What's the likelihood that one can write narratives for...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sodepressed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2023, 10:59 am

...franchises, that is. I mean, I do my own amateur games, but what I'm mainly interested in is writing, so mechanics come out lacklustre, and other assets is only what's available (can't do graphics or music, sadly), and of course since I'm some random person online rarely do people get to play and read what I wrote (and when they do they often end up commenting on everything other than the writing... or, worse, criticize only it, but I suppose it's still better than being mostly ignored for years after...)

It's kind of impossible, isn't it? Some sort of delusion I have, for such impossibilities as writing any of the narrative of any major RPG franchise... and, to truly nail the coffin, most are Japanese, and that is just not my language (and, no, I wouldn't like translations even if I could)...

Most games lately all seem mechanics-centric, too... not even sure if I just passed the golden age of RPGs, or something (90s?)... I mean, in the utter depths of my illusions I imagine showing someone the half a million characters I wrote so far, and that would somehow be an adequate replacement for my lack of formal qualifications, but I suppose realistically I'm confined to everlasting obscurity...

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 2:29 pm

I don't see why you couldn't eventually write for a franchise. I personally love story driven games. Maybe building up a portfolio by working on indie projects could.get you the experience you need to get there. I'm sure there are people out there looking for help with their game projects. Don't give up.

sodepressed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2023, 12:47 pm

So far no one seems to want my 'help' (I mean, most people can write at a basic level, so they might not think my style of writing is something to be desired)... how likely would it be, though, to get a response from some corporation after (if) they see my writing?

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2023, 7:56 pm

Well I talked to my cousin who used to work in the industry.

He said the people he worked with often had some sort of writing degree. They often would also learn about other aspects of game design like say the art side. He said researching degrees related to video game design is a good bet.

He suggested following someone named adrian ropp if you are on face book. He said he answers questions and can help point you in the right direction.

He also suggested making games.with rpg maker and visual novels with Renpy. That way you have something to work on and also to show people.

I hope that helps.

sodepressed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2023, 11:57 am

I've created games with those and more (want to try them all), but no, I doubt that'd be seen as a substitute for degrees, and to get one of those would be nigh impossible as the country I live in makes it so only those with money can get them, and I've no support network, either, so it'll be like climbing a mountain on my own. And why that person specifically? Looks like he worked on a hateful game, so I think I'll give him a pass... I mean, ultimately, as opposed to e.g. my other dream to do neuroscience, at least I can write games in an amateur fashion... don't need expensive equipment, or anything... but it sure would be nice to be able to do it for games I grew up on (unlikely, though, as they're Japanese, as mentioned...)