Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 1:00 am

Recently a bunch of threads in "News and Current Events" got moved to "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion".

Could one of the moderators please give some guidance on when a news story should be posted in "News and Current Events" vs. when it should be posted in PPR?

In the past, there have been lots of political topics in "News and Current Events" that did NOT get moved to PPR.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 1:39 am

If its news about political controversy, it goes in PPR.

the rules wrote:
Hot topics of debate belong in PPR.

It doesn't really change much with regard to how the threads are moderated as people just treat political news threads like they're already located in PPR anyways (the differences are overstated).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 7:10 pm

There is a fine line between "news" and "politics."

A discussion of "news," I find, usually results in some sort of political debate.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Nov 2020, 7:47 am

To be honest, I almost think “News and Current Events” was designed for autism news - it’s in the General Discussion category rather than the Off Topic Discussion or Topical Discussion categories. But nobody uses it that way.

In practice, anything politically (or philosophically or religiously, but those are less usual) contentious should be in PPR.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Nov 2020, 8:03 am

The forum description says "Interested in the latest news about autism or that weird thing they found at the bottom of the lake?" so it seems designed to cover both autism and general news stories - but it is fairly rare for autism-related stories to appear there.

As kraftiekortie mentioned there is a fine line between "news" and "politics", with many stories involving politics rapidly changing (descending? :wink: ) into something more suited to the raging inferno that is PPR.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Nov 2020, 8:08 am

Do you think WP would benefit from a policy of moving all curent PPR-related news threads from N&CE to PPR?
Asking this question publicly, I'm interested in opinions.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Nov 2020, 8:15 am

I'm inclined to agree, generally - but some members avoid PPR because of the way things tend to develop there so essentially, we'd be depriving those members of opportunities to comment.
Maybe we should just keep a closer watch on PPR-like material in N&CE and move to PPR only once it's clear that a threshold has been crossed? (as happened recently with a few threads)

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 8:31 am

magz wrote:
Do you think WP would benefit from a policy of moving all curent PPR-related news threads from N&CE to PPR?
Asking this question publicly, I'm interested in opinions.

I think that's a good idea. I think maybe that will encourage people to think more about where they should start a thread between those two forums.