How some people get away with doing nothing at work

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:20 am

rse92 wrote:
Only in government can you sit on your ass and do nothing forever. In private businesses, eventually the day will come when the inefficient, the useless, the shiftless will be separated from the company.

A smart employee understands that when they are given little or nothing to do, even if the paychecks keep coming, it's best to find employment at a business where everyone is busy.

I've worked for the government and it's not tolerated there. So many complaints even about innocuous things that you'd get away with in the private sector as everybody thinks they're your boss.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2023, 9:39 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Doing my job on top of that, and single parenting, nearly killed me.
Literally.
I'm still recovering.

An ethical country would pay the living expenses of single mothers for X years after the birth, so that no single mothers are forced to suffer the misery of trying to work and take care of a baby simultaneously. I would vote for that. However I would definitely be outvoted. More than 50% of people are strongly opposed to supporting single mothers and their babies.

Even if there existed a government that was totally free of corruption, this is not enough. Even without any corruption in the government and the politicians, more than 50% of people are still opposed to ethical behavior. If a president would do the right thing, he/she would actually be undemocratic, because the majority of people don't want to do the right thing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:57 am

We get two year paid mat leave with job security.
I didn't go back to work for money in the beginning.
I went back because mat leave doesn't pay into your health benefits or pension.
Also my ex claimed in court that I wouldn't go back.
I would take my mat leave and then quit work.
He argued it wasn't in the kids' best interest because I'd lose my house.
He said the court should act early to prevent that change in the kids' lives.
That's why I went back when she was only six months.

It's all such BS. I blame systems.

As for what you're suggesting would it be the same for single dads?

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2023, 10:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It's all such BS. I blame systems.

I blame the general population.

IsabellaLinton wrote:
As for what you're suggesting would it be the same for single dads?

For example, if a mother dies during birth, then of course the father should be supported in the same manner as the single mother would've been. However there is no point even trying to get this brought into law, because more than 50% of people are opposed to it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 10:10 am

Why would the mother need to die?
Don't you have fathers there with full custody, or even part custody?
What if the parents are still together but the mother doesn't want a mat leave, or her job doesn't provide them?
Quite often it's a matter of which parent has better benefits for taking leave.

Actually I'm pretty sure dads are allowed leave here, even if the mother has one.
Shouldn't both parents bond with the baby?

In the case where they both take leave I think the father's is usually shorter but I'm not sure.
There's also the need for parental leave during oversees adoptions and all that entails.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 10:11 am

I have been in a blue-collar job where the workload was allocated badly, and two of my colleagues took full advantage of it. They were squeezing 2 half-hour tea breaks into the 4-hour morning shift, while I had to literally run everywhere and still clocked off 20 minutes late every day.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2023, 10:14 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Why would the mother need to die?

That was only one example. I did say "For example". Your examples are also valid, but it's pointless to discuss this in detail because the majority of people are opposed to it, and in a democracy, the majority rules, even if the majority are as*holes.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 1:55 pm

phosphorous decree

likewise. in my dumpsterfire "job", lot attendants push carts and loading merchandise. the supervisors, head cashiers, and managers do not micromanage. some of the lot attendants waste way too much time and energy on the phone or standing around flapping their traps. i am afraid that they are having sex with the boss and if i tattle on them, the boss will make my worthless corpse redundant. ("at will" employer). the company has video cameras, but the managers do not have access. only loss prevention has access to the videotapes, to look for illegal activity.

but i am afraid that if i quit my dumpsterfire "job" no other job will ever make the mistake of hiring my worthless corpse again. plenty of jobs have had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant. between autism, zero job skills, socially awkward, emotionally fragile, and bad work history, it makes it hard to get a job. actually i was pretty surprised that the current job even hired my worthless corpse. and when other jobs hired me, they soon fired me.

likewise, other jobs have other bad things about them, and there is (sometimes) no way to know what the bad things will be, until you get there. Glass Door is better than nothing, but every experience is different.

other jobs have their own bad coworkers. especially blue collar, minimum wage, unskilled, restaurant retail sales, dumpsterfire "jobs" that hire *convicted felons*, such as the company that my worthless corpse has been enslaved at, for two years and ten months and counting.