Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 7:13 am

mharrington85 wrote:
Why then does, say, "Out-Run" have other cars on the road, as though you need to beat them? Or are they just obstacles meant only to get in your way?

In Out Run, yes. None of the other cars are racing, they're just obstacles. If time runs out before you get to the finish line, you get a game over.

There are other Sega racing games with a timer, like Virtua Racing, Sega Rally, Daytona USA...they do have other racers, and it keeps track of your position, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, since your time is the ultimate goal.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 10:54 am

Silent Hill games

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2023, 1:23 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:
Why then does, say, "Out-Run" have other cars on the road, as though you need to beat them? Or are they just obstacles meant only to get in your way?

In Out Run, yes. None of the other cars are racing, they're just obstacles. If time runs out before you get to the finish line, you get a game over.

There are other Sega racing games with a timer, like Virtua Racing, Sega Rally, Daytona USA...they do have other racers, and it keeps track of your position, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, since your time is the ultimate goal.

In games like the Mario Kart series, you are racing other characters. I've tried to look up information on, say, the first game via the instruction manual, which can be viewed online, and while it does mention both 1- and 2-player modes, it doesn't really specify anything about the other racers in the 1-player mode, only that you lose if you get 5th place or worse.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2023, 9:33 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
...while it does mention both 1- and 2-player modes, it doesn't really specify anything about the other racers in the 1-player mode, only that you lose if you get 5th place or worse.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but the other racers are all controlled by AI (and they usually cheat).

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2023, 12:50 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but the other racers are all controlled by AI (and they usually cheat).

I mean, they don't specify how the other characters are controlled in a 1-person game, as opposed to 2-person.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 10:35 am

mharrington85 wrote:
I mean, they don't specify how the other characters are controlled in a 1-person game, as opposed to 2-person.

It's the same in both. Any racers not controlled by a human are controlled by AI.
Some Mario Kart games also have a "versus" mode, where it's just the humans.
And some have "time trial" where you're just trying to beat your own times.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 3:49 pm

World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft Classic, and SWG Legends are all MMORPG games that I essentially play by myself. My goal is for other players, who are starting out, can afford to buy materials, create things, and sell other things at a profit so they can buy items they need.

Charge unto others as you would have them charge unto you.

I don't care if other people ask for 15 gold for 20 stacks of copper bars. I ask for 3 silver because I can get 2 silver if I sell the same stack to a vendor. By the way, I've noticed no one is selling 20 stacks of copper for 15 gold anymore. 15 silver maybe. So I get a certain amount of joy disrupting the market.

But I don't message others or interact. In SWG Legends, people like me are the ire of so many players who believe only social players should play MMORPG. Ptui... I spit on their opinion. :-x :)

In both, if I run into a situation where I am not powerful enough to solve, like killing a level 23 creature when I'm level 17, or infiltrating a group of level 17 creatures where their combined strength will defeat me, I wait until I'm a higher level, or I try to get smart how I attack. I'm not that smart, because I'm slow, but I sometimes get lucky. I'm unlikely to on any dungeons at my level.

Play Diablo IV the same, in terms of attacking monsters and demons, but it is a MMO game that doesn't seem to mind single player participation.

I play another game alone called DayZ. It is more of a challenge. It is very easy to die from starvation, dehydration, or zombie attack. I set up a server in case my sons feel like joining, and I don't have to worry about psychopath players. We use to play public servers, but some players are genuinely psychopaths. I once gave a player some water. They accepted it, thanked me, said I looked kind of cute, and then killed me. It was in game voice chat on their side. I sent text. I felt violated. I've also had people sneak up on me, knock me out, tape my hands together, wait for me to wake up, so they could knock me out again, over and over. Eventually, they shot me. Tell me that person does not have psychopathic tendencies. So now I just play on my server.

I use to play SCUM, but I got bored with the updates. The players can be very hostile, and form in-game gangs. I use to play it for the fun of just surviving. They've changed it to the point where it got restrictive and boring.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 10:44 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
I haven't been bowling in a long time, but when I did, I never practiced, because I was always with someone. I didn't even know that it was possible to do so (to just go over there to practice, I mean).

I can't imagine them turning someone away for wanting to work on their game instead of competing with someone.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 10:06 am

Fallout 4 I try to rush to get the best ending with Minutemen, BoS, and Railroad still alive to were I can focus on settlement building. I run mods to make it easier like to add things to build with and to increase the settlement size limit etc.

I also have to add on Wii Sports.

TT1660
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2023, 9:23 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
Aren't you supposed to play, say, racing games with someone else?

The same question could be asked regarding use of a double bed, bathtubs, and even cars. You've asked this question twice. It's exactly why single player mode exists. Why do cars start when there's only on person in them? Why do buses run empty between runs? For similar reasons.

How would the majority of games sell if they were only two player or multiplayer? I don't think Red Dead Redemption or any GTA game would yield the same amount of income if there was no single player mode.

DRM is bad enough. I can't imagine POOP (presence of others (whilst) playing) being any more popular. IE you launch the game. It spies on your place to check if there is another player present with a controller ready. If it yields a negative value, the game process terminates.

Sillylilgoober
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2023, 7:40 pm

you can play a hat in time,miitopia,tomodachi life, and all the papa pizzeria games

NobodyNothingJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2023, 12:21 am

Elder scrolls online aka ESO. I play this game daily and very often by myself but I also group up with people in game when I want to socialize. I love this game.