Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 12:18 pm

Please stop using [quote][/quote] to insert an article. It makes the text far too small to read. Just plop it into the regular text box, and use >>>s or ""s

Thanks

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 1:00 pm

No.

Use Ctrl and the scroll wheel to enlarge the text so you can read it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 1:08 pm

No

I do not have an easy scroll on this computer (track pad)

(I'm not expecting anybody to do this, I just needed say it)

My text only website

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 1:09 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
No

I do not have an easy scroll on this computer (track pad)

(I'm not expecting anybody to do this, I just needed say it)

Ctrl and the plus key will do it too.
Ctrl and the minus key will unzoom.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Jun 2023, 5:04 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
Please stop using quote tags to insert an article. It makes the text far too small to read.
The purpose of the quote tag pair is to avoid users making an assortment of attempts at quoting content - some clear, others not so much. Using these tags creates uniform and consistent quotes; it also allows the forum software to correctly nest multiple quotes and to put a cap on the number of quotes per post.

The text I see in quoted blocks is the same size as other text in the post, so it would seem the small text size you see is due to your device - see screencap below:

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 5:22 pm

Thanks.That makes sense. Funny, too, as FF has a "reader" function that displays the page in a larger font size and "readable" typeface, which I use, it's just tough to "catch" the actual text I want to read a lot of the time.

My text only website

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Jun 2023, 5:34 pm

The trouble with FF's "reader mode" is that it can strip rather too many graphical elements from a page - in this case, all the elements that highlight a quote as being different to the post body, and so much more.

It's Ok for (say) a single news article and efficiently strips all the graphical noise and ads to leave just the text - but it's not such a good idea on a forum where the graphics is used in the formatting of a page. There, it's not noise and ads.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 5:49 pm

Okay, then what causes the quote block font to be about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of post text
in Firefox
and
in Chrome
and
in Microsoft Edge
and
on a Dell laptop
and
on a ASUS desktop PC
:?:
:?:
Thanks to messy health including endocrine, mitochondrial, neurological, autoimmune disease I have neither the computer skill nor knowledge to be purposely causing that,

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm

Cornflake wrote:
The trouble with FF's "reader mode" is that it can strip rather too many graphical elements from a page - in this case, all the elements that highlight a quote as being different to the post body, and so much more.

It's Ok for (say) a single news article and efficiently strips all the graphical noise and ads to leave just the text - but it's not such a good idea on a forum where the graphics is used in the formatting of a page. There, it's not noise and ads.

Actually, that's off... when I applied it to an old thread page that had a lot of missing images, it showed all of them. IDK, it could have been a one off/due to any JS that got stripped.

My text only website

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jun 2023, 9:01 am

Since I'm also using Firefox, yet the quoted text looks Ok, it's not a Firefox browser problem or a platform problem.
The solution lies in a browser configuration change I made years ago, so you'll forgive me for forgetting about it. :lol:

The font size selected by phpBB for quoted text is indeed stupidly tiny, or at least it is in the implementation used for WP - I've run phpBB locally and the defaults there were much more useable. Unfortunately I don't have Developer access and can't therefore adjust the defaults used on WP.

Left to their own devices browsers will try to display text as near as requested by the source page as typeface and size; clearly here that's no use at all and needs to be changed.

In Firefox, look on the "Settings" page for the font configuration and near to that, select the "Advanced" option.
You'll see something similar to this below - probably using different colors and certainly with different font types/sizes.

I'm using an HD screen and most of the default typefaces and sizes are too small for my cheap plywood eyes so the font sizes shown there are just my personal choices.
The kicker is the default next to "Minimum font size" - it'll be "None", meaning the browser will simply use that suggested by the page source. Even if it's too small to be useful.

I suggest as a start point setting it to the same size as used for the "Proportional" font; you can tweak as required for the best effect from there and maybe even tweak the other font details too.
If you have another browser tab open on a page showing quoted text you can make the change and then switch to that tab to see the effect immediately - no browser restarts or page refreshes are required.

I checked this in various browsers and they all have the same configuration available, under different names and through various "Settings" terminology but all basically the same thing, with no minimum font size specified.
In the case of Microsoft's "Edge" browser there's a slider instead of a selectable font size. Typically for MS it's fairly meaningless and selectable as "tiny" to "huge" (or words to that effect) but the font sizes are shown in a different area.

Quote font size tweaked, and resolved, on: Firefox, Edge, Vivaldi, and Google Chrome.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 10:36 am

TY for looking into all that.
I should mention that I also have a dark reader extension that tends to fill up the displayed page with a ton of garbage CSS, and so it is possible that may be tweaking things here a bit, too, and I've kinda given up on web-dev-styling and embraced simple text/HTML, so I have no desire rn to look lol

My text only website

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jun 2023, 10:40 am

:scratch: But Firefox has a "dark mode" option built-in.

Edit: sorry - misread "dark reader" as dark mode.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 10:46 am

It's for websites that bypass anything FF does. Funny, too, with some websites it completely breaks and puts white text on white background, so I have to use the FF reader. OHHH and it's an older version, as I'm on a circa 2006 laptop, running a Linux distro.

My text only website

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 11:00 am

Cornflake wrote:

In Firefox, look on the "Settings" page for the font configuration and near to that, select the "Advanced" option.
You'll see something similar to this below - probably using different colors and certainly with different font types/sizes.

I'm using an HD screen and most of the default typefaces and sizes are too small for my cheap plywood eyes so the font sizes shown there are just my personal choices.
The kicker is the default next to "Minimum font size" - it'll be "None", meaning the browser will simply use that suggested by the page source. Even if it's too small to be useful.

I suggest as a start point setting it to the same size as used for the "Proportional" font; you can tweak as required for the best effect from there and maybe even tweak the other font details too.

Okay, fixing to do that and see what happens.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 11:01 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Okay, fixing to do that and see what happens.

YAY!

Thanks!

:D

I'll find where those settings are in Chrome and Microsoft Edge later when (hypothetically) I have more energy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jun 2023, 11:07 am

^ :lol: Excellent - happy it helped.