nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2005, 1:13 am

It's all over the papers in your area.

London, Llundain, Londain, Londres, Londra, Londen, ロンドン, Λονδινο, Лондон,
Lontoo, Londyn, Londona. Londonas.

Okay,

So who's happy about the IOCs decision for the Summer Olympics in 2012, and who isn't? This is the 3rd time they hosted (1908, 1948, and now 2012)

I don't really know yet, but I don't think New York was a good option because it looks too boxed in and there doesn't seem to be any good atmosphere around the city to place a stadium or village (unless they look at the outskirts). But I've never been there, so I wouldn't know.

Where can they even place the Olympic area anyway in London? Where's a good place (village, venues, outdoor events, mountain events). Will the new Wembley Stadium be suitable as the main Olympic Stadium?

Just my own two measly cents.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 2:04 am

I thought it should've been New York, it'd be nice for the city I think.
But I'm glad it wasn't Paris...

GA

PS: It really should've been Sydney again... We really know how to through a party don't we :D

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 9:08 am

The world is supposed to end in 2012.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 9:10 am

Postperson wrote:

There's optimism at its finest. ;) :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 9:45 am

I'm very happy about it. After I get my Computer, I'm going to start saving up for my tickets. Even when I move out, a year from now, I'll still be able to save with careful planning. I've always wanted to go to London, and this would be the ideal way for me to do so. London and the Olympics are my two biggest obsessions. They always have been. :D

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 10:51 am

Don't care in the slightest. Actually, this means that its all we'll hear about for weeks on end... so I guess I wish somewhere else had won the bid (preferably in a distant timezone so most of the events were during the wee small hours) :twisted:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 5:52 pm

Come on, duncvis. Don't spoil the party here...

I'm glad London was chosen and not Paris. Maybe then I'll at least get to see some arial views of the city. :)

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2005, 11:27 pm

Those attacks early this morning had to ruin the festivities to celebrate the city's Olympic selection.

I know the Brits and Londoners will not lose confidence for the games.

LONDRES, INGLATERRA, RU 2012

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 12:34 am

Postperson wrote:

December 21, 2012. About noon Central time. There will be time for the Olympics.
BTW, that's an old Myan myth that was brought to the public's attention by some hippie wannabe intellectual who fried his head eating wild mushrooms. He was ranting something about decreasing "inspiriation" and that there will cease to be any on December 21, 2012 and that this would bring about the end of the world. He concluded his calculations were correct because they coincide with a Myan myth that claimns that the world will end at the same date. I'll have to try to remember where I found my sources. It is possibe he and the Mayans were refering to the Battle of Armageddon, but the Antichrist would have to rise to power by the end of this year for the Mayan myth to be true.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 12:44 am

Jehovah's Witnesses also claim the world will end soon... 2012 is pretty soon...

GA

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2005, 4:05 am

Well, baseball and softball are out in 2012.

Good choice, baseball is boring to watch for nine innings. The IOC's excuse is for the games lack of Major Leaguers. BOO HOO! Like anyone wants to see those overpriced PITAs anyways. They are too busy anyways to bother with the Games anyways, why make them go? Does the rest of the world besides Japan and Latin America really follow baseball anyways.

Softball? Technically right now it has very little influence outside of the States and maybe Canada. Do we really want to see the US dominate without too much competition? Competition is good ya know.

And arent't many of the European countries' teams represented by Americans anyways?

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2005, 4:10 am

And guess what they might put in its place?

Rugby - lot of countries play it (not a whole lot but enough). A physical team sport would be cool to see. Ruckin' and Maulin' for the Gold!! !!

Golf - why?

Karate (might as well bring a bunch of other safe and sane martial arts then)

Roller Skating (I wonder what kind of roller skating)

and

Squash - What the heck is squash? All I know is that it is a raquet sport which the ball is struck at all 4 walls in a small court. Not a good game for the claustrophobes.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 4:34 am

GalileoAce wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses also claim the world will end soon... 2012 is pretty soon...

GA

Don't even get me started on all the baseless claims the Jehova's Witnesses have made! :roll:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 4:38 am

Nocturnalowl, how did you get support for the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets on the forums???

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2005, 5:20 am

Sean wrote:
Nocturnalowl, how did you get support for the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets on the forums???

It's a tricky explanation but here it is. I'm no computer genius here.

With Mac OS X, we get the input scripts for Cyrillic Languages (Russian, Ukranian and Bulgarian) and Unicode (Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, etc). As well as scripts for Cent. Europe (Polish, Czech, etc.), Japanese, Trad. Chinese, Simp. Chinese and Korean.

Man are we spoiled here.

Now with XP, I don't know much about the scripts and if they come pre-installed, so check on that - and see how to change the keyboard layout, which I think is in the Control Panels. You need to have the scripts before you can install the language layouts and fonts or else they would be of no use.

One thing about Mac OS X though is that I can select and activate one or more languages at once and change the layout scripts on the fly (as long as compatible fonts for the script are installed, or it is a no-go).

I was shocked that I was able to type on the message board since the board's software program itself supports Unicode and other non-Roman scripts. The names on the layouts, on my screen, would gray out if the program didn't support them. But if they support their fonts, I don't know yet. I could try.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2005, 5:45 am

Россия

日本語

Ελληνικά

It works when I type in Firefox, the fonts come out big and in colors. No-go in Safari. and IE Win, try it out. Check Mozilla, NS, and others too.