Fauci forecast: 100,000 - 200,000 American deaths.

Page 1 of 38 [ 593 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 4:32 pm

https://vancouversun.com/pmn/business-p ... 1585501118

But that could change. If I were a gambling man, my money would be on a higher number. Not based on what I’d like to see, based on what I Am seeing in terms of both leadership and peoples’ behaviour.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 5:24 pm

Dr. Fauci was on Television a few moments ago. He said those were model estimates based on "the absence of mitigation efforts". This probably fed into the decision to continue mitigation efforts until 30 April, to bring the pandemic under control.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 5:29 pm

Similar model prognostications were made about the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. At this point in time H1N1 infected 95 times more people in just the US than COVID19 has worldwide.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 5:39 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Dr. Fauci was on Television a few moments ago. He said those were model estimates based on "the absence of mitigation efforts". This probably fed into the decision to continue mitigation efforts until 30 April, to bring the pandemic under control.

30 states are still doing nothing. Mitigation efforts appear to be minimal across the USA, soooo..

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 5:40 pm

EzraS wrote:
Similar model prognostications were made about the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. At this point in time H1N1 infected 95 times more people in just the US than COVID19 has worldwide.

H1N1 wasn’t as deadly And didn’t cause the respiratory symptoms that require ventilators in dire cases like this does. Apples to oranges.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 6:12 pm

I don’t see the 100,000-200,000 scenario playing out.

Clearly, there have been stringent mitigation efforts in many places. Plus Trump extended the social distancing guidelines until April 30, though they are voluntary. (Most state guidelines in effect run through the first half of April, Texas’s run through April 3).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 6:19 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Clearly, there have been stringent mitigation efforts in many places. Plus Trump extended the social distancing guidelines until April 30, though they are voluntary. (Most state guidelines in effect run through the first half of April, Texas’s run through April 3).

Why not?

The way things are going I see at least that.

Wait and see as the daily numbers skyrocket.

12-18 months from now, I can totally see these numbers becoming reality.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:03 pm

President Trump had a news conference a few minutes ago. Let me try and highlight what was said because I misspoke.

Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx have been consulting a number of models and the models are projecting a high mortality in the U.S.

Trump said he'd seen early estimates that 2.2 million people could have died if the government had done nothing in a worst-case scenario, so "if we can hold that down to 100,000" or less, it would be a "good job." Had the country simply ridden the virus "like a cowboy" and driven "that sucker right through," the president insisted, disaster would have unfolded.

Fauci said the April 30 extension came after he, Dr. Deborah Birx and other members of the task force had made the recommendation.

In response to a question at the briefing, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, reiterated his estimate from earlier in the day that it remained possible that 100,000 to 200,000 people could die in the United States. "What we’re trying to do is not let that happen," he said, calling the extension of social-distancing guidelines "a wise and prudent decision." Over 2,300 people with the virus already have died in the U.S.

Source: Trump says coronavirus 'peak in death rate' likely in 2 weeks, extends social-distancing guidelines through April 30

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:20 pm

I'm not comparing the symptoms of H1N1 to COVID19, but I know dire predictions were made about it at the time, including it being the next Spanish Flu. They pretty much have to go with worst case scenarios to avoid the risk of underestimating. And if it turns out to not be nearly that bad, they can say that was due to all the shutdowns and prolonged distancing. In the meantime there is still the possibility of an effective treatment and vaccine being developed.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:41 pm

It's not going to be that high, and they know that.

They're saying that number simply to make Trump's team look better in the end. For example, suppose the total deaths in the end is 37,000. Trump will say, "We protected America and saved hundreds of thousands of lives through hard work and dedication by our team of experts."

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:51 pm

EzraS wrote:
I'm not comparing the symptoms of H1N1 to COVID19, but I know dire predictions were made about it at the time, including it being the next Spanish Flu. They pretty much have to go with worst case scenarios to avoid the risk of underestimating. And if it turns out to not be nearly that bad, they can say that was due to all the shutdowns and prolonged distancing. In the meantime there is still the possibility of an effective treatment and vaccine being developed.

I contracted H1N1 during that outbreak. It was confirmed by a very uncomfortable albeit quick swab test. When I was at my weakest and the disease was at its strongest I gained firsthand perspective as to how older people and the vulnerable could die from it and I wondered if I was going to get worse and die from it.

I hope Covid-19 isn't worse than H1N1 for those who contract it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 8:18 pm

EzraS wrote:

Except compared to countries that have slowed the spread, the USA isn’t shutdown and people aren’t distancing. Soooo, there’s that..

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 10:49 pm

Right all the closed business, millions laid off and empty streets doesn't add up to anything because it's America. Or is it that we're not doing enough enemas?

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2020, 11:38 pm

jimmy m wrote:
President Trump had a news conference a few minutes ago. Let me try and highlight what was said because I misspoke.

Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx have been consulting a number of models and the models are projecting a high mortality in the U.S.

Trump said he'd seen early estimates that 2.2 million people could have died if the government had done nothing in a worst-case scenario, so "if we can hold that down to 100,000" or less, it would be a "good job." Had the country simply ridden the virus "like a cowboy" and driven "that sucker right through," the president insisted, disaster would have unfolded.

Fauci said the April 30 extension came after he, Dr. Deborah Birx and other members of the task force had made the recommendation.

In response to a question at the briefing, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, reiterated his estimate from earlier in the day that it remained possible that 100,000 to 200,000 people could die in the United States. "What we’re trying to do is not let that happen," he said, calling the extension of social-distancing guidelines "a wise and prudent decision." Over 2,300 people with the virus already have died in the U.S.

Source: Trump says coronavirus 'peak in death rate' likely in 2 weeks, extends social-distancing guidelines through April 30

So it is estimated that 100,000 to 200,000 will die with the death rate peaking in the next two weeks the must expect a lot of people to die in the next two weeks.

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 11:52 pm

EzraS wrote:
Right all the closed business, millions laid off and empty streets doesn't add up to anything because it's America. Or is it that we're not doing enough enemas?

A few major cities locking things down pretty good (after the spread already happened..) isn’t the same thing as your entire country shutting down and sheltering in place.

There are numerous reports of crowds of people doing unnecessary retail shopping because they’re bored, non essential workers still going to work, churches and other places holding mass gatherings, governors lifting city mitigation measures to keep their state economies going, and generally people going about their daily lives as per usual because they don’t believe this is a credible threat.

It doesn’t matter how shut down you think things are. It doesn’t matter how open for business I think they are. It doesn’t matter how many confirmed cases there are. The bottom line number that matters is the C-19 death toll. You think it’s going to be low based on the behaviour you see, I think it’s going to be much higher based on the behaviour I see. Remember: It’s not the behaviour of those best behaved who dictate the outcome of this.. it’s those worst behaved, and there’s a troublingly high number of the American people misbehaving for various reasons. Time will tell who’s correct.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 12:36 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

It has a ways to go before reaching 45 million cases or 61,000 deaths like the 2017-2018 flu.

Plus all the measures being taken should also reduce the number of flu cases.

Fun fact. According to the CDC there are at least 225,000 deaths per month in the United States.