Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 10:22 am

001Friday wrote:
I'll try to answer as many of your questions as possible.
First, yes he has been diagnosed and so has his mother. They are very similar in almost every way except his mom has learned to cope with Aspergers much better. She and I get along very well. I usually go to her if things get really bad between my husband and I. She does help me as much as she can but tries to keep a distance so that she doesn't interfere. I am very thankful for her.

You might laugh but the fight this morning was caused by my cat. When my husband is in a good mood he loves my cat. When he's stressed or not coping well, he hates her. Its been an ongoing thing for several years. And fyi, I had my cat before he and I were ever together. This morning my cat knocked over a glass of water that our child left on the side table. When my husband got up he stepped in it and then flipped out. He charged into the bedroom screaming at me. I jumped out of bed and ran to clean up the mess. His screaming also woke up our son. I cleaned it up as fast as possible because of how mad he was but it didn't calm him down. He kept yelling at me, saying I had to get rid of her. I told him that it was just water, its cleaned up and lets just forget about it. He then picked up my cat harshly and threw her outside. He said that I could never have her in the house again. Of course, by then I was getting really upset because I know he's overreacting and there is nothing I can do. He then screamed at me and said that I had to choose my cat or him. Our son was getting scared and I felt like I needed to leave. The screaming was so loud it shook the house. Our son looked terrified. So in my pj's, I took our son the park at 6am. I just wanted to leave the situation because I didn't know what else he might do/say next. He then texted me that he was calling the cops because I took our soon. I told him I'd be back home once he left for work. Our son has school and he can't have a good day if he see's his Dad acting like this, saying mean things to me and threatening divorce. He told me he was leaving but was there when I got home. He came up to my car, opened the door and said "i'm filing for divorce". He then left and has not spoken to me since then. I texted him and told him we could keep the cat out for a while if that is what he wanted. I tried to give in because I didn't know what else to do. So far, he won't talk to me.

And no, I have never posted on here before. I just need to know, from those with Aspergers or in a similar situation, what I need to do. I have no else to talk to except his Mom and she, of course, will usually listen to me but she sides with him behind my back sometimes. I know she doesn't want us to get divorced. Her advice was to let him calm down. But, for how long? How long do I wait before I just leave because his behavior is out of control? I've suggested counseling, he won't respond. I'm scared because I don't know what to expect when he comes home.

I agree with Juliette.
Whether or not this is a meltdown for him, it's abusive towards you, and potentially you son and cat.

How often does this happen? Once he's calmed down, are you able to rationally discuss it with him, or will that set him off again?

You should not have to feel scared or anxious around your own husband.

BenReillyUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2020, 12:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
BenReillyUK wrote:
... The reason I don't give any credence to asking people WHY about their actions in terms of confronting them is it just builds arguments up and doesn't change facts...
It is always best to focus on the acts than to assume intent and motive or to focus on the way things "should" be.

With my wife I work from the concrete and certain truth that she is acting in my best interests.

As for the original poster.

His meltdown is due to autism. His ridiculous attitude towards the cat is not.
He can suck it in or he can go.
Either way the cat stays.
Bloody ridiculous behaviour on his part. No sympathy for it.

Is there something else bothering him? Any particular stress? How is your relationship over all? You are his wife not his cater. If he can’t approach you as a rational and consenting trader in virtue, as an equal partner worthy of the push pull and respect for your individuality then let him ‘file for divorce.’
I personally think he’ll be groveling in a week. He’s got too used to not being challenged. It sounds like you are withering a bit more away every day trying to control things for him. To hell with that.
You are lovely, you are a good mother, that is obvious.
He needs to get with picture or he will lose you.
He can work with you as a partner and ally but if he makes you an enemy then it’s over.
Also the cat. If he hurts that cat, bloody report him to the Police. That makes me annoyed.

