Education Or Brainwashing. What Are The Differences?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 5:12 am

List the differences between the two.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 10:14 am

Um... education is when you tell someone facts, but brainwashing is when you tell someone your opinions and beliefs while claiming them to be facts?

As in, saying "in the Christian religion, there is only one god" is education, for it tells what certain people believe but doesn't tell one to believe it too, but saying "there is only one god" is brainwashing, because it claims a belief to be a fact.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2023, 4:22 pm

Hardly any difference when you think about it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:13 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
List the differences between the two.

Thought Reform or "Brainwashing" would incorporate a lot more of the things that are on The BITE Model developed by Steve Hassan than simple math lessons I would assume.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:29 am

Teaching: The candidate won the election for having the most electoral votes.
Brainwashing: The candidate won the election using Jewish space-lasers to tamper with voting machines.

Teaching: Some people may have adverse reactions to the vaccines.
Brainwashing: The vaccines contain nanobots that will re-write your DNA.

Teaching: Cultural diversity brings new ideas and widens our perspective.
Brainwashing: Foreign immigrants are here to steal our jobs and our women.

Teaching: Autism is a developmental disorder that adversely affects a person's social growth.
Brainwashing: Autism is a curse from God as retribution for the sins of the parents.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:33 am

Well like trying to erase the existence of trans people and homosexual people...vs educating kids a bit on what it's all about.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:59 am

The highest goals of education are evaluation and creativity. That's a far cry from brainwashing.

Brainwashing, aka regurgitation and recall, are considered the lowest order skills.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 5:55 pm

Education is teaching people truth and how to find truth. Brainwashing isn’t a real thing, but I guess it could be considered teaching people falsehoods.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:55 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
Hardly any difference when you think about it.

Hardly any similarity if you think about it.

The term brainwashing was coined in the Korean War to describe the communist doing stuff to American pows to make them disloyal to America, or be commies, or like that.

Nothing to do with school age children.

You have to have something in your brain first (some amount of education and upbringing)... in order for your brain to be 'washed' of it. So you have to be a grown up to be "brainwashed".

So if you already have the belief that one and one equals two, and some cult learder convinces you that one and one equals seventeen then you have been brainwashed.

++++++++++++++++
If the topic is teaching children...

If a school system teaches children stuff you agree with ...then...they are "teaching values".

If a school system teaches children stuff that you dont agree with then they are..."indoctrinating". :lol:

Its a bit subjective.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 4:22 pm

"Brainwashing" in the sense of the "RW" now claiming it is going on in public schools, means they (the "RW") believe educators are feeding students falsehoods about "reality" in order to further a nefarious agenda...

BUT, ha ha! It is THEY who are doing the "brainwashing", using a multifaceted media and political approach to fool the masses into believing falsehoods.

Education, on the other hand, is the dissemination of known fact to a student body, in the aim to allow said student body to increase their knowledge of certain facts/subjects, so said student body can enter society a productive, EDUCATED Peoples.

Now, I must point out that I had no idea the Koreans were accused of "brainwashing" POWs (I'm assuming that part of Korea known as the DPRK)... which is interesting, as, if you know anything TRUE about the DPRK, all they were doing, presumably, was "washing" the western indoctrination from the minds of the POWs... AKA "re-education"... Education!... teaching true facts. Interesting.

*steps off communist shill soapbox*

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

FCatus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2023, 11:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well like trying to erase the existence of trans people and homosexual people...vs educating kids a bit on what it's all about.

Educating kids about that is very important. Personally I've got many LGBT+ friends and suspect myself to be part of the community. However they're (at least those teachers I've met in Personal Development) failing at it by changing the topic every time a sensitive question is asked and/or outright referring you to the counselour/safeguarding team.

The question I asked was "What's the difference between gender identity and gender stereotype?" to be clear. Sincere question with no malice in it. At all.
My mother was bewildered when the pastoral team called home for "potentially discriminating behaviour".