Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:38 pm

The California Department of Developmental Services oversees the Regional Center System that serves clientele with developmental disabilities.

A few years ago, the CA Regional Center System changed their elegibility requirements to include clientele with least restrictions to independence...such as (HFA) High-Functioning Autism. Yet, after just a few years, the CA Regional Center System has only made gradual progress in understanding the needs of clientele with least restrictions to independence.

Why must progress remain so slow- especially after a few years of experience in serving clientle with least restrictions to independence (in such a populated, diverse state...such as CA)?

One of the challenges the CA Regional Center System are reassessing the minimum number of monthly hours of Independent Living Support (ILS) services (five hours minimum to be specific) for clientle with least restrictions to independence.

Five-hours per month can be that stumbling-block discouraging clientele from ILS services, a stumbling-block which might even complicate the development and delivery of services.

The only connections I've personally retained to the CA Regional Center System are four annual quarterly meetings with an advisor....minus ILS services.

I must admit that my advisor has become very receptive to understanding clientele with least restrictions to independence over the past few years.

In short, the minimum of five hours per month of ILS services for clientele with HFA might be asking too much time. Two to three hours per month would prove sufficient.

Reducing the five-hour minimum of ILS services can also free-up time for service personnel to assist clientele who need much more than...five hours service time per month.

Any experiences? Any considerations for initiatives to encourage any states's Department of Developmental Services to reasess, and determine just how to best serve clientele with least restrictions to independence?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:25 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
The California Department of Developmental Services oversees the Regional Center System that serves clientele with developmental disabilities.

A few years ago, the CA Regional Center System changed their elegibility requirements to include clientele with least restrictions to independence...such as (HFA) High-Functioning Autism. Yet, after just a few years, the CA Regional Center System has only made gradual progress in understanding the needs of clientele with least restrictions to independence.

Why must progress remain so slow- especially after a few years of experience in serving clientle with least restrictions to independence (in such a populated, diverse state...such as CA)?

One of the challenges the CA Regional Center System are reassessing the minimum number of monthly hours of Independent Living Support (ILS) services (five hours minimum to be specific) for clientle with least restrictions to independence.

Five-hours per month can be that stumbling-block discouraging clientele from ILS services, a stumbling-block which might even complicate the development and delivery of services.

The only connections I've personally retained to the CA Regional Center System are four annual quarterly meetings with an advisor....minus ILS services.

I must admit that my advisor has become very receptive to understanding clientele with least restrictions to independence over the past few years.

In short, the minimum of five hours per month of ILS services for clientele with HFA might be asking too much time. Two to three hours per month would prove sufficient.

Reducing the five-hour minimum of ILS services can also free-up time for service personnel to assist clientele who need much more than...five hours service time per month.

Any experiences? Any considerations for initiatives to encourage any states's Department of Developmental Services to reasess, and determine just how to best serve clientele with least restrictions to independence?

UPDATE: After about a month of weekly one-hour meetings with (ILS) 'Independent Living Service' coordinators, I'm beginning to better understand just how the five required monthly hours of ILS services might be used.

At a later time, I might use ILS service to two to three times a month - in place of the current four or five weekly monthly visits.

After clarifiying those tiny adminstrative/scheduling details (minutiae), that have included a (suppossed) visit to a nearby independent living resource center (ILRC) that ILS sometimes consults for their clientele. Unknown to the ILS coordinators and I, the ILRC moved their office location one-mile away to another part of town.

My coordinator and I found ourselves responding "on the fly" at the previous office location via a telephone call to set-up an appointment, and describe the purpose of why we need to consult with ILRC at their new office location.

So next week's meeting is scheduled at the new ILRC office location. After wondering why ILS was unaware of the new ILRC office location, my ILS coordinator and I were amazed to find that we we're able to complete our objectives inside the alotted one-hour time schedule.

I had also learned that my ILS coordinator is on the Autism Spectrum - auditory processing disorders. I quickly drew comparisons to my own personal expreinces. My advisor quickly responds to my emails - hence, I'm hopeful my ILS experiences will be beneficial.

What are experiences of WP members who receive Government services for clientele with developmental disabilities? Are these services becoming increasingly receptive to understanding clientele with least restrictions to independence - such as (HFA) High Functioning Autism?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 2:35 pm

To leave off where I ended my previous post: What are experiences of WP members who receive state government services for clientele with developmental disabilities?

Are these services becoming increasingly receptive to understanding clientele with least restrictions to independence - such as (HFA) High Functioning Autism?

Feedback?