2023 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 8:45 am

Kate Bush, Missy Elliott, and Rage Against the Machine Inducted Into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2023

Quote:
Kate Bush, Missy Elliott, Sheryl Crow, and Rage Against the Machine are all getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as part of the class of 2023. The other performer inductees are Willie Nelson, George Michael, and the Spinners.

Hip-hop legend DJ Kool Herc and guitarist Link Wray will receive the Musical Influence Award, and Chaka Khan, Al Kooper, and Elton John’s songwriter Bernie Taupin are receiving the Musical Excellence Award. In addition, Don Cornelius, the late creator of Soul Train, will get the Ahmet Ertegun Award. The 2023 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony happens on Friday, November 3, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

“This year’s incredible group of inductees reflects the diverse artists and sounds that define rock’n’roll,” John Sykes, chairman of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said in a press statement. “We are honored that this November’s induction ceremony in New York will coincide with two milestones in music culture; the 90th birthday of Willie Nelson and the 50th Anniversary of the birth of hip-hop.”

Sheryl Crow, George Michael, Missy Elliott, and Willie Nelson are making the Rock Hall after their first nominations. Kate Bush is being inducted on her fourth nomination, Rage Against the Machine get the nod on their fifth try, and the Spinners were also inducted after four nominations.

DJ Kool Herc, who co-hosted the 1973 party identified as the place of hip-hop’s public liftoff, is recognized as the genre celebrates its 50th anniversary. The North Carolina–born guitarist Link Wray, whose Indigenous upbringing influenced his material, is recognized as an early architect of edgy, exploratory rock music.

Bernie Taupin and Chaka Khan are both recognized for their standard-bearing work in the pop arena with Musical Excellence Awards, in addition to Al Kooper, who worked as a rock-focused manager, producer, and songwriter.

The artists who got nominated for 2023 induction but did not make the final cut are A Tribe Called Quest, Cyndi Lauper, Iron Maiden, Joy Division/New Order, Soundgarden, Warren Zevon, and the White Stripes.

As I always say when the inductees are named I understand that this not the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but the Hall of Fame of music since Rock and Roll came out. It has been this way a long time now. Complaining about it is a lost cause, boycott it or deal with it. I choose to deal with it.

Having been a fan since the beginning of the 80s I am tickled pink that Kate Bush is finally in.

Sheryl Crow is good, I like her but don’t I think she is HOF material, George Michael??. I am upset that Joy Division/New Order, and Soundgarden did not make it. As they say “Wait till next year”

Kate Bush’s reaction
This is something I never thought I would see either. Congrats, Congrats, Congrats. For a Brit obsessed country she up until now has been too British for America. Thanks to people at Stranger Things and their Gen Z fans that changed that in a big way last year. As far as I know Kate has not been to America since 1993. Her only performance here was in 1978 on SNL. It would be great if she is here for the induction ceremony.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 11:38 am

:heart: {{{ Kate Bush and Bernie Taupin and Willie Nelson }}} :heart:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 1:19 pm

Today it was announced the late Don Cornelius the creator and host of Soul Train will receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award. In this clip, the musical guest was the Spinners who were elected today.

Soul Trail line dance

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman