Which of your autistic traits do you dislike the most?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pick a category for the trait you dislike the most.
repetitive behavior 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
restricted behavior 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
social issues 39%  39%  [ 17 ]
communication issues 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
sensory issues 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
executive dysfunction issues 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
I can't decide on just one. 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 44

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 2:48 pm

Post about one trait and pick the category for that trait in the poll.

If you hate something like meltdowns or aggressive behavior, then pick the issue that caused it.

I made the poll options up from the "triad of impairments."

You can change your vote.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 4:12 pm

It was a close call, but I picked sensory issues because they're with me nearly all the time and I'm absolutely fed up of them. Small discomforts, irritations and itches feel horribly amplified and there's very little help for it. I have ways of reducing most of them, but as soon as I've fixed one thing, another starts. Of course there are lots of analgesics and relaxants that might give a lot of relief in the short term, but like most drugs, if you take them for long enough you'll get side effects and they'll stop working. The only reasonably healthy remedy I know is to find something fascinating to do, but it's hard to think of a steady stream of fascinating things to do.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 6:00 pm

Executive dysfunction. :evil:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 7:25 pm

I hate all of them, but I’d have to say sensory issues are the worst for me. I can’t even take a proper bath or shower because of my issues with water (which seems to be a relatively new thing), usually mostly shut down in places like restaurants and stores due to overstimulation, can’t enjoy a concert even if it’s my very favorite band which I’m currently obsessed with, hypersensitive to humidity (and to a lesser extent, heat - the problem really is with sweating even a tiny bit, which I think ties to my water/feeling wet thing), can’t bear the sound of all the cicadas in late summer even inside the house, can’t tune out “background noise”... It affects so many things in so many ways. And because hearing is my primary sense and I constantly use it to monitor my surroundings, I freak out if my hearing is dampened in any way, which eliminates solutions like earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.

Followed closely by social and communication issues, but I deal with that by just avoiding social interaction whenever I can, but I have no way to deal with some of my sensory issues. And right behind that, executive functioning.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Last edited by dragonsanddemons on 23 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 7:40 pm

Executive dysfunction.
Resolve this, then the rest becomes non-issue if not fullblown advantage.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 7:59 pm

Maybe I should have added "developmental delay" to the poll.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 9:10 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

Followed closely by social and communication issues, but I deal with that by just avoiding social interaction whenever I can, but I have no way to deal with some of my sensory issues. And right behind that, executive functioning.

A lot of us have sensory issues.
I'm glad I missed out on that little "Joy" in life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 9:12 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Executive dysfunction.

Imagine a life without ED. <bliss> :heart:

Yes, I am aware of the double entendre. :mrgreen:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 9:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Executive dysfunction.

Imagine a life without ED. <bliss> :heart:

Yes, I am aware of the double entendre. :mrgreen:

I didn't imagined mine -- I've lived in it... For a week.
In my case, I get to act and think my own age if not better. Not to mention everyone noticing the drastic change.

It IS bliss in daily living. :lol:
More like, you're yourself -- intention and action matches -- than stuck in your own body (or head) going awkward, confused/overwhelmed and constantly spreading yourself thin.

Though, I cannot imagine myself being a man of such position. :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2020, 10:32 pm

Boah this is difficult. :roll:

First I thought it's "executive dysfunction", but if I read about it I came to the conclusion that it's the thing I can do the absolute best. I'm even better than NT's at this :scratch: It is a spectrum indeed...

The reason I got diagnosed is because I was insane as a child. I almost got kicked out from home when I was 12 years old. So I'd say my biggest problem with my autism is "unbearable emotions" or "uncontrollable hate". :mrgreen:

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 11:51 pm

The ones that cause serious difficulties are ED and sensory issues..but I picked sensory because that never goes away for a minute. I still have social and behavioral oddities, which used to bother me, but at my age now I've decided I am what I am and others need to deal with it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 12:14 am

needed more choices in the poll.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 2:23 am

LunaticCentruroides wrote:
Boah this is difficult. :roll:

First I thought it's "executive dysfunction", but if I read about it I came to the conclusion that it's the thing I can do the absolute best. I'm even better than NT's at this :scratch: It is a spectrum indeed...

The reason I got diagnosed is because I was insane as a child. I almost got kicked out from home when I was 12 years old. So I'd say my biggest problem with my autism is "unbearable emotions" or "uncontrollable hate". :mrgreen:

You can hate me as much as you want.
But I want to be paid twice the going rate. :mrgreen:

I find Executive Dysfunction very stressful and frustrating, but I cope quite well, these days because I have simplified my life so much.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 2:28 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
The ones that cause serious difficulties are ED and sensory issues..but I picked sensory because that never goes away for a minute. I still have social and behavioral oddities, which used to bother me, but at my age now I've decided I am what I am and others need to deal with it.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 2:53 am

I can't choose between executive dysfunction or communication issues. Executive dysfunction is definitely made worse by my ADHD, so I'd say communication issues are the autism-specific thing that messes with me the most. I'm horrible at expressing anything verbally and 90% of the time it seems like I can't tell people what I'm actually thinking, which causes issues in a lot of other areas.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 3:30 am

WHat I dislike the most is the emotional / nervous system dysregulation and meltdowns... but that's not in the diagnostic criteria. (I think it should be).

Anyhow, I ticked social issues - but it was a close run with communication issues since they're probably connected - it's often miscommunication that causes social problems. But it's the social exclusion that I really dislike.