Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 5:55 am

Quote:
PMs blaming other than users for their problems, and threatening suicide because of other members counts as abuse and a bannable offence

I was reading the "Important Announcement" rules in the Haven and it said this. I wasn't sure what it meant, as it feels grammatically incorrect (unless I'm reading it wrong).

Is it a bannable offense to threaten suicide if triggered by other members whilst suffering with mental health?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Feb 2023, 6:02 am

Generally, it's about PMs like "I'm going to kill myself and it's your/his/her/their* fault".
Please report any PMs of this nature.
Mental illness needs treatment - it does not justify harassing others.

______
*"his/her/their" = "some other WP member's".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:13 am

magz wrote:
Generally, it's about PMs like "I'm going to kill myself and it's your/his/her/their* fault".
Please report any PMs of this nature.
Mental illness needs treatment - it does not justify harassing others.

______
*"his/her/their" = "some other WP member's".

But I did that the other week, to you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 7:02 am

That kind of talk can be abusive. Very abusive.

Magz seems to know you somewhat, so she understands you might not mean to be abusive. She probably knows you’re venting.

She’s being flexible in her moderation of you because of that understanding.

That’s my take on it.

If you blamed me for your suicidal thoughts, I would find that absurd, so I would probably just ignore it, and move on. Some people don’t have the ability to be that detached, and take it very personally. That’s why this “rule” is there so vulnerable people don’t get hurt.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Feb 2023, 7:25 am

Joe90 wrote:

And the moderation team knows about it, reviewed it and decided in this particular case, it did not require intervention.
Though if similar content was sent to a different member, the moderational decision might have differed.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 8:50 am

magz wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

And the moderation team knows about it, reviewed it and decided in this particular case, it did not require intervention.
Though if similar content was sent to a different member, the moderational decision might have differed.

Oh I see. Thanks for explaining. I was just confused.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

You're right, Joe, there were a few small mistakes in the sentence that made it slightly difficult to parse.

I have adjusted it:

Quote:
PMs blaming other users for their problems, or threatening suicide because of other members, count as abuse and a bannable offence.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 3:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
PMs blaming other than users for their problems, and threatening suicide because of other members counts as abuse and a bannable offence

I was reading the "Important Announcement" rules in the Haven and it said this. I wasn't sure what it meant, as it feels grammatically incorrect (unless I'm reading it wrong).

Is it a bannable offense to threaten suicide if triggered by other members whilst suffering with mental health?

You ARE actually right. That the sentence is grammatically mortally wounded.

The third word shouldnt be there. It should read "blaming other users for their problems...". NOT "Blaming other than users for their problems...".

Sounds like theyre saying "you can blame fellow users of WP for anything you want...go right ahead...because we are all bunch cruel cretins here, and driving folks round the bend is what we all do best...just dont ever give credit for your problems to anyone NOT a user of WP!" :lol:

https://youtu.be/SaV-6qerkqI