Should children be exposed to this on Disney?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 9:15 pm

Pepe wrote:
This is far more educational for children than the Disney cartoons or Cosplay:
Quote:
Gaza kids put on play about stabbing, killing Israelis
Young children brandishing toy knives and guns act out violent scenes in event broadcast on Hamas television
By ToI Staff 27 April 2016

https://www.timesofisrael.com/gaza-kids ... -israelis/

To quote you Pepe - these kids live in "chaotic times".

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:56 am

I watched it again cos I'd watched it a long time ago.

It's like the most inflammatory provocative thing you could ever make. Would it inspire hostility between children at school the next day? I'd say yes.

If you think about it there is no rational reason to show this to children. They have no capacity to vote for reparations or even write articles that could influence someone's vote.

If it is so the children can nag their parents into approving reparations, well why not inform the parents instead.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2023, 1:01 pm

Black History Night at my grade/middle school was not unlike this a few decades ago. Kids dressed as Huey Newton and sang "Lift Every Voice," which has some pretty gruesome lyrics about the Black experience. The teachers were nearly all White, but were generally realistic and forthright; we were only two generations removed from the Jim Crow and The Great Migration, they were only one generation removed. We heard our grandparents talk about lynchings, murders at the hands of police, what's this compared to reality? Also, on a side note I find books bans more objectionable than this.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 1:09 pm

If you don't want your kid to be exposed to certain things, just review them beforehand. Simple. Or let them watch and have a discussion about it.

That said, as someone who grew up very very sheltered (my parents didn't want me to watch The Little Mermaid because it had *gasp* kissing!), also be prepare for your kids to have a huge culture shock when they do finally get old enough to think for themselves. Oversheltering is a thing for certain, and if you restrict kids too much they're going to rebel all the more when they finally break free.

Personally I think it's better to let kids learn things - at an age-appropriate level, of course.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:25 pm

klanka wrote:
If you think about it there is no rational reason to show this to children. They have no capacity to vote for reparations or even write articles that could influence someone's vote..

If I was a paranoid white parent I would say it's planting the seeds in their little heads and when they do get to voting age and there is a plebiscite on reparations they will remember Disney + all those years ago and vote for paying the descendants of slaves reparations.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:43 pm

I think that's one reason for showing it.
But if something is a good idea it should be good enough to convince adults now. So it seems really dodgy to show inflammatory political stuff to children.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:47 pm

klanka wrote:
But if something is a good idea it should be good enough to convince adults now. So it seems really dodgy to show inflammatory political stuff to children.

To be honest children are too young they wont be able to process it anyway. Simpsons are watched by Toddlers and I doubt they get the hundreds of adult references in every episode, instead they are giggling at the Bart getting choked by Homer (somewhat ironic).

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 8:13 pm

klanka wrote:

One of the kids at my church was taught in school that Christopher Columbus was a terrible person and ever since he hates Columbus Day. (Aside, the kid is AuDHD like me.) To the point that his grandmother was advising the pastor not to talk about Columbus Day during children's church because there'd be an outburst from the kid if it was talked about.

I haven't done enough research really on the Columbus stuff, but I don't have a hard time believing it at all.

I do think the idea is to for these shows to try to teach kids.... But. If I could grow up watching cartoons about Columbus that praised him and find out later as an adult that he was a POS, I think the kids can handle learning about stuff right now that might be proven wrong later.

I think if adults are concerned about it they can watch with the child, or review like I wrote in an above post, and give their perspective on that part of the show.

At any rate, political messaging in children's cartoons really isn't new. The shows I grew up with talked about how everyone is equal and valuable....essentially "racism dumb bad". They also talked about a ton of stuff that my parents didn't like or agree with, such as evolution. (Yes, my parents were young earthers. :roll: )
Rugrats was actually decently progressive for its time too.

Mr Rogers Neighborhood even got a little political at times..... re: the episode where he shared a kiddy pool with a black man, in defiance of the racial segregation at public pools.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 9:47 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I think if adults are concerned about it they can watch with the child, or review like I wrote in an above post, and give their perspective on that part of the show.

If a child is too young to process adult concepts then they are probably too young to have their eyes glued to the "idiot box"

Children up to the age of 7-8 should really have zero screen time and should instead be physically active in a playground and making things with their hands, followed by naps or playing with other kids or their parents.

Or do what I did and play recordings of selected kids programs that are deemed educational. My daughter has never watched commercial TV

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 9:58 pm

klanka wrote:
I watched it again cos I'd watched it a long time ago.

It's like the most inflammatory provocative thing you could ever make. Would it inspire hostility between children at school the next day? I'd say yes.

If you think about it there is no rational reason to show this to children. They have no capacity to vote for reparations or even write articles that could influence someone's vote.

If it is so the children can nag their parents into approving reparations, well why not inform the parents instead.

I beg to differ.

It is a very old psychological strategy.
It is childhood indoctrination.
"Give me the boy until age seven, and I will show you the man," Jesuit saying.

Quote:
Sue Palmer of Upstart Scotland , a campaign for a nordic-style kindergarten age in Scotland, makes the case for the power of play in childhood development

‘ Give me a child till he is seven years old,’ said St Ignatius Loyola, ‘ and I will show you the man.’

The founder of the Jesuit Brotherhood was way ahead of his time. For most of human history, serious-minded adults paid scant attention to the under-sevens. After all, small children have no obvious economic worth. They’re also difficult to control and apparently impervious to reason…

But neuroscience has proved Loyola right. Children’s experiences in those first seven years – when formation of the neural networks is governed largely by emotion – will affect their behaviour throughout life. As an international organisation determined to mould human souls for its own purposes, the Jesuit Brotherhood was spot on in targeting the very young.

https://sourcenews.scot/give-me-a-child ... years-old/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 10:01 pm

colliegrace wrote:
If you don't want your kid to be exposed to certain things, just review them beforehand. Simple. Or let them watch and have a discussion about it.

That said, as someone who grew up very very sheltered (my parents didn't want me to watch The Little Mermaid because it had *gasp* kissing!), also be prepare for your kids to have a huge culture shock when they do finally get old enough to think for themselves. Oversheltering is a thing for certain, and if you restrict kids too much they're going to rebel all the more when they finally break free.

Personally I think it's better to let kids learn things - at an age-appropriate level, of course.

Agreed.
Not everyone does.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 10:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

If a child is too young to process adult concepts then they are probably too young to have their eyes glued to the "idiot box"

Children up to the age of 7-8 should really have zero screen time and should instead be physically active in a playground and making things with their hands, followed by naps or playing with other kids or their parents.

Or do what I did and play recordings of selected kids programs that are deemed educational. My daughter has never watched commercial TV

Agreed.
Kids should be kids and not targets of political indoctrination.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2023, 10:39 pm

High school textbooks published in my parent's day would actually mention slavery and would naturally make no mention of reparations, that is indoctrination and every child of color pretty much knows about slavery, so why not know about how there should be reparations?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 11:12 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
High school textbooks published in my parent's day would actually mention slavery and would naturally make no mention of reparations, that is indoctrination and every child of color pretty much knows about slavery, so why not know about how there should be reparations?

I've seen some of the US education videos on slavery for kids and if anything they make the whole antebellum time period into some type of bizarre cartoon.

The cartoon slaves are emotionless, they till the soil with hoes and "massa" rides around on a toy horse. I can't imagine the holocaust being made into a children's cartoon.