Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 5:13 pm

RainSong wrote:
Aspiegirl89 wrote:
Postperson wrote:
Many psychiatrists are 'unstable' people, they are attracted to the field because they hope in some way to find out what their own problem is.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahahahaha that is amazing; remind me never to see a shrink again. What's the point of going to one if they have the same thing I DO? lol. That's like paying someone to fix your Porsche and you find out that the rust-bucket sitting out in front is actually their car; not so comforting.

Some of them have learned to deal with it quite well. They passed their tests in order to become a pyschiatrist, correct? While some might be quite unstable, others are not. To judge them all based on your capabilites or on others who are featured in stories like this is simply unfair. They might be able to deal with the problems better, since they have first hand experince with them. Would you entrust your deepest terrors to someone who had no idea what terror was even like, who had only read about it? And since they have managed to overcome their problems, they should have an idea of how to help others.

Anyway, you have to understand mental illness to deal with it, to some extent, in the same way that you wouldn't let an Air Marshal command an air force without experiencing air combat first hand, or let a man counsel women on female-specific issues.
Pretty much, psychiatrists who have had minor mental issues may interact with people who have the same issues well, though you wouldn't want a dangerous psychopath helping you to overcome suicidal depression, especially one who says that you're worthless and pathetic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 6:09 pm

Anubis wrote:
RainSong wrote:
Aspiegirl89 wrote:
Postperson wrote:
Many psychiatrists are 'unstable' people, they are attracted to the field because they hope in some way to find out what their own problem is.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahahahaha that is amazing; remind me never to see a shrink again. What's the point of going to one if they have the same thing I DO? lol. That's like paying someone to fix your Porsche and you find out that the rust-bucket sitting out in front is actually their car; not so comforting.

Some of them have learned to deal with it quite well. They passed their tests in order to become a pyschiatrist, correct? While some might be quite unstable, others are not. To judge them all based on your capabilites or on others who are featured in stories like this is simply unfair. They might be able to deal with the problems better, since they have first hand experince with them. Would you entrust your deepest terrors to someone who had no idea what terror was even like, who had only read about it? And since they have managed to overcome their problems, they should have an idea of how to help others.

Anyway, you have to understand mental illness to deal with it, to some extent, in the same way that you wouldn't let an Air Marshal command an air force without experiencing air combat first hand, or let a man counsel women on female-specific issues.
Pretty much, psychiatrists who have had minor mental issues may interact with people who have the same issues well, though you wouldn't want a dangerous psychopath helping you to overcome suicidal depression, especially one who says that you're worthless and pathetic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha, I completely missed that; thank you for catching it. (In mine own weak defense, I could barely see the screen when I wrote it. The glare from the sun was quite distracting. Still, that's no excuse. I'll go write their tests a couple hundred times now. :P)

Postperson wrote:
If you're not responding to my post, then why quote it? :lol:

I was responding mostly to the post after (ie, the other post that I quoted - the one with your quote inside it). I'm frequently too lazy to erase the post that was originally quoted.

Three years!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 2:34 am

You cannot be mentally ill to be a psychiatrist; however, much like driving, you don't really need a license to drive on the road -- you can get by until you're caught.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 8:35 am

Danielismyname wrote:
You cannot be mentally ill to be a psychiatrist; however, much like driving, you don't really need a license to drive on the road -- you can get by until you're caught.

I'm sure you would have to put that down on an application before the Board of Medicine. I know it's required if you want to be a nurse.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 9:38 pm

WTFH is a guy like that doing as a shrink?
What kind of quack is he?!

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 9:03 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
WTFH is a guy like that doing as a shrink?
What kind of quack is he?!
The very worst kind.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 9:22 pm

One of my psychologists cited my "intellectualized speech" and "mathematical way of thinking" as evidence of psychosis, writing that "if not psychotic, it was extremely odd and peculiar."

You know what's funny? Intellectual speech is the opposite of the word salad typical of schizophrenia.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 7:51 pm

Postperson wrote:

My brother is a doctor with the military (I think he's a trauma surgeon). When was a resident, he got to meet all the doctors at the hospital. He said the cardiologists, urologists, GI doctors, neurologists, etc were okay, but EVERY psychiatrist he met was "off" themselves.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 1:24 am

MikeH106 wrote:
One of my psychologists cited my "intellectualized speech" and "mathematical way of thinking" as evidence of psychosis, writing that "if not psychotic, it was extremely odd and peculiar."

You know what's funny? Intellectual speech is the opposite of the word salad typical of schizophrenia.

That psychologist sounds like a real wiener.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:27 am

Crap, this article is a decade old, otherwise it would be perfect for an assignment I have to do.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html