What people want from a friend! A revelation!

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:16 am

I had a revelation today, because one of my email friends was annoying me:

Everyone has so many problems these days, they do not want difficult friends as well. They want fun friends, who make them feel better, and lighten their lives. That’s what people want. So we should save our troubles for our journals or therapy.

I know friends are supposed to be people you confide in but these days I don't think that's what people want. Life is so hard, they want a break from that and to have fun times.

What do you think, folks?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:21 am

Partally true.

There is a difference between leveling with someone and leveling someone.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:23 am

I think people also want friends who will share their anger. If they're angry about something and you let on that you're angry about the same thing, they'll welcome your friendship.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:26 am

Fenn wrote:
Partally true.

There is a difference between leveling with someone and leveling someone.

What? Sorry, I don't know what that means.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:26 am

That is true. People often get fed up with doom and misery all the time. Humans don't have the obligation to be empathetic all the time. When my mother was dying of cancer she had good friends who listened and understood how frightening and awful it is, but because they weren't going through it themselves there was only so much comfort they could offer, because they had their busy lives to worry about too. So one of her friends fixed her up with her sister who also had cancer, so my mother felt much more empathised with when talking to another person with cancer, as once you have cancer that can't be cured nothing else in life seems problematic any more, your focus is just on your illness. It actually made my mother feel more reassured, as being around non-cancer people made her feel more isolated and depressed. I understand that.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:27 am

I think it's a balancing act. If someone only complains/vents/leans on all the time, they become a burden and someone others do not want to interact with (because one sided friendships suck). They need to also listen, support, so on in return. That sort of thing will build bonds and strengthen relationships. People like to not only know they have someone they can turn to, but people also like to feel needed/helpful. Give and take, right?

Though I do think it depends on if you mean casual or more 'real' friendships. In casual things, yeah, it's best to not complain much and keep things light and easy.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:28 am

MaxE wrote:
I think people also want friends who will share their anger. If they're angry about something and you let on that you're angry about the same thing, they'll welcome your friendship.

You could be right. Although it just makes me think of social media when people get into pile-ons attacking someone they disagree with.

I think people want friends who will take their side too. Nothing annoys me more than when I'm having a problem with another person, yet my 'friend' sides with that other person even if they don't even know them. That is maddening.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
That is true. People often get fed up with doom and misery all the time. Humans don't have the obligation to be empathetic all the time. When my mother was dying of cancer she had good friends who listened and understood how frightening and awful it is, but because they weren't going through it themselves there was only so much comfort they could offer, because they had their busy lives to worry about too. So one of her friends fixed her up with her sister who also had cancer, so my mother felt much more empathised with when talking to another person with cancer, as once you have cancer that can't be cured nothing else in life seems problematic any more, your focus is just on your illness. It actually made my mother feel more reassured, as being around non-cancer people made her feel more isolated and depressed. I understand that.

That is an excellent point.

Although when my daughter was terribly ill I felt terribly isolated even though I was surrounded with lots of other mothers with little kids.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:30 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I think it's a balancing act. If someone only complains/vents/leans on all the time, they become a burden and someone others do not want to interact with (because one sided friendships suck). They need to also listen, support, so on in return. That sort of thing will build bonds and strengthen relationships. People like to not only know they have someone they can turn to, but people also like to feel needed/helpful. Give and take, right?

Though I do think it depends on if you mean casual or more 'real' friendships. In casual things, yeah, it's best to not complain much and keep things light and easy.

I think I've learned that it's best to be a fun friend AT FIRST then gradually segue into needing/providing support. Don't start with needing support, start with the fun stuff.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:34 am

I have one or two internet friends who neither of us ask how each other are or anything, we just email each other whenever we want to vent about something in our lives. Our friendships just work without having to keep asking each other how we are or how's our job going, etc. We don't even say hi, we just email each other a paragraph of woe and the other will email back a supporting reply. Some friendships work like that and I don't mind at all. They don't have to keep wanting updates of my life all the time, they're welcome to just be themselves and vent. That, or we keep each other updated with gossip.
But no pressure whatsoever.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:50 am

KitLily wrote:
I had a revelation today, because one of my email friends was annoying me:

Everyone has so many problems these days, they do not want difficult friends as well. They want fun friends, who make them feel better, and lighten their lives. That’s what people want. So we should save our troubles for our journals or therapy.

I know friends are supposed to be people you confide in but these days I don't think that's what people want. Life is so hard, they want a break from that and to have fun times.

What do you think, folks?

Yes I think I've said this before. I just like people who I can go out with and have a laugh. I'm not interested in caring and sharing. All the friends I've had in the last 10 years have been for the purpose of just getting drunk with and dicking about. If I want a long conversation about how f*****g damaged I am then I'll phone the samaritans.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
I have one or two internet friends who neither of us ask how each other are or anything,

I suppose the thing is, we need different friends for different aspects of ourselves. I think it's probably better to start off being the positive friend though.

But having no friends at all is lonely.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:51 am

babybird wrote:
Yes I think I've said this before. I just like people who I can go out with and have a laugh. I'm not interested in caring and sharing. All the friends I've had in the last 10 years have been for the purpose of just getting drunk with and dicking about. If I want a long conversation about how f*****g damaged I am then I'll phone the samaritans.

Yes you have said it before and I think you are somewhat right :)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:07 am

KitLily wrote:
FleaOfTheChill wrote:

I think I've learned that it's best to be a fun friend AT FIRST then gradually segue into needing/providing support. Don't start with needing support, start with the fun stuff.

This is something I find hard because I'm rarely very comfortable with people 'at first'. It takes multiple exposures for me to warm up to people and by that time most have concluded that I'm aloof, or arrogant or just plain odd.

That's why I did better socially in school, or when I worked in offices, people were exposed to me long enough for my eccentricities to become amusing, rather than off-putting!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
This is something I find hard because I'm rarely very comfortable with people 'at first'. It takes multiple exposures for me to warm up to people and by that time most have concluded that I'm aloof, or arrogant or just plain odd.

That's why I did better socially in school, or when I worked in offices, people were exposed to me long enough for my eccentricities to become amusing, rather than off-putting!

I hear you loud and clear there, buddy. I am exactly the same, hence I have no friends. People don't want an autistic introvert, they want an NT extrovert as a friend :roll:

I am just thinking that I'll keep my problems to myself when I try to make friends, that's what I mean by being a fun friend in my case. It's all topsy turvy isn't it.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:06 pm

I think it highly depends. There are the more casual friendships - the lighthearted sort. However, there's also the friendships which I refer to as 'high emotional investment'.

My friends typically ask if it's OK to vent or if they can ask for advice before doing so. If I'm in a bad mental state or simply too tired, then I explain that I'm not up to it.

Sometimes my friends want advice. Or simply for me to listen. Then there are times where they want to go do something fun instead for a moment whilst they process.

Admittedly there are also times where I don't know what to suggest, because the situation being described is so complex that I wish I had a flowchart or something just to keep up.