Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 5:22 am

I was recently diagnosed with ASD (and GAD). The Atypical supporting roles of mother (Elsa) and girlfriend (Paige) remind me of myself - I'm an overexpresser, oversensitive and overdoer. I just finished Season 3 Episode 5 and am especially triggered by Paige's college drop out, similar to my own - except I internalized, not externalized. Is this a subplot for the lack of ASD/BAP diagnosis in women? Or else why do they resonate with me?

Anybody else?

kmarie57
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2020, 9:29 am

I have also wondered about both of them being on the spectrum. I look forward to future season(s) to see if the writers take the show down that path. I think I would like it if they did.

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2022, 10:45 am

I realize I'm necro'ing an old thread, but Paige was fascinating (and a bit triggering) to me. She reminds me *exactly* of my high-masking, overcompensating mother. And a bit of my (AFAB, autistic) ex.

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

H_Taterz

20 Jun 2022, 11:00 am

Maybe I'll have to check it out again after I finish this CompTIA class I'm taking.
I started watching the show, but I didn't find it all that interesting and I stopped watching it mid-first season. I thought it was tropey and not particularly funny or relatable. Is it supposed to be a drama?

orbweaver wrote:
I realize I'm necro'ing an old thread, but Paige was fascinating (and a bit triggering) to me. She reminds me *exactly* of my high-masking, overcompensating mother. And a bit of my (AFAB, autistic) ex.

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2022, 11:07 am

H_Taterz wrote:
Maybe I'll have to check it out again after I finish this CompTIA class I'm taking.
I started watching the show, but I didn't find it all that interesting and I stopped watching it mid-first season. I thought it was tropey and not particularly funny or relatable. Is it supposed to be a drama?

orbweaver wrote:

Admittedly it is kind of tropey. It's another of the recent shows about autistic characters in which I didn't see myself (which is one of many factors contributing to my being in denial about my autism for 14 years). I don't even see my male autistic-diagnosed (some of whom were in special ed) friends in him given that he's portrayed as lacking some empathy.

I have to say though that when Sam gets to school as an art student, something interesting happens, and *that* experience, I definitely see myself in as someone who became an art/design student. (I was very much like Sam, except I was a cute girl, which led to a whole different set of experiences.)

When we see him in an art program, with other art students... suddenly, his autism making him really stand out?? That just... kind of fades away. He's an art student, and all the art students are kinda weird.

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

flat_affect

22 Apr 2024, 7:15 pm

I speculated a little about Paige, ALOT about Elsa, especially after the convo with her mother about how she was a difficult child.

Sam represents my fantasy of an ideal childhood, even if he is a bit of a caricature. I do see myself in some of his hand stims and "What's that smell?" expressions he frequently makes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 11:33 pm

Paige drove me nuts especially at the end with the penguin thing.
I had no respect for Elsa because of the way she treated her husband (having an affair).

I loved the dad.

That being said, I think Elsa was supposed to be undx.

I don't know what the heck Paige was, but she was very annoying.
She seemed like a bad stereotype of something but I don't know what.

His sister Casey was one of the best female TV characters I've ever seen.

flat_affect

23 Apr 2024, 3:50 pm

Yup. Elsa's an a-hole, Casey is the cool, smart-ass sister everyone wishes they had and I can't imagine anyone NOT finding Paige annoying.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 4:06 pm

His guy friend was great too. He would have done better to hook up with him.

/ jokes but really (?)

flat_affect

23 Apr 2024, 8:17 pm

Hmmm, Zahid is less annoying than Paige. You might be on to something. But Sam would never convince Zahid to go to Antarctica with him.