Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2023, 1:05 pm

I've tried to send pms to a couple people before but they don't show up in my "sent" folder after, and I haven't gotten replies, so I don't know if they actually went through

I'm able to reply to people who send me pms, I just can't figure out how to send them myself

I'm on mobile, if that makes a difference

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2023, 1:41 pm

PMs stay in the outbox until they are read. Then they go into the sent folder.

Many members are waiting until things get back to normal around here to log into their accounts.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2023, 1:51 pm

141414 wrote:
PMs stay in the outbox until they are read. Then they go into the sent folder.

Many members are waiting until things get back to normal around here to log into their accounts.

They aren't in my outbox either

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm

From a different thread but maybe useful:

Cornflake wrote:
I can't think what happened with those other PMs - the only way that would normally happen is if they weren't actually sent.

A local network issue might have caused problems because the mailboxes reside on the WP server.
If the connection between your friend and the server dropped briefly as the PMs were sent I guess they could vanish as a result and not appear in their outbox or sent messages - but that would need some pretty specific timing and doesn't factor in any automatic retries, typically made on network errors.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2023, 4:13 pm

Thank you, I figured it out

I didn't realize that when you first click submit it just takes you to a preview of your message, and you have to click submit a second time

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2023, 8:47 am

So I have a related question for anybody. How do you know someone has sent you a PM?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Jun 2023, 1:11 pm

You can either manually click on the "new messages" link at the top of any page, next to the Log Out button (it will showing zero or the number of unread PMs waiting for you) - or, click on the My Account link next to it and have the system tell you as one arrives.

That's: My Account -> Board Preferences and in there, select "yes" the "Notify me on new private messages" option - and the other stuff there, as you please.

I think it's active by default so maybe no-one's sent a PM yet. :wink: