Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 9:26 pm

How much of my true self can i show? social adaptation in autistic women: a qualitative study

Quote:
Abstract
Background

Social adaptation is often aimed at supporting autistic people, yet its specific goals may not include their actual perspectives. That is, the state of adaptation is judged based on the standards and values of non-autistic people. This qualitative study focused on autistic women’s perceptions of social adaptation and examined their lived experiences in daily life, as adaptive behaviors have often been reported as a “female autism phenotype.”

Methods
Semi-structured interviews were conducted face-to-face with ten autistic women aged 28–50 years (M = 36.7; standard SD = 7.66). The analysis was conducted based on the grounded theory approach.

Results
Two core perceptions were identified: maintaining stable relationships and fulfilling social roles based on past experiences of “maladaptation.” The participants sought adaptations within a reasonable range and adjusted their balance with society to maintain stability in their daily lives.

Conclusion
The findings indicated that autistic women’s perceptions of adaptation were based on the accumulation of past negative experiences. Further harmful efforts should be prevented. Support for autistic people to make their own choices in life is also important. Moreover, autistic women need a place where they can be themselves and be accepted as they are. This study showed the importance of changing the environment rather than modifying autistic people to adapt to a society.

While I only posted the Abstract the full study is available if you click the link.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 1:24 am

Social adaptation is often aimed at supporting autistic people,
<this makes no sense, if literally read (idk the soc meaning)
but only if you read it as professional outsider

its just as the 'farming' world there's more administrative regulators then actual farms
cushy regulating ever more regulations

or normal is open to pruning while the aut resistance has to be overruled with social-icing protocols,
when the normal hounds smell blood they will keep smelling that no matter how deep you bow,
after all the years i learned 'social' and its forms are 'pretend" words but actually its always about the hierarchy; your standing among the 'socials'

the social engeneering, why do "we" care more about fake hair (as seen in society and debt) then being sensible/ long term minded
thr higher standing of unreal,

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-afri ... A620140806
"During the forecast period from 2023 to 2031, the global Hair Extension, Wigs and Weaves market is expected to experience significant growth. As of 2022, the market is growing at a steady pace and with the increasing implementation of strategies by major players, the market is projected to continue its upward path.

from communicating simcards to virtuesignalling wigs?
:jester: :jester:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 2:30 am

quote wrote:
Conclusion
The findings indicated that autistic women’s perceptions of adaptation were based on the accumulation of past negative experiences. Further harmful efforts should be prevented. Support for autistic people to make their own choices in life is also important. Moreover, autistic women need a place where they can be themselves and be accepted as they are. This study showed the importance of changing the environment rather than modifying autistic people to adapt to a society.

I LOVE THIS.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 8:15 pm

I'm not religious but halleluiah: "This study showed the importance of changing the environment rather than modifying autistic people to adapt to a society."

This happened for myself and my daughter: "Furthermore, successful camouflaging may lead to barriers in accessing support and diagnosis". As everyone here is painfully aware, her first diagnosis attempt failed. My therapist is positive it's happening for my son who presents in a more "female" fashion. I think he's just a touch away from ASD, but very, very close (he has more repetitive and rigidity markers than my daughter and I, but he's a better conversationalist - possibly better ability to compensate or a touch away from ASD). For sure he only connects with ND friends.

Gratefully and bitterly: Clearly the researcher is Autistic or is close to somebody who is, b/c how else would they highlight this: "One participant stated that it is not the autistic people who are the obstacle, but the society that is the obstacle for them to live. This raises the question of whether it is appropriate to place responsibility for the social adaptation solely on autistic people. Discrepancies can arise between the autistic and non-autistic sides due to a lack of mutual understanding [22], and in many cases, autistic people are trying to learn and adapt to the mainstream society: non-autistic people’s culture. It has been pointed out that traditional interventions, such as modifying autistic behavior to fit social situations, can be damaging [20, 24, 31]. The importance of intervening through the environment to improve a person and social environmental fit, rather than modifying the person, has been proposed [19, 42]."