Did I say something that he found racially triggering?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 2:46 pm

I put some items right outside my front door to pick up this morning. In the meantime, another truck from a different company pulled up in front of my building. So, I wondered if they were affiliated. Additionally, the driver pulled out two bins, so I wondered.

The driver happened to be black while I am white

So anyway, I asked him if he was affiliated with the organization so when I asked him, he seemed like he was very ticked off. So when I explained my situation and he said, "No" I said, "Ok thank you." He replied with a very sarcastic sneer.

So did I come across as racist to him?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 3:43 pm

Hmm, I don't quite understand. What do you mean by you put some items outside your front door to pick up this morning? Do you mean for a man, or woman, in a truck to pick up? Was it rubbish or donations?

Despite me not quite understanding, I still don't think you said anything wrong, and I hate the way some people go around assuming everyone is being racist just by asking a question that has nothing to do with race.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 4:23 pm

Yes, they were donations that I had scheduled to be picked up today and so I wondered his company was affiliated with the said organization.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 4:42 pm

That was hardly rude or racist of you to ask him, I mean he drew up in a truck with two bins, you wasn't to know, he could have just said yes or no instead of getting sarcastic.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 5:02 pm

You didn't provide enough information in your post. What did he say when he gave you a "sarcastic sneer"? Is there anything you said that you think was racist? Some of the conversation seems to be left out, and I literally cannot see how you could think he thought you were being racist besides for the fact he's black and got annoyed???

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 6:35 pm

I'm confused too. I didn't understand the scenario or why it might be considered racist.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 7:32 pm

Maybe he didn't think you were racist, maybe he was just being rude.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 7:37 pm

Theyre probably short handed and behind in picking up the garbage, and he is under stress, and didnt have time to discuss it.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 8:52 am

Fairfield wrote:
You didn't provide enough information in your post. What did he say when he gave you a "sarcastic sneer"? Is there anything you said that you think was racist? Some of the conversation seems to be left out, and I literally cannot see how you could think he thought you were being racist besides for the fact he's black and got annoyed???

Here is the rest of the information -

The reason I wondered if he felt that way was because I noticed that he was much more polite to my upstairs neighbor who who also happened to be black. So I was wondering if me being white was very triggering to him.