Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 6:44 am

Russia has invaded Ukraine now. It's the beginning of WW3. Nuclear war. Everyone will die. Not just people, but all the innocent animals as well. We get coronavirus out of the way now we've got war to face.

Someone reassure me and tell me what will happen. Apparently the UK is part of Nato. I never even heard of Nato, I didn't know WE were part of it. So I suppose Boris is going to kill us all by defending Ukraine. That or Russia is going to put us all into consideration camps. When they see AS on my medical records they'll just shoot me the minute I get off the train heading to the death camps. Or use me as medical testing in the most agonizing way.

I don't want all this, I just want to live my life. Why did Putin get covid and die? Is he another Hitler? Is it WW2 all over again? What's happening? I'm sh*****g bricks here. I'm going into panic attack mode. :cry:

Ps. Please do not make me feel like I'm an insensitive jerk if I get my facts wrong, as it's not intentional. I'm just dumb, not insensitive.

chibimaddy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2022, 7:38 am

Please don't be so scared. It'll take time for the truth to filter through. Putin isn't Hitler & I really do not see concentration camps coming from him. (there is more chances of Canada or Australia to form encampments but for other reasons). Just breath. Make sure that you check the news from multiple sources so that you can see all sides of the situation. It's scary times we love in, but that's because we have a media & governments that thrive on keeping us afraid so that we pay attention (media) to them & run to them (governments) for help. There is a lot of fear being peddled to keep us all uptight & willing to conform. Just do your best to love your life well & trust that you will be OK.

::Hugs::

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Feb 2022, 7:39 am

It's extremely unlikely the war would reach UK civilians. Even WWII hardly did. You'll likely send some soldiers and have to deal with temporary shortages and some prices going up.
Before the war reaches UK, the whole Europe has too much to lose to let it.
Nuclear war is also unlikely - during all the Cold War, Vietnam, Korea, etc., nuclear weapons were never used and there's a good reason for it. Everyone knows how much they would lose on using nuclear weapons.

So, get some ready money in case banks are temporarily hacked, stack some candles, lighters and bottled water in case of other infrastructure failures but you have no reason to expect any actual fighting in your area.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 7:52 am

Invasions have been going on throughout human history. We're all still standing.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 8:00 am

No one is going to risk nuclear, biological and/or chemical warfare over Ukraine, which is why Russia successfully bet on invasion. I wouldn't worry about it. Russia wants its buffer zone.

If Russia goes beyond Ukraine or NATO directly engages Russia within Ukraine, then I'd be slightly concerned. This won't happen though (well, the chance is quite low).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 8:33 am

Listen to Magz. She knows what she's talking about.

The war is not going to reach western Europe. Russia isn't THAT mighty.

Russia is mighty when compared to Ukraine......but when compared to NATO....not so much.

I feel terrible for the Ukranian people. They want to live in peace----like everybody else.

All this because Russia wants an empire!

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 8:35 am

Quote:
We're All Going To Die

Yes, some day we all will.

When I was a child, 4 or 5 years old, our 11th floor neighbor hit the ground about 10 feet away from me as mom and I were coming out of our apartment building. I still distinctly remember the sound a body makes as it smacks tree leaves on the way down and the blunt thud it makes when it hits. My mom's face was scared and pale when I turned to her. We never spoke of it.

Since then as a child I always pictured going on my own terms, thinking that it is a normal thing for people, choosing the time to end. I didn't know about the stigma surrounding suicide. I wasn't scared of death because I assumed it would be my choice. I got more acquainted with it when I was a teenager.

It wasn't until early adulthood that I fully understood the absolute and finality of death, I became afraid, it started to occupy my thoughts. Then I understood the inevitability of it and the powerlessness against it.

You're going to die.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 24 Feb 2022, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 8:38 am

Yeah....we're going to die...but we don't need reminders of that all the time.

Russia didn't do all that great against Afghanistan and the republics of the Caucasus. How do you feel they'll do against NATO should there be a confrontation west of Ukraine?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 9:33 am

It might be a good time to get a hold of some precious metals. Fiat currency can always become devalued, but gold and silver always has worth during hard times. Putting a little away might be the difference someday when the rain pours down. My investment friend agrees with me on this point.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 10:11 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
It might be a good time to get a hold of some precious metals.

Just don't make the mistake of being distracted while multitasking and ending up with precocious metals instead.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 10:25 am

It's a bit hard to take your worry seriously. You don't even know about NATO. I don't want to make you feel stupid but it seems like you don't understand international conflict that well.

+ they have to get through the Poles first.

You're safe.

:::)

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2022, 11:22 am

It's a dark day for Europe, and sad to see Russia go this way. Really, I thought they'd stop at threats and rhetoric, to get their demands met - to some degree at least.

I'm not worried about this escalating to WW3, and definitely not a nuclear war. Ukraine is not a member of NATO, so NATO won't go to war over it. Some European countries have assisted Ukraine with weaponry, but won't get directly involved.
The main response is economic, sanctions against Russia. They will unfortunately include Norstream 2, which could give highly needed gas (fuel) to our continent. Russia produces 40% of the gas used in Europe The low level of energy and cost of it is more worrying for the safety of my country atm. Russia might answer with withholding gas
Russia and Ukraine have 25% of all wheat production in the world, and wheat prices have risen today as a result of the war. This on top of the inflation we're already seeing. It will probably make our lives a bit harder.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 11:25 am

Of course we're all going to die. Whatever. Who wants to live in a world like this anymore, anyway? We have a pandemic that never ends and humans are morons. Humans are never truly happy unless they're at war with another country, for that is their destructive and war mongering nature. They say it's always darkest before the dawn, but the reason it's so dark right now is the sun has burned itself out.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 11:36 am

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
It's a bit hard to take your worry seriously. You don't even know about NATO. I don't want to make you feel stupid but it seems like you don't understand international conflict that well.

You're safe.

No I don't understand international conflict that well which I already pointed out in my original post to prevent people from pointing this out.

Why do Aspies have to ridicule me for not understanding things?

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 12:52 pm

stop panicking sweetheart

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 12:53 pm

Joe90 wrote:
SoulcakeDuck wrote:

You're safe.

No I don't understand international conflict that well which I already pointed out in my original post to prevent people from pointing this out.

Why do Aspies have to ridicule me for not understanding things?

stop panicking sweetheart