Is 38/39 a little soon for me to have a midlife crisis?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 11:03 pm

Thats the normal time folks have midlife crises...isnt it?

Any way you can have a MLC any damned time you want to!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 12:57 pm

It's not too soon. The average life expectancy for a United States male is about 79 I believe.

Half of 79 is 39.5.

39 years old would therefore be the exact right time to have a literal mid-life crisis.

Twiglet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2023, 1:49 pm

I started having a midlife crisis around that time. Still going through it now, a few years later.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2023, 11:11 am

I got mine out of the way at 35. It was more efficient than waiting another 5 years! I'm now on my way to 40, but I've already done all the panicking about that and have reached the acceptance and solutions stage. :mrgreen:

I don't think there is a set age for a mid life crisis. I think it hits you at whatever point you realise that the gap between what you imagined your life would be and what your life actually is has grown so wide that there is no chance of the two versions ever meeting. Then you have to go through the painful process of accepting that the plans you had for your life are not going to happen (basically mourning the 'death of your self', as a therapist once described it to me), then either jump off a bridge or create an alternative set of plans for however many decades you have left.

But once you find a new version of your self and get over the loss of the old person, you can calm down a bit and start living your new life. It's very hard while you're actually going through it, but it does get easier.

David1346
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2024, 6:21 pm

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I never graduated high school properly

I thought this was an odd phrase. Did you complete a GED? If so, you have graduated from high school. You simply chose an alternative route.

I don't think it's ever too late to learn. If you have your GED, why not consider community college? Community college is easier than a 4 year traditional college. To pursue a career, you don't even need a 4 year degree. You could pursue a vocational career for far less in terms of time and expenses.

You could for example, become a paramedic. You could go to culinary school. You could learn to be a firefighter. You could learn plumbing or become an electrician.

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I know I will never want to be in a relationship as I have been single for many years since my early 20's

Never is a long time. Have you done anything to help yourself in this regard? You could meet people by joining clubs or volunteer groups. There's a really good site called Meetups. You enter your zip code and see what groups come up in your local area. You could also join a dating website.

There's no rule that says that you have to wait for a guy to ask you out. You could ask a guy out. The worst that will happen is that the guy says no. if that happens you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go on to the next guy.

This is one reason why dating sites can be so interesting. I think, but am by no means certain, that there are far more guys on these sites than women. You have the ability to sort through various profiles. Look at the profile pictures. Read what they wrote. If they didn't bother taking the time to write about themselves, I would give such profiles a hard pass.

If you find someone interesting whose interests seem to align with yours, send that person an email. Correspond with that person for a while to see how both of you feel. If you seem to be getting along, you could take the first step by asking the other person out.

With so many people in the world, I firmly believe that there's someone out there for everyone who wants a significant other. You just have to look.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2024, 5:55 am

I had a midlife crisis in my early 40s. I went back to college and took many classes. It was one of the best things I have done in my life and I felt I have been recharged with vitality. Plus I proved my worth by beating all my young classmates in grades. :D My mom went to college in her late 40s and graduated at 50. Using her education she got very nice jobs and just retired at age 78. I highly recommend learning as a way of dealing with midlife crisis.

If you feel that you're not into smart things there are simpler things to learn. Like gardening, sewing, cooking, woodwork...etc. Everything can enrich your life and possibly make new friends. :)

OUR_Diagnosis_Doesnt_Equal_We
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2024, 6:03 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I'm turning 39 in a month and I feel kinda like I'm having a early mid life crisis. I don't have job, and I never graduated high school properly, or went to college or university. I'm sick of my period and pms that happens each month and I get into angry meltdowns sometimes when it happens. I do volunteer work and I've tried looking for a job with no success. I know I will never want to be in a relationship as I have been single for many years since my early 20's and I have only a few friends I see in person but not too many. Is 38/39 a little soon for me to have a midlife crisis in anyone's opinion? I don't have any grey hairs yet but I feel middle aged at times especially since I'm turning 40 in March of 2024.

In essence, yes.
Mid-life doesn't come with an exact number but it does come with that reflection on "what have I done/been doing with my life".