Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brivae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2020, 3:15 am

I posted this thread in a topic discussion outside of this one. I was wondering if there are any LGBTQ people who enjoy meditation/yoga.

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2020, 10:16 am

Brivae wrote:
I posted this thread in a topic discussion outside of this one. I was wondering if there are any LGBTQ people who enjoy meditation/yoga.

I meditate daily, in the Yoga Nidra fashion. I find that it strengthens my ability to recognize and redirect unhelpful thoughts and patterns of behavior. It helps me to be aware of what is happening 'now' instead of worrying about the future or regretting the past. It helps me be more present in the conduct of my daily life, instead of letting myself be buffeted and knocked about by whatever the world has been hitting me with. It's like weight lifting for your mind, so that you can learn to use it intentionally, instead of letting it be used by the world to achieve its chaotic ends. You might say that it helps you to participate in your life to a greater degree.
But yeah, I'm gay and I meditate.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 11:14 am

Meditation and yoga are really great ways to relieve stress and lighten whatever load you’re carrying.

I struggle with constant low levels of anxiety and I tense my body without realizing it. I feel a lot lighter and buoyant after a yoga session.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2020, 5:07 pm

I do yoga daily, it's very relaxing. I try periodically to practice meditation, but usually seem to fill any free time with other activities instead.

Brivae

06 Jan 2020, 5:02 am

Max1951 wrote:
Brivae wrote:

I meditate daily, in the Yoga Nidra fashion. I find that it strengthens my ability to recognize and redirect unhelpful thoughts and patterns of behavior. It helps me to be aware of what is happening 'now' instead of worrying about the future or regretting the past. It helps me be more present in the conduct of my daily life, instead of letting myself be buffeted and knocked about by whatever the world has been hitting me with. It's like weight lifting for your mind, so that you can learn to use it intentionally, instead of letting it be used by the world to achieve its chaotic ends. You might say that it helps you to participate in your life to a greater degree.

Yeah, I get that feeling too and I could definitely agree with that. Have you gotten to the point where you are able to be present in the moment with no thoughts and it is all just silent?

Brivae

06 Jan 2020, 5:05 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Meditation and yoga are really great ways to relieve stress and lighten whatever load you’re carrying.

I struggle with constant low levels of anxiety and I tense my body without realizing it. I feel a lot lighter and buoyant after a yoga session.

I have not really gotten into yoga much, but it seems interesting. I’ve been more so on the meditation side of meditation/yoga. Some practices consider meditation as a form of yoga too though. But yeah, yoga can be pretty involved.

Sometimes when I’m tense, I forget to breathe. Lol.

Brivae

06 Jan 2020, 5:06 am

darkwaver wrote:
I do yoga daily, it's very relaxing. I try periodically to practice meditation, but usually seem to fill any free time with other activities instead.

How did you start yoga? I am kind of on the opposite approach where I am more comfortable with meditation.

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2020, 9:07 am

Brivae wrote:
Max1951 wrote:
Brivae wrote:

Yeah, I get that feeling too and I could definitely agree with that. Have you gotten to the point where you are able to be present in the moment with no thoughts and it is all just silent?

Yes. That's what the exercise is all about. Normally, some influence from the environment would cause you to remember something from the past, and that memory would call up more associate memories, and before you know it, you hit on some unpleasant memory and project it out into the future, and your default mode has put you in an anxiety situation.

The trick is to cut off the default mode of thinking before it can call up memories. The way that you cut off memories is to concentrate on the current sensory experience; relaxing tensed muscles; mindful breathing; mindful everything; concentrate on what is happening now (Yoga has these came goals). Turning your attention to the present, exercises the brain muscle that controls attention, so that you can be aware of where your mind is taking you, and be able to switch your mind back to the present.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2020, 4:06 pm

Brivae wrote:
How did you start yoga? I am kind of on the opposite approach where I am more comfortable with meditation.

I took a yoga class in college just for an elective, and have kept up the practice ever since.