Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 12:24 am

I don't want the little guy to get killed but it wont go into any of the non-kill traps me and my bf set out. So idk what to do cause I don't want to kill it. It would be easir if I had a cat that would eat mice as then it would be the cats problem till it brings the body back as a gift like cats do. So I guess either way cat or not I'd still have a pet skeleton to deal with.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 4:48 am

Can you obtain some slightly used cat litter?  Not enough for you to smell, but just enough to drive the mice away.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 11:19 am

Have you tried a rolling log trap?

They can be lethal or non-lethal, depending on if there's water in the bucket or not. He has lots of videos demonstrating different traps you could try, a lot of them are variations of the rolling log trap.

Cat or rat piss will work too, like Fnord suggested. Rats eat mice, so mice try to avoid them just like cats.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 11:33 am

Mice also really don't like the odor of Mint, so you can use it to repel them. Its also safe to use around food prep and storage areas.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 11:35 am

DanielW wrote:
Mice also really don't like the odor of Mint, so you can use it to repel them. Its also safe to use around food prep and storage areas.

Expanding on this, my dad has used peppermint essential oil to keep mice out of project cars. It should be ~$10.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 12:58 pm

Please don't kill it (I know you said you don't want to kill it). I've never had a mouse come in my home before so I wouldn't really know.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2023, 12:20 am

You can use Irish Spring soap or make a solution of Capsaicin.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 12:35 pm

Mike like to be where there is food. They like grains like rice and fat like peanut butter, lard or bacon. If you can find the food the mouse is coming in for and put it in a mouse proof container (like in a refrigerator or freezer) then the mouse will find someplace to eat and forage.

Mice also don't like loud noises - some construction sites use loud rock or heavy metal music to keep the mice away, but you need to consider neighbors. There are devices that are supposed to make loud noise that cannot be heard by humans, but can be heard by mice - the trick with those is it is hard to tell if it is really working - since you cannot hear it - you might get fooled by an dishonest seller.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 6:29 pm

Peppermint oil. I use a mixture of peppermint oil and water to keep chipmunks out of my car engine. Most rodents hate it.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 7:34 am

I saw him speed across the floor and was able to use items to trap him and then caught him in a jar with air holes. Be ready!
I transported the little fella to a nature preserve that had a very deep layer of leaves and undergrowth. I hope he found some friends.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 6:16 pm

My dad had a realistic looking plastic owl he used to strap to his single engine plane with bungy cords to keep small birds from nesting on the engine. I bet mice wouldn’t like the look of it either.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 2:13 pm

Moth balls if you can stand the smell.
I use them in out buildings and to keep them out of the lawn mower.
I never had luck with peppermint oil.
Trying cinnamon now to keep them from digging in window boxes.
You can also get live traps to catch and release.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 8:05 pm

beady wrote:
I saw him speed across the floor and was able to use items to trap him and then caught him in a jar with air holes.  Be ready!  I transported the little fella to a nature preserve that had a very deep layer of leaves and undergrowth.  I hope he found some friends.
Congratulations!

:thumleft: Job well done!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 12:33 pm

Did the mouse situation ever resolve?

If not, I was going to suggest one of those plug in sonar devices. But be forewarned, some people with very sensitive ears can also find them unpleasant. But you'd just have to unplug it if it turned out you could hear it too. It should simply make the mouse leave and not hurt him.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2023, 11:20 pm

I've heard Mothballs work, but Capsaicin seemed to keep rodents from coming back under my hood and chewing through the wires in my car. Honda also sells anti-rodent tape you can place where the mouse frequents and strip down later.