Dealing with burnout from work and largely masking

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Castersuger123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2023, 3:45 am

Hi everyone this is my first post on here I figured it would be good to try a forum where neurodivergents can talk and even vent a little. I’m a high functioning autistic adult and I’m a big history nerd as many people iv info dumbed on can agree. So I took that interest and used it to find a job I was suited for as it turns out weirdly enough that job ended up being tour guiding in very good at the job but lately I’m feeling burnt out I am liked by the staff but I mask every day I work which is 3 days a week and I am feeling the effects of being burnt out more and more these days but unfortunately it’s summer and the busy season and it’s impossible to get a holiday and more and more I’m dreading the exhaustion from work emotionally. I’m not sure what too do I don’t want to quit as I’m good at the job.

Any advice or even discussion welcome

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 4:28 am

I don't know what to say except try to relax and enjoy it.

Really speaking, long term rest is needed.

Spectat
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2023, 3:21 pm

I've had the same issues. What worked for me was meditation and breath work. I do it in the mornings, on my lunch break, and in the evening. I find somewhere comfortable and quiet, and just silence my mind, and try to just exist in space. It's like releasing a pressure valve. It's not perfect, but it helps me a lot.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 1:51 pm

I'm having the same issue I think, I work 5 days a week at a grocery store and have for 4 1/2 years now. Lately I'm seriously hating people and honestly dread dealing with customers, even nice ones (which most of them are).
For me, I'm trying to take a mini vacation every 3 or so months. 4 or 5 days of no socializing and resting and relaxing. My therapist and I decided that is worth trying to see if it improves my work performance and keeps me from getting burnt out as bad.

I had some really bad burnout earlier this year, when my store was doing a remodel. All the extra noise and activity had me in constant sensory overload, and I was exhausted all the time. Even sitting at my desk at home was exhausting. I had to sleep a lot.
I did give myself a lot of extra rest and stuff where possible, and asked for official work accommodations such as extra breaks when needed.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 2:07 pm

I found it helpful to find activities that provide a "mental reset."
Playing a 9 hole round of golf on morning on Wednesday mornings to be very effective.
Gardening can also provide that respite.

Working on puzzles may be a more practical option.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 1:38 pm

For me, i have to stay at home and do nothing or sleep during weekends, and even then i can't get enough rest.

If i do a social activity on the weekends i am basically like sleepwalking during the week.