Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:37 pm

Can we all be classed as equal?
If one happens to be the opposite of being a straight white Christian male one can pretty much can get away with saying anything that is not a direct attack on another member, but this is very much the opposite if one happens to try to defend ones position by being a straight white Christian male. I am finding I have to watch every word! It reminds me of being in school or college where I had been told off for stimming, and I would spend the whole lesson, every leson sitting as still as I could monitoring my every movement daring not to move!
It feels like that as I write because of all these written and unwritten rules.

Are there ways to make me on an equal ground as everyone else?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:41 pm

Who's denying you equality or the ability to say what you need? Go ahead and say it, we don't all have to agree. If people find what you have to say disagreeable they will say so but how exactly does that prevent you from saying your perspective? :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 4:04 pm

I feel I am having to watch every word since we have many extra rules to abide by. The more rules we have, the less I can write. If everyoe on this site was assumed to be equal, and we do not have to watch every word incase one may say something against someone in one protected group or another, but instead had the common decency not to abuse our positions, we would be able to type and apologize if we have said something wrong. But at it stands, with all the extra rules I have to monitor every word I say which is getting a bit restricting.

This post took me over a month to write so it is a bit late. I tried to write it so many times but have had to refrain from giving examples of what I mean because they in themselves could be taken the wrong way.

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2020, 4:19 pm

I think I see what you’re saying. Like, in the past you were less likely to get push-back if you weren’t precise about pronouns and stuff like that?

There is an unfortunate pain that comes with the transition to a new understanding of language and how it affects society. Changes are difficult to keep up with, and generally difficult for some. For instance, it is still a little awkward and clunky for me to remember that some people should be referred to as “they” and “them” because when I was in school I was taught that it was incorrect to use a plural pronoun to refer to a single person.

As autistic people, who have had to think extra hard about what we say and do, both to fit in and to avoid reproach, the additional “rules” governing what is correct to say can feel kind of overwhelming. It can seem like it’s a lot of extra stuff to navigate and “get right.” Have I understood you correctly?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 4:26 pm

malavois wrote:
I think I see what you’re saying. Like, in the past you were less likely to get push-back if you weren’t precise about pronouns and stuff like that?

There is an unfortunate pain that comes with the transition to a new understanding of language and how it affects society. Changes are difficult to keep up with, and generally difficult for some. For instance, it is still a little awkward and clunky for me to remember that some people should be referred to as “they” and “them” because when I was in school I was taught that it was incorrect to use a plural pronoun to refer to a single person.

As autistic people, who have had to think extra hard about what we say and do, both to fit in and to avoid reproach, the additional “rules” governing what is correct to say can feel kind of overwhelming. It can seem like it’s a lot of extra stuff to navigate and “get right.” Have I understood you correctly?

Kind of but at a slight tangent. Similar.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 4:32 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I feel I am having to watch every word since we have many extra rules to abide by. The more rules we have, the less I can write. If everyoe on this site was assumed to be equal, and we do not have to watch every word incase one may say something against someone in one protected group or another, but instead had the common decency not to abuse our positions, we would be able to type and apologize if we have said something wrong. But at it stands, with all the extra rules I have to monitor every word I say which is getting a bit restricting.

This post took me over a month to write so it is a bit late. I tried to write it so many times but have had to refrain from giving examples of what I mean because they in themselves could be taken the wrong way.

How much do you need to say that would blatantly infringe on those rules? How much do you want to say that would? Unless you're way over the line you wouldn't likely face more than disagreement from other posters. It's not as though one or even a few statements that are questionable will cause you long-term issues.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 5:13 pm

If this is about the racism issue topic that happened here back in August, I don't know what to say. I have no problem with not saying anything that is an attack on the minority group.

If you feel you have to walk on eggshells here, maybe that means you need to check your bias? Check your prejudice you may have about minorities?

I am sure we would all love if everyone were truly equal but pretending we all are is not going to get rid of the problem.

I have not ever seen you say anything racist or prejudice against a minority group here so I am not sure why you are worried. :?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm

I've seen MountainGoat write things that can be construed as conservative. He is a religious man.

He has never, however, expressed any sort of racist thought.

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2020, 1:22 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
malavois wrote:

Kind of but at a slight tangent. Similar.

What do you mean then? Or can you refer me back to a thread that explains it?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 1:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've seen MountainGoat write things that can be construed as conservative. He is a religious man.

MG is a pure -hearted strong believer in God. Conservatism and religious belief are still legal as far as I know :D
MG I love your posts, keep them coming.WP is a fair platform that will not allow political "bullying" by any political bias. :heart:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 1:26 am

Teach51 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

MG is a pure -hearted strong believer in God. Conservatism and religious belief are still legal as far as I know :D
MG I love your posts, keep them coming.WP is a fair platform that will not allow political "bullying" by any political bias.

Kraftie I quoted you to continue this line of thought, not because I disagree with you :heart: .
:heart:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 6:03 am

Thank you Teach and everyone who took the time to reply. I can't fit my thoughts and feelings into words. I feel constraigned, not because I would plan to do wrong, but I feel if I say a word out of place these days I could be breaking the law. Stupid laws that restrict words! And yet todays society tollerates swearing? What is going on?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Oct 2020, 7:23 am

MG, words may not be your world but from all your posts it is clear that you're full of respect to other people.
If you accidentally offend someone, I'll do all I can to clarify it and, at the very worst, I'll edit your post so it's less prone to misunderstandings.
You really have nothing to fear because genuine respect outweights all possible clumsiness with words by a world.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 7:31 am

magz wrote:
MG, words may not be your world but from all your posts it is clear that you're full of respect to other people.
If you accidentally offend someone, I'll do all I can to clarify it and, at the very worst, I'll edit your post so it's less prone to misunderstandings.
You really have nothing to fear because genuine respect outweights all possible clumsiness with words by a world.

Thanks. For me, the more rules there are the more I am worried about breaking them. I think that is what I am trying to say.

Thank you for vouching for me.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 27 Oct 2020, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 7:32 am

magz wrote:

^^ Wise words :heart:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 3:13 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Thank you Teach and everyone who took the time to reply. I can't fit my thoughts and feelings into words. I feel constraigned, not because I would plan to do wrong, but I feel if I say a word out of place these days I could be breaking the law. Stupid laws that restrict words! And yet todays society tollerates swearing? What is going on?

You'd have to say something pretty explicitly terrible before you're breaking any laws. That's usually reserved for incitements to violence, Holocaust denial, etc.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う