Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 11:49 am

I'm working on starting up a business raising feeder insects (specifically mealworms). They're most often sold as pet food for insectivorous pets, like lizards, tarantulas, etc, but can also be used as fish bait, in bird feeders, and even eaten by humans who aren't weirded out by eating insects. They're easy and cheap to keep, and can be sold online.

I figured I'd mention it here because it's a career that's doable for me where a lot of others aren't for autism-related reasons, and so I figured it might be helpful for others to consider.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:41 pm

I used to buy feeder bugs to feed my pets so I think your idea has potential but I bought them from the big box store.Like how would you compete with big box stores and online retailers for selling feeder bugs for pets and worms for fishing?And worms are just one small piece of the fishing pie so I would really suggest diversifying if you want to sell bait to fishermen.Be sure to use the best legal entity you can preferable off-shore if applicable and use the best accountants and lawyers you can.Like i would think about incorporating your bug business in Delaware but incorporating in one of the big off shore financial service countries like the Caymans or St.Kitts or Belize or the British Virgin Islands or Nevis would be even better to give your company the best chance of surviving if you get sued.I would also read a book about different legal entities because its real complex and you will prolly need a legal entity.And also buy a book about the tax code in your country and read it so you will have some idea to talk to your accountants and lawyers about.Also I would talk to fishing guides about the business idea for fishermen.I would sell online only if the bait can last to fishermen because fishermen and fishing guides can be hard to deal with and are typically in a hurry.Incorporating your legal entity off-shore is what you need to do to ensure your business success or at least give you a fighting chance if push comes to shove and i say that as a businessman.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 5:50 pm

I love bugs. Used to keep and breed many types - grasshoppers, katydids, spiders, scorpions, stick insects, and of course am quite familiar with crickets and mealworms.