Why go to a gym if I don't want to ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 2:35 pm

I seem to find myself sometimes feeling bad for not joining or going to a gym because I seem to think its a thing that a lot of people seem to do now. I see peloton adverts/commercials, a lot of exercise books in shops, youtube videos of people working out. It feels like everyone is doing it even if they may not have bodily health issues such as weight problems that may require them to go to a gym. I feel by not doing that even though I'm not 100% interested into it I'm still missing out. I've got weights at home but I'm into going out in sportswear or taking my shirt off in front other people I don't know whilst working because I obviously don't really have a muscular physique like Arnold Schwarzenegger and I personally wouldn't want to look like him when he was younger.

I seem to find myself more interested in doing other things rather than religiously keeping fit even I probably keep fit anyway when I'm walking to work and doing a lot of running around and lifting up heavy stuff when I am at work on the shop floor. I did do some quite regular weight lifting and press-ups at home when the pandemic kicked off but now I find myself not always doing that now except just occasionally. I remember jogging around the block near where I lived once but for a week afterwards, my feet were killing me and haven't done it again since.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 2:46 pm

It does seem to be a thing these days. I'm not part of it though. Yes it's good to keep fit but if you're not really into that sort of thing then there's no point in doing it.

I've been dieting without exercising, and I still lost weight. And I have a lot of nervous/hyperactive energy.

But when others my age say they're going to the gym I do sometimes start feeling bad about myself because I'm not going. But now that I've been doing so well with dieting and have lost weight then it feels better than when I was plump and seeing other people posting videos of themselves at the gym on Facebook.

Going to the gym is expensive too, and it takes time, money and enthusiasm to have a gym membership.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 2:57 pm

You can just exercise at home for free.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 5:35 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It does seem to be a thing these days. I'm not part of it though. Yes it's good to keep fit but if you're not really into that sort of thing then there's no point in doing it.

I've been dieting without exercising, and I still lost weight. And I have a lot of nervous/hyperactive energy.

But when others my age say they're going to the gym I do sometimes start feeling bad about myself because I'm not going. But now that I've been doing so well with dieting and have lost weight then it feels better than when I was plump and seeing other people posting videos of themselves at the gym on Facebook.

Going to the gym is expensive too, and it takes time, money and enthusiasm to have a gym membership.

That's another thing as well I've forgotten paying to be in a gym. Why pay to do it if I am not so motivated or passionate enough to do it ?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 10:29 pm

Getting fit might help with your health and prevent some chronic diseases from developing. I am 56 and feel as good as I ever have physically in life. Luckily I can go to the gym where I teach for free. Sometimes I go twice a day. Been really getting into weightlifting recently. It is something that I might become successful at that doesn't cost any money.
I don't have the money to spend on my other hobbies to be really successful in them.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 3:39 am

Just exercise at home or outside. No need for a gym if you don't particularly care for them.