Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 6:47 am

likedcalico wrote:
I obsess about it all the time. I wonder if I am not on the spectrum and then I am wondering if I am HFA or not but then I see "No I can't be, I am too close to normal."

JOIN THE CLUB! My incessant reading when I was younger, technical skills, and early development make me realize that AS explains everything.

I DO think about some things I don't have to, etc... take some things too literally, etc...

Still, I seem too normal. At times, you couldn't pick me out of a room. Apparently, we aren't alone.

camembert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2007, 6:56 am

ChatBrat wrote:
See, that's the thing. If I took the DSM-IV EXACTLY TO THE T, then I might not be considered AS. But if I were to take it as a loose translation and compare notes with how everyone here on this message board acts/feels/thinks/ etc. then I do fit into the AS dx. That is what is so confusing to me.

I'm using the DSM-IV criteria.
I wouldn't advise self-diagnosing a medical label by comparing experiences with random people on message boards. And that goes for any 'condition'.

camembert

26 Jul 2007, 6:57 am

ChatBrat wrote:
People do that with whatever malady they've been diagnosed with. If you're dx'd with cancer, you wake up each morning and say "I have cancer" and you think about it off and on all day long. If you're dx'd with Bipolar Disorder, you wake up every day and say "I'm bipolar" and think about it off and on all day long. As time passes by, you'll think of it less and less. But I don't think it ever goes away.

Yes, this is true. I never thought of that.

camembert

26 Jul 2007, 7:03 am

Jainaday wrote:
Also. . . maybe it's just me, or the particular aspies I know, but it doesn't mean ret*d to me at all.

I think it's a shame people put that box around it. Yet one more example in history of people shaming what they don't understand. . .

No i don't think of myself as disabled.
Maybe socially ret*d, but even then, all people have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. So being socially inept is just one of these areas so i wouldn't think ret*d either.

camembert

26 Jul 2007, 7:07 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I obsess over everything....

Yes i know what you mean, i must admit i laughed.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:57 am

Jainaday wrote:
Also. . . maybe it's just me, or the particular aspies I know, but it doesn't mean ret*d to me at all.

I think it's a shame people put that box around it. Yet one more example in history of people shaming what they don't understand. . .

Maybe it is just me, but the light coming from a lightbulb doesn't mean dark at all.

Heck, I like the light!

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 8:49 am

I don't obsess about it, but I'm convinced I have many of the traits.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:56 am

camembert wrote:
I'm using the DSM-IV criteria. I wouldn't advise self-diagnosing a medical label by comparing experiences with random people on message boards. And that goes for any 'condition'.

AS wasn't put into the DSM-IV until 1994 and from what I've read, not many therapists and psychiatrists have a lot, sometimes no experience, with Asperger's. And from what I've read, not even Autism in general is known about like it should be. I think that is why a lot of people try to self diagnose themselves... or perhaps not really self diagnose, but rather, study the condition and leave it open for probability or possibility.

I don't know for sure if I have AS or not, but I think it's a good chance that at least have PDD. That said, I feel a connection to many many people here on this message board and feel relieved that I actually might know why I've been the odd duck for all these years. Finally, a reason for my eccentricities.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:10 am

Yes, definitely. The fact of having found out that my difference is (probably: we must not forget I'm undiagnosed) described by psychiatrists (and btw, called disability - well, I don't feel disabled at all) doesn't turn me into somebody else and nobody knows it as well as I but I have an interesting feeling that can be compared only with feelings of somebody who's just discovered that he was adopted.

Really interesting feeling and I derive a lot of pleasure from examining it. I always liked examining things, reaching their core itself.

You know, there are things which always happen to other people, to those we are close or (more often) not so close to: cancer, lottery winning but which are not reserved for us. I spend a lot of time thinking about it. When one finds out something unexpected and important at the beginning there's always a kind of excitement (bitter or full of glee) that reigns over that person's feelings for some time. Yesterday my old interest in X men renewed, now I'm spending hours reading about the young people with X gene enclosed into their genetic equipment and I could compare my present situation to those teenagers with mutant gene who are just learning that important truth who they are in fact. Who have their secret (lol, I just recalled that line from Mr Roboto by Styx).

Today I was seeing a doctor because of my anemia and my overprotective mother came in with me because she wanted to ask some questions to the doctor - she wouldn't be herself if she hadn't done it. That doctor was very meddling, having found out my quirks she poked her nose into my private life, asking me if I have a boyfriend, friends, she found it extremely strange that I don't like coming out of home, that I hate eating and spend the summer sitting in front of computer or browsing pages of books so I simply informed her about my suspicions concerning my putative AS. She didn't know what it is what didn't suprised me. My mother didn't protest claiming me to be quite normal as I had expected. I think that her suspicions why her daughter isn't like other young women in the end assumed a substantive shape. She was talking to that doctor as if I was absent or ret*d and unable to understand her words - she told her that I probably understand myself that I'm not like the others and I look for other weirdos in the Internet (what is true :twisted: ).

Kittygirl

26 Jul 2007, 11:28 am

I don't obsess about my Asperger's Syndrome as much as brag about it or use it as an excuse to get myself out of situations that I have to face. My mother won't accept me for who I am and she is trying to get me to change my life. She says that I need to get a job and do something with my life, but I would rather just vegetate and be waited on hand and foot. She says this is not an option and I don't like that.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jul 2007, 11:39 am

ya, unfortunatly she is correct, i know i had to get kicked out of the house after collage, and get into the real world, having aspringers, or in my case when little i had HFA, but it was what i needed, it was hard at first, but i got my act together quickly, i live alone, but have a nice bachlor pad all 2 myself, decent job. I wish i could have chilled at home but then u cant get a life, once u r an adult its time to face that horrible crule world, not like some of our childhoods were rough as it was (not mine tho, only a tiny bit) so when u get to this point u r used to it, heh

sorry for the ramble,

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:46 am

Kittygirl wrote:
I don't obsess about my Asperger's Syndrome as much as brag about it or use it as an excuse to get myself out of situations that I have to face.

I burst out laughing because suddenly I recalled that Family guy's episode entitled "Petarded" in which Peter finds out his IQ test's score is a score of a ret*d person and he starts to use it as an excuse to do all forbidden things (hitting people gathered in church with his prayerbook on their heads or peeping at women in toilet - "sorry, I'm ret*d :twisted: :lol: ).

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:02 pm

LMAO I love Family Guy

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:55 pm

What a pity that there's no more Family guy in Polish TV. My favourite character was of course Stewie :D

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 2:00 pm

When I first found out about this site, and that their are other people like me, I obsessed about it, not anymore though.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 2:04 pm

yep