Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 10:52 pm

It seems that it was only about 5 years ago since I turned 20, and I have more memories of being in my early 20s, then after I turned 25 the time just rushed by and now I'm 30.
Where has my 20s gone?

I liked being 20-25, because you are old enough to do anything but you can still get away with being a bit naive and even immature at times.

Also I've been a regular member on WP for the WHOLE of my 20s. Wow. Where's all that time gone?

8O

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 11:35 pm

The past 14 years of my life flew by, will be 34 this year. My 20s passed me by, spent most of the last 15 years fighting chronic illnesses, unable to really move forward in my life, like complete college or get a job. I suspect I'll be 40 before I know it. :|

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:04 am

My whole life since college has pretty much been the same, except for a year’s stint as a janitor and several trips to hospitals for mental health reasons to break up the monotony. Time really doesn’t have any meaning to me anymore, except to note when I need to attend appointments and stuff.

I really wish I could do college over again. I wasn’t even remotely prepared, went into it with pretty much zero study skills because until then I’d always gotten good grades without studying one bit (thanks to the stereotypical Aspie memory I had for most of that time), so I never actually learned how to study effectively. As a result, I barely even retained enough information in college classes to even get Cs, and remember even less now. Could do without getting dragged into that evangelical (like, the sign for the main church building should be next to the term “evangelical” in the dictionary) church group again, though :wink:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:21 am

Hugs Joe. You will be a great person no matter what your age.

When I was 20 I was in University, listening to The Cure and sporting a really bad perm. I wouldn't want to go back to those years because I had a lot of anxiety about my future, and I didn't understand myself very well. I do miss my friend Alfred, though. He had a better perm than I did, and he looked great in black eyeliner. :skull: :heart:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 3:07 am

Joe90 wrote:
Also I've been a regular member on WP for the WHOLE of my 20s. Wow. Where's all that time gone?

8O

happy anniversary! ha

everyone i have ever talked to about this subject, says that at this point in one's life, the passage of time starts to accelerate more and more and it does not let up. i know it won't always be feasible, but i implore you to seek out as many new experiences as possible, meet new people, go to new places, etc etc
if you can and want to of course :wink:

you can't slow down time, but you can make the time that does pass more memorable and worthwhile. i will be 23 in under a month and am starting to notice the clock spinning faster myself.

people in their 80s have reported the "middle" of their life, with regards to the feeling of time past, to be in their mid 20s rather than their 40s. this is not to freak you out but maybe you will be better off with the information?

take care

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 7:58 am

Equal employment opportunity commission for gender 2012. Age 29

So any age under 29, do not wish for

There is something wrong with everything

Ulcerative colitis

Eczema

Diseases rapidly getting much worse

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 8:27 am

Me too, though I'm not sure if I could do things differently... I was unemployed at the time, but if I'd had the social skills and such that I do now, maybe I would've gotten a stable job already at twenty, or perhaps even something better than what I have now.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 9:15 am

When I was 20 I had just dropped out of art college and was working as the stores/stock controller of a factory that made electronic components of military hardware, which I was good at, but hated. Also was smoking ridiculous amounts of pot and watching my only friend lose his mind without any comprehension of what was happening to him.
If I were to go back it would be to when I was 19: my dad offered to pull some strings with old contacts to get me onto the fine art course at Oxford, I turned him down (thought it was immoral) and it was probably the single daftest decision I’ve made.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 9:35 am

I have another a distinct memory of being 20.

I was home from Uni for Christmas, and at the hair salon getting a spiral perm :P. News announcers interrupted the soap opera they were airing, and said that Roy Orbison had died. I was so upset I tried to leave with all the little plastic rollers in my hair. The hair people had to calm me down and convince me to stay until the solution was rinsed out. Then I left with wet hair, and cried in my car. No wonder my perm was so bad that year.

In other events I was already in a longterm relationship with my first boyfriend, who ended up being gay. We were already talking about wanting to get married, etc. I look back and can't believe how young I was, vs. how old and mature I felt. In some ways I felt older then, than I do now.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:11 pm

I've just turned 25 myself.
The latter half way to 30 is faster than the former half? Hmmm...

I wonder how much does this compare, from 20-30 to 30-40. Is 30-40 faster?

And, when I was 20... It felt like I'm still barely budding from there, in some sense so to speak.
I barely sprouted at 17 when everyone else is already past the stage of budding, some on a verge of bloom.
At 25, I'm still barely budding while everyone else is on full bloom. :| So I never wondered where all the time went by as a child and a teenager; I'm just aware that a part of me had yet to catch up and grow, never regretting. Even if I couldn't entirely feel my age, I'd know there will always be another way to move on to another stage just not with one's typical road.

To force myself to do so wouldn't likely to do me any good as much as I wished otherwise -- to bloom at 20-young, yet I'm beginning to appreciate that I could afford not to do so.
If anything, I feel everyone just grows too fast and sometimes seem forcibly too. I'd likely wonder when the world's people would snap because of it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 1:23 pm

I suspect I’m some sort of non-flowering plant (with stunted growth at that), never going to bloom. But I’m in a garden full of flowering plants and the gardener expects me to bloom, too, and is disappointed in me when I keep not blooming, not realizing that I’m a type of plant that just doesn’t produce flowers.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 May 2020, 1:11 pm

I feel like the time I was 18 - early twenties went by the fastest. The time since then seems to move on really slowly again.

A reason childhood & teenage years seem long is because you're still developing faster mentally. From an 18 year old perspective 10 years ago you were 8 so it seems like ages ago because you were totally different back then. Now at 27 I look back and I don't see the contrast between my 10 year younger self and now in the same strong way so it might not seem ages ago (& I might even think: where has the time gone?) because as a person I was was the way I'm now, just with less perspective.

I don't wish to be 20 again.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 5:20 pm

Quote:
i know it won't always be feasible, but i implore you to seek out as many new experiences as possible, meet new people, go to new places, etc etc
if you can and want to of course :wink:

If and when they find a vaccine for this stupid virus so that we can all do these things again. I'll probably be 80 before they do.

I think I feel so old at 30 because I remember both my parents being in their 30s but I don't remember either of them being in their 20s. So I can't believe I'm now older than what my parents were when I was very little.

I didn't exactly enjoy life at 20, as I didn't go out partying or clubbing or anything, was unemployed and going through some mental health issues and kept having rage outbursts and verbally abusing my family. But I was still young. I just feel frightened at how quick the time is going and how I'm 30 all of a sudden.

And I'm wishing this year away instead of enjoying it, because I just want them to find a vaccine for coronavirus. How can you not wish your time away at a time like this?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 6:27 pm

As you get older you get the confidence to do whatever you want and not care what anyone thinks.

I'm enjoying being older. I'm too old for anyone to talk down to as just a youngster. My opinion has some weight.

It's funny when people think I'm younger than I am though. I had a woman go mental at me on Facebook when I commented on a news article because she assumed from my profile pic I was a teenager. Woman needs glasses.

She was trying to tell me what the world was like before smartphones and broadband :lol:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 2:19 am

hurtloam wrote:
I'm enjoying being older. I'm too old for anyone to talk down to as just a youngster. My opinion has some weight.

I gotta admit that that's one thing I look forward to when it comes to getting older.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 2:46 am

ah!
ah?
turned twenty in france
after dropping the smack
i got a twitch from the pastis though
avignon and the deja vu's
weird
chased from some property because the wife thought i was flirting the hub 8O