Most of the time, it seems BS. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
 Pure, hot, steaming BS. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
 I am unemployed or retired. 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 26

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 7:02 am

My job is def. Not BS in terms of the field i work in.

But the conditions, work hours and the salary? BS also the lack of supervision

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 4:19 pm

I don't work anymore. I'm on ssdi now.

Most of my jobs have been low skill type jobs... bar tender, retail, things like that. The only job I ever had that was actually challenging and interesting to me was when I was a hazmat janitor or sorts at a plant. I cleaned a lot of asbestos out of walls and ceilings for a while there. It was very much necessary. I'd argue though that even the service industry type jobs I had did have point to them, purpose in their own ways. I was needed as an employee to do a job that made money and gave people a thing they wanted or needed. Corporate was often incompetent and seemed to seek to undo the progress we were trying to make in house, or maybe there was a boss or coworkers who were the problems, but the actual jobs themselves? Nah, none of mine were complete bs.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 4:25 pm

If you separate the work from the workplace? No BS at all. The workplace? Total BS (meetings that could have been an e-mail, Team-working that just slows the process down, commuting, etc.)

D0rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2023, 11:40 pm

i work remotely collecting data at supermarkets making sure certain brands are present and where they paid to be put and no matter how egregiously wrong i do my job (either by accident or on purpose) i have never been corrected, so definite BS.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:45 pm

Remote Data Aggregation?  At least you are getting paid for it (I hope).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 12:09 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
so I help keep those animals fed and their enclosures clean and pet them and give them attention to make their days a bit better. Like someone needs to do it and I am one of the people who does. Of course I would like if it wasn't nessisary for animals like that to be in a lab, but we aren't there yet as society so I feel like I at least can give those animals some nice interactions,

It takes strength to give that love there.
I am glad you are.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 12:17 am

Most of my jobs were in retail; books, stationery, pets, toys, hobbies.
Worked one year as a substitute teacher.
Had an overnight security guard job for several years at an auto auction. It was as much shipping and receiving as anything else since the auto transporters got there whenever they arrived from wherever they left from.
The auction had stopped shipping by rail a couple years before I worked there. Bummer. But, hey, the railroad still ran right outside the fence. :D
Worked for AT&T for 3 years.
Worked housekeeping for a waterfront hotel summers in high school and college.
Drove an auto parts delivery route for a large car dealer one summer. Went to 4 different states on that one.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:04 am

I'm someone who works "all around".

It is half BS half serious in my case.

So yes -- I'm a cleaner and a maintainer, I'm sometimes an accountant/secretary/manager (yes, this means talking someone, talking for someone, etc.), I managed clients spatially and socially (whether managing waiting areas or making them feel welcome), I did substitutions for other employees (this includes managing in my boss' absence), I've been a stand in for my boss, I've been a goon/flunky for my boss (and did explicitly explained this), I've been someone who became an in-between, I've been that one typist the building needs if they want to meet the deadline by the last minute, I've been an adviser of varying topics, I made plenty of digital stuff including not limited to arts and crafts and power point slideshows, I've been that errands person, etc. Heck, even literal baby sitting, modeling (literally and not-so-literally).

That's not all of it.
It's a small workplace.

Safety net or not -- it's confusing, it's stressful.
I haven't able to try other jobs simpler or more specialized than that. :|

So if I leave... I don't know how to make of it.

Maybe when I turn 30.
I don't care which job -- maybe I'd go back to college if I have to.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 24 May 2023, 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:08 am

sheep dung
cleaning out the stables is strangely relaxing, after a while,
and you get something done, one pitch a time, one wheelbarrow a time, one skip a time

hahaha science fantasy again (just trying to translate)
The deep litter method was first used in 1946
The deep litter cultivation is a modern ecological breeding technique based on decomposing feces by microbiological methods
we're almost back at re-inventing the wheel any day now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:48 pm

I had a position in a law firm's accounting dept. that def. creeped into BS job territory much the time.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"