Have you ever done a gallery exhibition?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2023, 4:26 pm

What was it like?

I'm applying for one in about a week and I hope I get accepted. It would be so exciting to share my work publicly, and I'd like to have something for my CV so I can apply for residencies and grants (and more gallery shows).

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 1:57 am

oh wow that would be really neat. i hope you are able to display your art.
a residency sounds really awesome too. id love to be able to do that.

ive never displayed my art in a gallery. two of my aunts are professional artists and have their art in local galleries.
they seem to enjoy that. they sell prints of their work at the gallery also.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2023, 2:12 am

Winters Gate wrote:
oh wow that would be really neat. i hope you are able to display your art.
a residency sounds really awesome too. id love to be able to do that.

ive never displayed my art in a gallery. two of my aunts are professional artists and have their art in local galleries.
they seem to enjoy that. they sell prints of their work at the gallery also.

That's cool to have two relatives with experience showing in galleries! Maybe they can give you advice if you ever decide to try.

There's an annual residency in Japan that a friend and I want to apply for next year, it would be for three months with studio space, living space, supplies, and pay. It would be so exciting!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 3:05 am

I have helped set up a few, but never had one of my own.  They can be fun, if you are not too invested in the art.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2023, 12:02 am

Fnord wrote:
I have helped set up a few, but never had one of my own.  They can be fun, if you are not too invested in the art.

That's cool! In what way is it more fun if you're not too invested in the art? Does that help make it less stressful?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 3:40 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That's cool! In what way is it more fun if you're not too invested in the art? Does that help make it less stressful?
I never had to deal directly with the art critics (who had their own columns in the local papers) and the art snobs (who had nothing but their own egos to display) -- only the artists themselves, most of whom were happy to just have their art on display.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2023, 5:00 am

Fnord wrote:
I never had to deal directly with the art critics (who had their own columns in the local papers) and the art snobs (who had nothing but their own egos to display) -- only the artists themselves, most of whom were happy to just have their art on display.

Oh interesting, I never considered critics! Luckily this is a small gallery and they're specifically looking for emerging artists for this exhibition, so I don't think people will be too harsh (hopefully).

My art is one of the few things in my life that I feel very confident about, but I think that's because when I was growing up I consistently got a lot of positive feedback for it. Things might be different when showing it in a public setting. I should try to emotionally prepare for the possibility of people having a more negative response to my work

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 5:10 am

I've exhibited in a cafe which was fun and in an arts center which got really messy. The organisers were a couple with funny boundaries who threw a big party for the opening. Weird, confused vibes and debauchery :lol:

Good luck :D

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2023, 5:18 am

domineekee wrote:
I've exhibited in a cafe which was fun and in an arts center which got really messy. The organisers were a couple with funny boundaries who threw a big party for the opening. Weird, confused vibes and debauchery :lol:

That would be so much fun! I've been to a few kink clubs in the past, it sounds like a similar atmosphere.

What kind of art do you make? Did those venues put out a call for submissions or did you just go to them and ask to show your work?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 5:29 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
domineekee wrote:

That would be so much fun! I've been to a few kink clubs in the past, it sounds like a similar atmosphere.

What kind of art do you make? Did those venues put out a call for submissions or did you just go to them and ask to show your work?

Yes, well, it could have been very fun but the couple worked on cornering me and my partner separately. I found myself backed into a broom cupboard with her while my GF was being propositioned by him elsewhere. The opening party turned into a very boozy dub step thing. At the end we had to all escape out of a window because there was some skinhead dim wit outside, stalking his ex, who was inside.
:lol:

I was doing abstract oil paintings at the time

I had another exhibition elsewhere. 3 paintings. The gallery framed them, bought one, gave the other two back. Can't complain.

Feels much like doing music live, there's a huge ego kick that you either go along with and behave like a dick, or somehow sublimate into more creativity.

GOOD LUCK!

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2023, 5:35 am

domineekee wrote:

Yes, well, it could have been very fun but the couple worked on cornering me and my partner separately. I found myself backed into a broom cupboard with her while my GF was being propositioned by him elsewhere. The opening party turned into a very boozy dub step thing. At the end we had to all escape out of a window because there was some skinhead dim wit outside, stalking his ex, who was inside.
:lol:

I was doing abstract oil paintings at the time

I had another exhibition elsewhere. 3 paintings. The gallery framed them, bought one, gave the other two back. Can't complain.

Feels much like doing music live, there's a huge ego kick that you either go along with and behave like a dick, or somehow sublimate into more creativity.

GOOD LUCK!

Yikes that sounds gross and terrifying, sorry that happened to you.

The art world sounds like a very mixed bag, depending on where you end up

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 7:00 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
The art world sounds like a very mixed bag, depending on where you end up

Yes, if you pick wisely it should be all good. Tell us how you get on!

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2023, 1:04 am

I just submitted my application! It was pretty anxiety inducing trying to get everything finished on time. The only mistake is made was the images I sent were much larger than the file size limit they specified (but by the time I noticed I didn't have time to change them). I hope that's not a deal breaker, because I think it was a good submission otherwise

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 3:04 pm

Good luck, I hope you get it!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 3:10 pm

I've organised several art installations and exhibitions, and worked with galleries for my work.

Good luck! You must be really excited to apply.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2023, 9:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've organised several art installations and exhibitions, and worked with galleries for my work.

Good luck! You must be really excited to apply.

What kind of work do you make? When setting up installations in a gallery, how much of the setting up is usually done by the artist, and does the gallery usually have a crew to help them install?

Thank you! I'm very excited. Even if this application doesn't get accepted, now I have a better idea of how to apply for these things in the future, as well as some good written materials and photos prepared for next time