]

And yet, even knowing the above, I still think there needs to be open debate.

The reason Maya Forstater spoke up was because of proposals to make it easier for trans people to formally change their documented gender.
Personally, I hope they do make it easier. Why must trans people wait years and jump through hoops for their gender identity to be recognised?

But it does potentially open doors to people who have not completed transition, or who are still uncertain about their gender, or maybe pretending to be trans (for whatever reason), or even are truly mentally ill, to gain documents of gender change. Even accepting that the vast majority of transwomen pose no threat, the potential danger in allowing all these people into spaces for the opposite biological sex needs to be recognised and considered.

The issue is that any debate on this is stifled by accusations of bigotry and transphobia. Maybe there is an element of transphobia there, maybe not. If we're open to discussion, maybe we'll find out.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 11:32 pm

In July, a clinician in the UK resigned over view that debate was being silenced. This is someone who has been working in a gender identity clinic, not someone trans-phobic or trans exclusive.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... transition

'Evans said that since his resignation he had become concerned that the debate around transitioning had been shut down by a vocal minority. “The mind that is free to think or ask difficult questions is treated as a real threat; TV producers and journalists continually report that while people are willing to speak in confidence to them about their reservations about treatment in these areas, they shy away from being named, for fear of being accused of being bigoted and transphobic and sometimes either disciplined or even sacked for speaking their mind.”'

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 11:57 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
But it does potentially open doors to people who have not completed transition,

This is one of the things that those of the trans community does not think should be assumed up for debate, that a trans person is not already the gender they identify as, and needs to transition, assumedly to change their sex, that they can be held back if people deem that they did not change enough. A trans stance is that it should indeed be based on some level of being comfortable, if someone would be more comfortable going into one bathroom over the other, including based on how they look, that should be taken into consideration. If they look a bit "manish" but would feel more comfortable being looked as strangely going into the women's restroom than the men's, then shouldn't that mean something?

Swapping between spaces on a whim probably should not be encouraged or allowed, and I say that as someone who identifies some gender fluidity. Psychological testing like those done for gender dysphoria could be used for people suspected of perversion and or unstable nature, but gender dysphoria itself is not a defining aspect of trans people, a trans person may not suffer dysphoria. Some very comprehensive studies may be required, but I am sure that many of us here are aware of the stigma against gender studies has from a lot of groups.

And there is a limit to how much any one group should really have the authority to lead these discussions. You need experts who are informed. You don't rely some racist KKK person to help discuss something on the rights of black people, or even just some random uninformed white person who is far away from anyone of colour. I am not going to accuse anyone here of being bigots on the trans issue, rather not informed on a lot of things. It was why a lot of people were not confident to name Rowling as a bigot when she was just liking tweets, but the moment she did one her herself that had a hashtag to defend a bigot (courts have said it was bigotry), she lost that privilege. Also including #ThisIsNotADrill, to say that she wants action in spreading the ideology.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 2:26 am

Watched a couple videos that are very fair to J.K. Rowling, while explaining why she is being labelled as transphobic.

I think they both keep anything that could be name calling out of the explanations, and can explain quite plainly what has come out is seen as troubling by people in the trans community.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 3:24 am

Bradleigh wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

This is one of the things that those of the trans community does not think should be assumed up for debate, that a trans person is not already the gender they identify as, and needs to transition, assumedly to change their sex, that they can be held back if people deem that they did not change enough.

This is one of the things we should be free to debate openly. Because obviously many women would feel uncomfortable if someone who still still appears male enters the womens bathroom, even if she identifies as a transwoman and wears a dress. And much as one sympathises that the transwoman wishes to identify as a woman, we have to draw a line somewhere. I believe open debate on this is to the benefit of all, cis and trans, so that we can develop solutions everyone is happy with.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 3:41 am

Bradleigh wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

If they look a bit "manish" but would feel more comfortable being looked as strangely going into the women's restroom than the men's, then shouldn't that mean something?