001Friday
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2020, 3:12 pm

Update:

Well for now, things have calmed down. He finally spoke to me and then agreed to talk things over later on. I'm just about done with this relationship though. I have to keep giving and giving without getting anything in return.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 3:31 pm

001Friday wrote:
Update:

Well for now, things have calmed down. He finally spoke to me and then agreed to talk things over later on. I'm just about done with this relationship though. I have to keep giving and giving without getting anything in return.
Two suggestions:

1) Seek joint counselling from a certified marital counselor.

2) Quietly obtain references for good divorce lawyers.

Good luck!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 4:19 pm

001Friday wrote:
Update:

Glad to hear things have calmed. I can understand why you're feeling this way. You're welcome to continue coming here for support (if it helps). Oh and I agree with what Fnord advised above.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 11:29 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
Oh and I agree with what Fnord advised above.

Same ^^^

Take care :heart:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 11:44 pm

-Possibly married life getting too much for him. Information overload.
-Possible mental disorder developing.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 1:00 am

Not sure I can help but I will give it a try.

Think of a person as a glass. You can fill the glass almost completely full with water and the glass will hold the water. But you add a few drops more and it overflows. In a sense that is what is happening to your husband. Stress is cumulative in nature. Unless it is vented, it will begin to fill the glass. Once the glass is full, all it takes is one small thing that will trigger an outburst. The small thing such as the cat knocking over a glass of water is not the cause, it is rather the last straw that broke the camel's back.

His glass may have been filled by many different things such as conflicts at work, COVID, etc. There are many elements that contributed to filling the glass.

Stress is actually physical in nature. It is a cascade of chemicals (primarily hormones) that are released when a person is under stress. These accumulate in the muscles and nerves. If you husband can learn to vent this stress energy, he can achieve a natural state called homeostasis. But even though he has calmed down a little, his glass is still basically full and any small stressor can cause a reoccurrence.

This stress energy is stored in 6 areas of the body. These are his two arms, his two legs, his neck and his core. Since he is yelling at you, my guess his stress is primarily localized in his neck. So how does he vent this stress energy from the neck. It is done by yelling at the top of his lungs.

One needs to vent the stored stress energy in their neck muscles, vocal cords, and jaw. The best way is to scream at the top of your lungs several times. But this must be done in a socially acceptable manner. Never scream at a person. I live in the rural countryside and my dog is a free-range dog. When it is mealtime and my dog is up and about; I call my dog very loudly.

R-o-c-k-y. Come here puppy. R-o-c-k-y.
R-o-c-k-y. Where are you puppy? R-o-c-k-y.
R-o-c-k-y. Come here puppy.

I yell so loud that I can hear my voice being echoed back to me from nearby hills and mountains. My voice carries about a mile. The call is so strong that it borders on a roar. It is a very good feeling. It gives me a sense of great strength, like I could split a mountain in two just with my voice alone. I feel strong to my core. It is a great stress reliever or normalizer. And it is socially acceptable in the countryside.

One might try howling like a wolf at the moon. There is a member on this site in New York City that howls at the subway cars as they pass by deep down in the subway stations. Another person on this site is from Chicago, he has learned to become a performance artist and in his acts he growls like a large ape. But there are other ways to scream in a socially acceptable manner. A singer can do this if it is a very powerful song. A barker in the county fair can do this. A fan at a rock concert can sing along at the top of their lungs. Some commuters sing along to the tune on the radio at the top of their lungs while they are driving down the road. A spectator at a sports event can do this in cheering on their team. Even a Girl Scout can practice barking in front of the local grocery store when she sells Girl Scout cookies. Or he can find himself a soundproof room.

