If you knew you only had 4-5 years left to live ....

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:33 pm

werbert wrote:
Make sure all my enemies hit their graves before I do. :D

I think the question is flawed. When it is first asked, most people might think, "Oh, that's not a long time. I'd better get started doing what I want to do." And then, before you know it, you've accomplished everything you set out to do in six months, and then you've got four and a half years of sitting around waiting to die.

rather than waiting for God for the twenty-thirty plus years . . .

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 12:21 am

sinsboldly wrote:
rather than waiting for God for the twenty-thirty plus years . . .
I don't understand.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 12:00 pm

Werbert LIVES ! !!

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 2:57 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Werbert LIVES ! !!

Yay!!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 7:41 pm

Travel, have sex with as many women as possible, stop saving money, eat more junk food, beat the crap out of a couple people I have big grudges against, etc.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 2:14 am

For the past three years, I've been focusing on doing the things that were always on my "list of things to do before I die". The impetus to complete these dreams was based more on the question of, "What if I die tomorrow?"

If I had 4 or 5 years of advanced notice, the pressure would be off.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 2:31 am

There was a programme on TV a while ago, "100 films to see before you die"... :? Could you see them after? Is heaven full of giant plasma screens? We need to know these things. :)

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 8:31 am

I have tried a couple of times to start threads on the subject of death, with mince success, because people like to talk about this only as a social game. I have just finished reading The Wild Darkness by Harold Brodkey, a great American writer who began to write the book when he knew, at 62, that he had AIDS and had two or three years to live. So his book is not a social game but rather a reality show if you like.

Two films on the subject:
Le temps qui reste by the French director Chereau
Death Watch by Bernard Tavernier

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 8:38 am

Sunnycat started an interesting thread about death in the Haven :-

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... highlight=

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 1:13 pm

I think i would quite my job. Because i hate my job :x

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 1:55 pm

Wine...chocolate and lots of it. I would never be without cheesecake for breakfast again.

I'm buying a Harley...an old one, with a nice rumble to it...I want it painted metallic orange and I want a full set of leathers complete with lots of fringe...and I am not riding on back for anyone.

Come Christmas I will be wrapping the house in about 20,000 lights...so that when I hit the switch it's like something out of National Lampoon's Christmas story...I like lights.

I'll be renting an army tank, a big one...I think they have places somewhere where you can rent one...I want to do that...might take it and do a bit of "landscaping" for a few people. *evil laugh*

I want an old Cadillac...I'm going to bury it in the back yard with the rear end sticking up like that millionaire did in Texas...let the next person who buys the house figure out how they're getting that sucker outta there.

...I have a ton of other ideas...nothing remotely sensible, but sure to get me remembered and I'll have alot of fun doing them. :lol:

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 5:51 pm

Being 74 and given that the average life span in my family is 65, I have 4 or five years before me if all goes well.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 2:37 pm

Well 2 yrs ago I was told I had between 5-10 yrs left because of the Lyme disease and also autoimmune disease I have. I would like to think yeah I would do everything I still wanted to do like marry a nice woman, see Antelope Canyon and Cannon Beach. But haven't done any of it. My life hasn't changed and in fact has gotten more boring. It still comes back to don't have extra cash to travel, don't have enough vacation time to travel and don't have anyone to travel with. So at this point unless a miracle happens I will just be doing the same old crap of going to work and puttering around town. At this point I welcome death and can only hope of being released from this pain.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm

I hate to say this, but I would be quite happy about that.
I would make the most of the time left, but look forward to leaving this wretched place.
That is the truth.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 4:47 pm

I should like to be honorable, and not say that I'd like to make life miserable for certain people who went out of their way to harm me, BUT I SURE AS HELL WOULD ! !! !

I'd hire a cement mixing truck to pour a certain person's car full.

I'd travel seaside, and enjoy the beach. I would track down and rent or buy all those movies I've always wanted to see.

I'd decorate the ceiling of my office with bright purple shag carpeting.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 1:54 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I'd decorate the ceiling of my office with bright purple shag carpeting.

Now that's an interesting idea!