Swapping between spaces on a whim probably should not be encouraged or allowed, and I say that as someone who identifies some gender fluidity.

Yes :)
Believe it or not, I'm non-binary myself, and have been successful at passing as a man on a cursory look and have suffered that excruciating quandary of which bathroom to pick.
However I don't have significant dysphoria, I'm really only part-time cross-dresser, and I've picked using the ladies exclusively, even when dressed in mens clothes.
This is definitely easier to do as a female-to-male cross-dresser, I think the male-to-female have a much harder time of it. Society seems more accepting of a woman in mans clothes than vice versa.
So I'm not unsympathetic, truly. I just see a lot of problems caused by a lack of understanding or consideration of non-binary gender identities (amongst both cis and trans folks) - and I dislike seeing debate stifled by name-calling.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 11:37 am

Bradleigh wrote:
@ VegetableMan

You also kind of separated trans women out from women in general, which is kind of considered transphobic. You kind of asked to think of the women who feel uncomfortable, not really seeing that your comment ignores that the alternative is women feeling uncomfortable, and arguably to a greater amount. So your sentence implies that trans women are not women.

I know you are using the words different to I am, you are referring to sex, as you think that is the important distinction. It can perhaps have some importance in sports, where sex can influence the body for athleticism, and it has been acknowledged to be a very complex topic by those in the trans community. Those who acknowledge that the sports is broken up in the first place to have even playing fields of sex, are not saying that someone identifies as the other gender and now gets to be in their sports.

As it stands, a lot of trans people take something called HRT, Hormone Replacement Therapy, and does quite a bit to change the body. You can run a quick google search of some before and afters of HRT. I saw some videos somewhere that I think mentioned that some sports allow a trans person to compete after they have done approximately a year of taking HRT, supposedly this levels the playing field. But the specifics of that is being handled by biology scientists who are following that sort of thing more directly, it is out the purview for most of us to make some judgement, and very complex.

The idea of saying that it is just some choice is a mockery to what a lot of them have to deal with. Like they really chose to be ostracised by a great deal of those in society, to be made fun of, harassed, at risk of violence, and in general make their lives harder. Some people believe that trans people are doing it out of some weird fetish thing, which is silly that trans people go though all of that to get themselves off. Contrapoints has a pretty good video titled Autogynephilia on this subject.

Again, differences in perception and opinions are not the primary issue in my opinion. What is the issue is the belligerent nature of trans activism and the authoritarian nature of it.

I don't believe somebody should viciously attacked for stating a biological fact, nor do I believe that it is necessarily transphobic. I don't believe that calls for violence against feminists should go virtually unreported, while a rather innocuous tweet like the one Rowling made stirs up a shitstorm and opens her up to all manner of slurs and abuse, most of which has been tolerated in this thread, yet my comments have been labeled transphobic and myself a bully -- by a moderator, no less.

Those are my opinions. I've been a supporter of LGBT rights for years. My sister was a lesbian who was occasionally was mistaken for a man. A few years before she died, she talked to my family how she even considered sexual reassignment surgery. I suspect if she were alive today, she'd be as shocked as I am about what is going on.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 11:41 am

Just because someone declares an identity that does not match the physical evidence does not mean that anyone else has to accept their declaration or even acknowledge it.

Of course, it also doesn't mean that anyone should be abusive about it, either ... on either side.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Just because someone declares an identity that does not match the physical evidence does not mean that anyone else has to accept their declaration or even acknowledge it.

Of course, it also doesn't mean that anyone should be abusive about it, either ... on either side.

Once again, some cold hard common sense. Thanks, Fnord!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 12:28 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Just because someone declares an identity that does not match the physical evidence does not mean that anyone else has to accept their declaration or even acknowledge it.  Of course, it also doesn't mean that anyone should be abusive about it, either ... on either side.
Once again, some cold hard common sense. Thanks, Fnord!
It's what I do.

Now to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged SJWs whose ideas of common sense are neither common nor sensible...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.