Sister threatening to sell house

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 6:59 am

My sister inherited a house from our parents a couple years ago and I have been living in it

My sister lives with her family about half hour drive away

A couple times she told me that she wanted to sell the house and get me an apartment. I asked her not to do that and she has not sold it thus far.

Last week the neighbors dogs got in my backyard and I emailed her about it because I am afraid of knocking on their door because some dogs in their front yard. A couple of years ago, some other dogs but me. Afraid of dogs. My sister emailed me back that she would look for an apartment for me because somewhere without dogs might be more peaceful. I said please don't look for an apartment for me because anyone could own dogs and anyone could get dogs any day. There are worse problems than dogs. Besides I am afraid that if I move I will end up homeless

I don't earn enough cash to get my own apartment and I am tired all the time and can barely handle one job. I don't have the job skills to earn above minimum wage. Also my job is not even stable. "At will" employer. The company could fire me any day. My job is a dime a dozen.

Nobody is going to live with me or anything like that. Zero "friends"

She is a physician and her husband is a software engineer. They earn a lot more cash than me and they earn a lot of cash period.

I work retail at minimum wage and plenty of jobs had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant

When the current job fires me I have zero occupational prospects. Autism and clinical depression. Zero job skills

Feel so fragile and vulnerable

However plenty of people earn minimum wage and not all of them are homeless

Plenty of people, such as my coworkers, earn minimum wage, drive cars, have kids and pay rent. How do they do it?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 8:20 am

I don't know what your sister's plans are, but if she says she is "getting you an apartment," does that mean she will pay for it? Could you bring that up with her? She could also buy a condo with the proceeds from selling the house and let you live there rent-free, or pay her a small amount of rent that you could afford? (I have a friend who has this exact arrangement with his sister. She bought a condo which he rents from her. He pays rent but if he can't sometimes, his sister is not going to evict him. And he's not ASD or disabled, just a bit eccentric.)

Also, there are buildings that don't allow pets.

Can you talk with your sister and let her know your concerns and wishes and work something out? Surely she knows that some things are hard for you.

As far as your co-workers, they are probably in debt or have someone helping them pay for things.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 1:22 pm

She was left the house and you ~nothing ? :? Not cash, or a portion of the house, or any significant inheritance? If so, have you considered contesting the will? People do that from time to time and are then given their fair share if it was wrongfully withheld from them.

Perhaps there's more to the story you haven't shared.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 4:08 pm

In my experience, it is not uncommon for parents to leave everything to the nondisabled child with the idea that the nondisabled child will look out after the needs of the disabled child.

Again, in my experience, this rarely works out well for the disabled child. Especially in regards to housing.

My guess is there are expenses the NDC is paying on the house: taxes, repairs, etc., that she would rather not pay. Better for her to get them into an apartment and get rid of the house.

If it is true, SFBUM, that this is the family home, you might consider using that as part of your argument. Also that autists don’t like change. Changing your home could set you off into a tailspin from which you might never recover. You might even have to go live with her. That usually gets people’s attention. Also. Wouldn’t an apartment put you in closer contact with other people? She might have to intervene even more due to conflicts with neighbors. Marshall your talking points.

SFBUM, I am sorry she is doing this to you. I hope you can work it out so you can stay in your home.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 4:20 pm

^ "Also that autists don’t like change. Changing your home could set you off into a tailspin from which you might never recover." ^

this is literally me. My sister has broken me nearly beyond "repair", by moving the entire household every year or two, for the past decade. And now she is talking of doing it again.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 5:51 pm

Do you live alone in the house?

Do you pay rent to your sister, or utilities?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 7:58 pm

Rse

I live alone in the house

I don't pay rent, just utilities

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:18 am

Get a lawyer.Most will hear your case for free and tell you your options.Work out a payment plan with the lawyer.
Good luck.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:25 am

Misslizard wrote:
Get a lawyer.Most will hear your case for free and tell you your options.Work out a payment plan with the lawyer.
Good luck.

What's a lawyer going to do besides cost money?

The house belongs to their sister.. who is allowed to sell it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Good luck.

https://www.buffingtonlawfirm.com/artic ... alifornia/

According to the above article, there are only four situations where someone could contest a will. My situation does not fall into any of the examples.

"However, the state’s probate code specifically notes that if a trust or will has already been admitted to probate, there is a 120-day window in which the objection must be filed."

the 120 day window expired a long time ago.

my sister has a legal right to sell the house.

my worthless corpse does not have a "right to live". my worthless corpse does not have a "right" to keep the house.

the only "right" my worthless corpse has: the legal "right" to remain silent.

Plenty of people earn only minimum wage. Some of them pay for rent, kids, tuition, and cars. How do they afford it? My worthless corpse has zero kids, zero debt, zero tuition, zero cars. Thus far, my worthless corpse has only been paying for groceries and utilities (and things like that), not rent. My worthless corpse is paranoid that if my sister sells the house, somewhere along the line, I will end up homeless.