But he needs to remember the Golden Rule: Never scream AT someone. Because this would be interpreted as an attack, a verbal assault.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2020, 12:51 pm

As a NT married to a AS wife. I can tell you that you can't expect as much from many of the people with AS as you would a NT there is varying degrees of AS some people with AS if they are pushrd too hard they can have meltdown being pushed to hard can come from various source including the significant other and / or work.
People who date people with AS should try to learn how much they can push them on issues and learn what they can handle AS / NT relationship has pro and cons
Yes it can seem like you are giving more then they are in a relationship with some people with AS but it just a nature of the issue with some AS individuals like I said there are various degrees of AS

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

Last edited by Brehus on 25 Sep 2020, 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 1:18 pm

Brehus wrote:
As a NT married to a AS wife. I can tell you that you can't expect as much from many of the people with AS as you would a NT if you push them too hard they can have meltdown and you will go through what you are now.
You need to learn how much you can push them on issues and learn what they can handle. AS / NT relationship has pro and cons
Yes it can seem like you are giving more then they are in a relationship with some people with AS but it just a nature of the issue they have.

Ascribing your own personal experiences/perceptions to every AS person is a slippery slope. AS does not give me or anyone else a license to abuse others. From OP's description myself and other responders have noted that the husband's behavior sounds abusive. Suggesting that OP is at fault for pushing him too much (she wasn't even involved, he came at her from another area of the house), is highly inappropriate. And for the record, I (an autist) have no issue putting just as much info my relationship and my spouse, and the same applied when I dated an NT (who actually put far less into it).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Sep 2020, 2:07 pm

Brehus has a good point about learning what us Aspies can handle & when to push us. I had LOTS of nasty fights with my mom cuz she kept pushing me & expecting things I did not know how to do or deal with. I like to think I grew a lot since I moved in with current girlfriend who's also on the spectrum. We've had some bad fights but we both try to work on ourselves & try to work on communication so we can minimize fights & us getting upset. There's lots of times I start to feel annoyed by things but I try to relax instead of acting up & usually 5-10 minutes later I'm no longer that bothered. It's like the saying "Pick your battles". Getting upset & us having a major fight & both of us feeling like total cr@p after is NOT worth it to me. Instead I try to be supportive of her & let her do what she needs to so she can destress/relax/calm down. Maybe that's giving her a hug, giving her space for a while, or letting her spend the day in bed, or letting her play a game all day or watch TV all day or do stuff on her phone all day instead of chores/housework, or listening to her rant/complain about things for an hour straight. Other times I try to remove myself from the situation like going in another room & staying there for a while. Removing myself is usually when I feel like I'll snap at her or like she needs time to herself for a while. We're both very dependent but I'm worse than her so she does a lot for me & she puts up with a lot sometimes so the very least I should do is to try not to get upset at her & try to help minimize her getting upset in the future if it's something related to me.

Being on the spectrum can make us prone to various mental disorders & issues & me & her both have a bit. Sometimes us Aspies can be so caught up with our own stuff that we are incapable of considering others or being accommodating to others in our lives. Your Aspie needs to be willing to try & work on himself Friday or he'll risk losing you. It's understandable to me why your having such a hard time dealing with him. While it is helpful to learn what he can & cant deal with but you have to to also learn what you can & cant deal with either. It is very unfair & unrealistic for you to have to bend over backwards for him while he doesn't even try. Compromising needs to work both ways, you both give something & you both get something.

One of the ways I've tried to cope & work on myself is by trying to understand myself & my issues & then finding various ways to try & work on their causes or at least reduce my triggers. Posting about things online a lot like this forum, joining a support group, working, trying to do stuff with friends when I could, & seeing a psychiatrist has helped some. I've also researched meds a bit & I try to take a proactive approach with my psych treatment instead of just letting psychs & docs guess about my problems & prescribing me whatever.

