and a surprise :arrow:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 4:35 pm

traven wrote:
best recoms today 8)

Thank-you for sharing these recommendations - the music was a fun listening experience.

I selected the recommendations into Youtube's recommender alogrithm:

After scrolling down the a short ways on the listing of Youtube's recommends, the familliar 1980s "A-Ha song 'Take on Me' was recommended. 'Take on Me' shows-up often as a recommendation based on my personal music preferences.

After scrolling down the entire YouTube listing, I was surprised not to find the 1969 Mary Hopkins song, 'Those Were the Days.' Hopkins' song is based-on an old Russian song - and sometimes shows-up as a recommendation based-on my personal music choices.

It's not that surprising that even the most advanced recommender algorithms overlook seemingly obvious choices.

For example to my personal preferences, why has Elton John's 'Tiny Dancer' been the only Elton John song periodically showing-up in my listings of recommendations? Go Figure!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 4:50 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
traven wrote:
best recoms today 8)

Thank-you for sharing these recommendations - the music was a fun listening experience.

I selected the recommendations into Youtube's recommender alogrithm:

After scrolling down the a short ways on the listing of Youtube's recommends, the familliar 1980s "A-Ha song 'Take on Me' was recommended. 'Take on Me' shows-up often as a recommendation based on my personal music preferences.

After scrolling down the entire YouTube listing, I was surprised not to find the 1969 Mary Hopkins song, 'Those Were the Days.' Hopkins' song is based-on an old Russian song - and sometimes shows-up as a recommendation based-on my personal music choices.

It's not that surprising that even the most advanced recommender algorithms overlook seemingly obvious choices.

For example to my personal preferences, why has Elton John's 'Tiny Dancer' been the only Elton John song periodically showing-up in my listings of recommendations? Go Figure!

ADDENDUM: YouTube's recommendations are often pretty-good, esp. considering that YouTube content cannot easliy be classified into specific categories - hence a recommender algorithm that digests, and analyzes seemingly disorganized content. Quite amazing!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 12:33 am

actually it was a day of a -good- glitch in the algorithms

back to the usual not very interesting recommandations,
the history is a shame, leave things out and put random other things
:D :D

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 3:59 pm

I've asked YouTube to recommend from my many different lists of personal music preferences (even preferences of slight interests) - quite often lead to YouTube recommendations for Juice Newton's' 1981 'Angel of the Morning.' Go figure!

Anybody discover the same recurring recommendations based on many different personal musical preferences?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 8:03 pm

I tend to click on suggestions that are from the same band that I already like.

In the beginning I might hear a single track on the radio, or in a shopping mall and I'll search the lyrics online.

Then over time build up songs from song artists that I favour.