There is nobody that will lemmie live with them, not even for a couple of days. Zero "friends".

passive income: dividends, interests, capital gains, royalties. investing in the stock market. seems like it takes too much research (energy, work). don't really want to do it.

https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-c ... i-Cal.aspx

$20,121 year, income limit, Medi-Cal. Last year (2022), my worthless corpse earned $29000. Every time I go to the health clinic, the receptionist asks if your address and phone number are current. They do not ask if you have an address or phone number. The clinic has a parking lot. They did not just decide that they do not need a "patient" parking lot, b/c anyone under the income limit would be hard pressed to afford a car, except if it was someone else's car, or whatever.

I do not have enough energy for a second job. Exhausted all the time.

I do not have enough job skills to earn more cash. (Not to say that everyone that earns a living wage has job skills. Plenty of K-2 schoolteachers and psychologists, appeared, to be, to have negligible job skills, at best.)

section eight housing

single

homeless shelter: dangerous, loud, crowded, sometimes they are full and they don't allow anyone else

homeless

live in an airport

live in a monastery

Constantly feel like gorging.

My worthless corpse has been wounded. Traumatized.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 6:16 pm

Your sister is threatening to sell the house because she doesn't want to be drawn into the drama between you and your neighbor. (nothing she can really do anyway) Stop bothering her about it and she'll stop threatening you. The proper agency to call is Animal Control in your area. Let them deal with the dogs and the neighbors - problem solved.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 6:29 pm

I hope that if you can stay quiet about your problems your sister will let the matter drop.

Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to apply for section 8 housing. Typically, there is a wait list. Sometimes they even cut off getting onto the wait list. You have to be persistent. But, the years do roll by and I know many people living successfully with Section 8 vouchers.

Is your disability documented? I ask because that does increase the success rate of getting section 8, and other benefits. Sometimes the wait list for people who are disabled is shorter.

I give you a lot of credit for working as hard as you do, over the years I’ve been on WP.

And, you are not worthless. :heart:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 6:36 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Good luck.

My legal aid lawyer didn’t cost me a penny.There are options for free legal advice for low income people.
Nothing wrong with free advice.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 7:36 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I hope that if you can stay quiet about your problems your sister will let the matter drop.

Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to apply for section 8 housing. Typically, there is a wait list. Sometimes they even cut off getting onto the wait list. You have to be persistent. But, the years do roll by and I know many people living successfully with Section 8 vouchers.

Is your disability documented? I ask because that does increase the success rate of getting section 8, and other benefits. Sometimes the wait list for people who are disabled is shorter.

I give you a lot of credit for working as hard as you do, over the years I’ve been on WP.

And, you are not worthless. :heart:

autism officially diagnosed. documented. age 21. (right now, 40).

i just looked up the website for section eight housing. according to the article, i exceed the income limit to apply for section eight housing. gross income and net income.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm

Have you asked your sister if she has any plans of purchasing a different type of housing for you to live in/rent? Or let her know that you fear you’ll be homeless if she sells the house ?

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2023, 10:46 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
My sister inherited a house from our parents a couple years ago and I have been living in it

My sister lives with her family about half hour drive away

A couple times she told me that she wanted to sell the house and get me an apartment. I asked her not to do that and she has not sold it thus far.

Last week the neighbors dogs got in my backyard and I emailed her about it because I am afraid of knocking on their door because some dogs in their front yard. A couple of years ago, some other dogs but me. Afraid of dogs. My sister emailed me back that she would look for an apartment for me because somewhere without dogs might be more peaceful. I said please don't look for an apartment for me because anyone could own dogs and anyone could get dogs
any day. There are worse problems than dogs. Besides I am afraid that if I move I will end up homeless

I don't earn enough cash to get my own apartment and I am tired all the time and can barely handle one job. I don't have the job skills to earn above minimum wage. Also my job is not even stable. "At will" employer. The company could fire me any day. My job is a dime a dozen.

Nobody is going to live with me or anything like that. Zero "friends"

She is a physician and her husband is a software engineer. They earn a lot more cash than me and they earn a lot of cash period.

I work retail at minimum wage and plenty of jobs had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant

When the current job fires me I have zero occupational prospects. Autism and clinical depression. Zero job skills

Feel so fragile and vulnerable

However plenty of people earn minimum wage and not all of them are homeless

Plenty of people, such as my coworkers, earn minimum wage, drive cars, have kids and pay rent. How do they do it?

A lot of people who work in the retail/service sector rely on public assistance to pay the bills. Many employers even give food assistance forms with job applications. The level of public assistance you get and how long you have to be in the waiting list may depend on where you live. You likely meet any work requirements for food assistance. None of this is ideal, but could be plan B for staying on your feet.