I'm not sure what will work for your Aspie but he needs to start really trying to work on things. Be there to listen to him, support him, & encourage him but he has to be willing to do the work. Others have mentioned marriage/couples counseling & I do agree that it would seem like the best 1st step if I had to pick one. I would also suggest letting him know that he is to NEVER physically hurt your child, you, or your cat cuz that will be the end of things. It's one thing to get upset & yell & do things like slam doors(I've done that a lot & so has my girlfriend) but do not tolerate physical violence.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2020, 2:56 pm

Brehus wrote:
As a NT married to a AS wife. I can tell you that you can't expect as much from many of the people with AS as you would a NT if you push them too hard they can have meltdown and you will go through what you are now.
You need to learn how much you can push them on issues and learn what they can handle. AS / NT relationship has pro and cons
Yes it can seem like you are giving more then they are in a relationship with some people with AS but it just a nature of the issue they have.

Ascribing your own personal experiences/perceptions to every AS person is a slippery slope. AS does not give me or anyone else a license to abuse others. From OP's description myself and other responders have noted that the husband's behavior sounds abusive. Suggesting that OP is at fault for pushing him too much (she wasn't even involved, he came at her from another area of the house), is highly inappropriate. And for the record, I (an autist) have no issue putting just as much info my relationship and my spouse, and the same applied when I dated an NT (who actually put far less into it).

I in no way mean to offend you or anyone and I did say use the words many and some I know their are different degrees of AS and I a believe you when you say you put I in a lot for your relationship. I also adjusted the wording so it seems less directed to her also someone who is having a meltdown can appear abusive
My intention was to give general advice

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 3:14 pm

Brehus wrote:
Brehus wrote:

I in no way mean to offend you or anyone and I did say use the words many and some I know their are different degrees of AS and I a believe you when you say you put I in a lot for your relationship.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I believe it's important for us, when addressing potential abuse, to tread lightly and not use words that may convince a victim they are at fault. It's very difficult to get out of that mindset once you are there.

I have spoken with many other autists here and it seems common among us to care very deeply about finding a partner and having happiness with them. I think many of us are able to put so much effort into our partnerships because we are painfully aware of how hard it is to find someone that loves us for who we are, and who we adore equally. Without the additional friendships that extroverted-well-adjusted-NTs tend to have, we have plenty of time to focus on our partner and learning how to build the bond we have together.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2020, 3:21 pm

Brehus wrote:
Brehus wrote:

I in no way mean to offend you or anyone and I did say use the words many and some I know their are different degrees of AS and I a believe you when you say you put I in a lot for your relationship.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I believe it's important for us, when addressing potential abuse, to tread lightly and not use words that may convince a victim they are at fault. It's very difficult to get out of that mindset once you are there.

I have spoken with many other autists here and it seems common among us to care very deeply about finding a partner and having happiness with them. I think many of us are able to put so much effort into our partnerships because we are painfully aware of how hard it is to find someone that loves us for who we are, and who we adore equally. Without the additional friendships that extroverted-well-adjusted-NTs tend to have, we have plenty of time to focus on our partner and learning how to build the bond we have together.

My goal is never to intentionally upset of be little people I just want to help when I can because everyone deserves to be cared about I just try to give my perspective for a NT side it bothers me to see some of the AS people on here trying to find love and can't or seeing NTs struggle dealing with a significant other with AS.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 3:26 pm

^ Thank you. Yes I agree. I wish I could help them more. I try to think of what may have helped me, but it's hard when there's no clear path or absolute right/wrong methods.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Sep 2020, 3:50 pm

From my personal experience I know I've always had short-lasting meltdowns and bursts of anger potentially harmful to myself and others but after a while I calm down and regret anything mean I said or did. I'm in a long standing non-straight relationship and before I was diagnosed, my partner couldn't understand why I had these outbursts but since diagnosis he, as well as my mom and others around me, understood things better. Knowledge is key.

I do think counselling would help in your situation, whilst fast acting calming medication might also be indicated and be helpful. We're all different but very few of us are manipulative or deceitful. It's usually a case of getting very quickly angered or unreasonable then lashing out at those near and dear to us, making threats, even physical ones, that we later didn't intend. In reality most of us are kind, loving and emotional. Riding that roller coaster can be tough!

I hope you can resolve your issues amicably.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/