Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:10 pm

i can't help but think that the nature of any volunteering job would also possibly affect the re-evaluation that social security disability has been known to pull.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:29 pm

The rules that SSI has on paper are so strict that if you are in the least OCD or paranoid, you might go nuts trying to figure out what you can and cannot do.

And the potential penalties are wild. In reality that stuff rarely happens, but wouldn't it be your luck...

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2020, 12:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
i can't help but think that the nature of any volunteering job would also possibly affect the re-evaluation that social security disability has been known to pull.

No, it's a poorly policed system and people don't get kicked off unless they get a pay check that exceeds the allowed amount.. nobody will kick you off for volunteering as far as I know, and it may make the case stronger.. plenty of severely disabled people volunteer and nobody will check how hard and complex the volunteering job is. Just don't get a pay check and you will be fine most likely

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 12:35 am

idntonkw wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

No, it's a poorly policed system and people don't get kicked off unless they get a pay check that exceeds the allowed amount.. nobody will kick you off for volunteering as far as I know, and it may make the case stronger.. plenty of severely disabled people volunteer and nobody will check how hard and complex the volunteering job is. Just don't get a pay check and you will be fine most likely

i know a person who very nearly lost his social security disability because he was judged "too high-functioning" for undisclosed reasons, he was not working or earning any money.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 1:42 am

Splurges at Taco Bell can make one feel satisfied and like your not so broke . So. By all means enjoy those splurges,
Included Mc Donald’s on my splurge list . Small luxuries are important . Shopping at the thrift store , can make one feel . Almost uppity even . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 1:50 am

Small luxuries are important . Shopping at the thrift store , can make one feel . Almost uppity even..

LOL, that's so true! I love rambling about the Dollar Tree, able to fill my cart with Chinese knock-off items, and swaggering up to checkout like I own the place.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 2:37 pm

The comments in this thread are more about "life for people who have poor mental health and no interests" than "life on SSI."

I also have Section 8, and I live on less than what SSI provides: $200 food stamps per month, a $22 monthly utility allowance with my Section 8, and $142 monthly disability compensation from the VA. I'm not depressed, I exercise regularly (multiple times per day, usually), I have hobbies I enjoy and do everyday, I don't feel at all bad for accepting public benefits (even if my SSI case is approved, I won't feel bad), I'm not stressed about not working because I can't work (that's the whole point of the SSI application), and I don't have self-destructive ideas about being "worse" than other people.

I don't have a car either, and I'm fine with that because having such an expensive item is more trouble than it's worth and because I don't like the pollution of gas-powered vehicles. I get tons of good exercise from walking and carrying stuff. People who really miss having a car or anything else they can no longer afford or do on SSI can find healthy and satisfying alternatives rather than sinking down into misery like some people have described.

SSI doesn't give people mental health problems; our personalities determine how we react to our situations.

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2020, 5:06 pm

starkid wrote:
The comments in this thread are more about "life for people who have poor mental health and no interests" than "life on SSI."

I also have Section 8, and I live on less than what SSI provides: $200 food stamps per month, a $22 monthly utility allowance with my Section 8, and $142 monthly disability compensation from the VA. I'm not depressed, I exercise regularly (multiple times per day, usually), I have hobbies I enjoy and do everyday, I don't feel at all bad for accepting public benefits (even if my SSI case is approved, I won't feel bad), I'm not stressed about not working because I can't work (that's the whole point of the SSI application), and I don't have self-destructive ideas about being "worse" than other people.

I don't have a car either, and I'm fine with that because having such an expensive item is more trouble than it's worth and because I don't like the pollution of gas-powered vehicles. I get tons of good exercise from walking and carrying stuff. People who really miss having a car or anything else they can no longer afford or do on SSI can find healthy and satisfying alternatives rather than sinking down into misery like some people have described.

SSI doesn't give people mental health problems; our personalities determine how we react to our situations.

That’s good on your part. It’s just that when you get pressured by life to find a job, the pressure can help a lot in finding a job.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 7:54 pm

Citymale wrote:
That’s good on your part. It’s just that when you get pressured by life to find a job, the pressure can help a lot in finding a job.

What does that have to do with this topic? The thread is about people on SSI.