Shutting on him if he applied for a job

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 5:17 am

Me and my brother used to know this guy with aspergers called Peter who he labelled as "weird".

When my brother used to work at Dominos pizza he told that he would "Shut the door on Peter if he tried to get a job at Dominos".

Do you think my brothers attitude is unfair or not?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 8:57 am

Jamesy wrote:
Me and my brother used to know this guy with aspergers called Peter who he labelled as "weird".

When my brother used to work at Dominos pizza he told that he would "Shut the door on Peter if he tried to get a job at Dominos".

Unless your brother is the owner or one of the managers, that's not any of his business. Depending upon which job you're talking about, Peter might have been a decent hire. Also, refusing to hire based on real, or perceived, disability is illegal and can result in massive lawsuits.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 9:04 am

If autism is the reason he thinks Peter shouldn't work there your brother is insulting autistics to your face and hoping to get you to agree.

f**k him.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 9:14 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Unless your brother is the owner or one of the managers, that's not any of his business. Depending upon which job you're talking about, Peter might have been a decent hire. Also, refusing to hire based on real, or perceived, disability is illegal and can result in massive lawsuits.

I think my brother was implying that in the scenario that he was actually a manager that he would shut the door on him.

My brother should no better though since I have had the door shut on me before when trying to get employment.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 9:27 am

Jamesy wrote:
My brother should no better though since I have had the door shut on me before when trying to get employment.

Exactly. Instead of trying to joke with you about how that guy deserves to be discriminated against too, your brother needs to consider what it's like for you (and that guy) to deal with.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 9:30 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Exactly. Instead of trying to joke with you about how that guy deserves to be discriminated against too, your brother needs to consider what it's like for you (and that guy) to deal with.

I don’t get why the goverment in the UK can’t find ways around discrimination that autistic people face in employment? Maybe the goverment don’t care all that much or employers find ways around the laws perhaps. Employees who discriminate should have exactly the same done to them. Maybe then they would know how it feels.

Do you remember 10 years ago in the UK that prejudice was at all time highs against people with disabilities because the government was slashing benefits.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 9:36 am

Jamesy wrote:
I don’t get why the goverment in the UK can’t find ways around discrimination that autistic people face in employment? Maybe the goverment don’t care all that much or employers find ways around the laws perhaps. Employees who discriminate should have exactly the same done to them. Maybe then they would know how it feels.

Do you remember 10 years ago in the UK that prejudice was at all time highs against people with disabilities because the government was slashing benefits.

The government only cares as much as voters force them too. As long as attitudes like your brother's are the norm discrimination will still be common.

I just find it ironic when no one wants to hire us, but we're also freeloaders collecting overly-generous benefits, even though benefits also aren't enough to actually live off of.

You're damned at all turns.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 8:33 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Your brother's attitude is unfair, if what you described is true.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 11:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Your brother's attitude is unfair, if what you described is true.

Indeed, and I'd be very much surprised if that was even legal there. In the US, that would be clearly illegal behavior and if it came out in court would result in a substantial award to Peter.