Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2020, 8:09 pm

I was wondering if a chrome book would be a good laptop if i don't plan on using it for gaming? I just want a device with a good battery life, for the internet, watching movies and maybe writing

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 8:19 pm

Yes, they're good for those things. We've owned two now. They're well suited as a small laptop to surf the internet and stream. Writing? If you wrote using a Google Documents or some other writing app from the Google Play Store.

Keep in mind you can't load software onto them like you can a regular laptop. Also, you can't download drivers for hardware like you can a laptop. You can print to/configure many printers to work with them but not all printers. You can't hook up a scanner to them that I'm aware of.

So...they're good for what they're good for but they're NOT the equivalent of a regular laptop in regard to functionality.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 8:26 pm

You can buy a lot of good PC laptops for the same money, in some cases the Chromebooks may be more reliable but they're slower computers for the price & they're also very low on storage space.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 8:28 pm

A friend of mine had one (6-7 years ago) and pretty much hated it for the same reasons listed above and more. I think he returned it after a couple of days and got a similarly priced laptop instead.
I don't have any first hand experience with one, so I can't say.
I've had a few laptops ranging from free to less than $200 that worked pretty well after I got rid of windows, though.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 9:16 pm

I have a MacBook from 2009 that works like a charm. It's my only computer & I rely on it daily to do my schoolwork and other online pursuits. Get one of them instead of the Chromebook--it will allow you some independence away from Google.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:43 am

I do not understand why anyone would want a Chromebook. It's a laptop that arbitrarily has limited functionality, that seems to serve Google more than the consumer. It really seems like a device that Google should be paying users to use, not the other way around.

BlueOysterCultist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2020, 1:48 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I do not understand why anyone would want a Chromebook. It's a laptop that arbitrarily has limited functionality, that seems to serve Google more than the consumer. It really seems like a device that Google should be paying users to use, not the other way around.

I agree with you, but not every knows about refurbished laptops or is comfortable buying and using one.