Alcohol addiction is ruining my life,

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 4:43 am

Last night I must have drunk 12 pints of bud lights (3.5 percent abv) if you want me to be brutally honest. I lashed out verbally at this guy I know as well because he said I had black circles under my eyes.

I feel ashamed of my drinking habits even though I only got out drinking once or twice a week. What can I do about this? because I feel alcohol addiction is destroying my life. :cry:

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 4:52 am

When I was in my 30s I went out six nights a week. It wasn’t alcohol addiction… I’ve had long periods of being abstinent. With me it was FIMO (fear of missing out). I’ve read enough of your posts to suspect you might be a FIMO guy rather then a drunk. After a bit of self-examination I realised I wasn’t missing out on anything… it was just the same old grind, so I stopped.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 5:02 am

Jamesy wrote:
Last night I must have drunk 12 pints of bud lights (3.5 percent abv) if you want me to be brutally honest. I lashed out verbally at this guy I know as well because he said I had black circles under my eyes.

I feel ashamed of my drinking habits even though I only got out drinking once or twice a week. What can I do about this? because I feel alcohol addiction is destroying my life. :cry:

If its making you aggressive then maybe you should consider at least cutting down.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 5:04 am

babybird wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

If its making you aggressive then maybe you should consider at least cutting down.

Usually it doesn't make me agressive but that guy has insulted me before and I guess I just lost it.

WilliamK1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2023, 5:05 am

Jamesy wrote:

My alcohol addiction had more to do trying to enjoy whats left of my weird distorted life and mellow out as well usually after work, coming home from watching a soccer match or when im feeling particulary unhappy enough to turn to the bottle.

Just like how ex-smokers to used to smoke actually enjoyed smoking, it was like that for me slightly even though alcohol did often make me more unhappy too. I like the taste and buzz of cold Fosters beer, Sweetened wines, Baileys irish cream/irish meadow, cocktails even though it wasn't really good for me. I want to say I've put that life behind me.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 5:09 am

WilliamK1997 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

My alcohol addiction had more to do trying to enjoy whats left of my weird distorted life and mellow out as well usually after work, coming home from watching a soccer match or when im feeling particulary unhappy enough to turn to the bottle.

Just like how ex-smokers to used to smoke actually enjoyed smoking, it was like that for me slightly even though alcohol did often make me more unhappy too. I like the taste and buzz of cold Fosters beer, Sweetened wines, Baileys irish cream/irish meadow, cocktails even though it wasn't really good for me. I want to say I've put that life behind me.

Is having 12 pints of 3.5 percent beer a ridiculous amount

WilliamK1997

02 Jul 2023, 5:16 am

Jamesy wrote:
WilliamK1997 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Definitely but I'm not innocent here either. you gotta stop or cut down

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 5:22 am

WilliamK1997 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
WilliamK1997 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Tried to cut down but don't really know how to?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 5:52 am

Why not go out with the idea of trying out new non-alcoholic drinks. Gamify it. Have a beer you like, but then make the next drink a new one you haven't tried before. The fentimens ginger beers and lemonades are really nice. There's all sorts of flavours of J20. Try a micktail.

I'm not sure if you like the routine of the beers and trying new things is a nightmare, but I like to try something different each time I'm out.

Edit: Mocktail. Have a Micktail if you can find one lol, but you're more likely to find a mock tail.

Last edited by hurtloam on 02 Jul 2023, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 5:56 am

hurtloam wrote:
Why not go out with the idea of trying out new non-alcoholic drinks. Gamify it. Have a beer you like, but then make the next drink a new one you haven't tried before. The fentimens ginger beers and lemonades are really nice. There's all sorts of flavours of J20. Try a micktail.

I'm not sure if you like the routine of the beers and trying new things is a nightmare, but I like to try something different each time I'm out.

What's a good pace to make a pint last for? Last night I made my first few pints last 30 mins each but I am not sure if that's to fast?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:13 am

I genuinely don't know. I very rarely have more than 2 beers. I find the taste quite strong. I'm a pale ale drinker and even that's a bit strong tasting for me.

I'm also very stingy. Alcohol is expensive and I try and make my drinks last as long as possible.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:15 am

hurtloam wrote:
I genuinely don't know. I very rarely have more than 2 beers. I find the taste quite strong. I'm a pale ale drinker and even that's a bit strong tasting for me.

I'm also very stingy. Alcohol is expensive and I try and make my drinks last as long as possible.

Off topic but someone I knew last night said I had black circles under my eyes. I know tiredness can cause that but what do you think?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:39 am

Jamesy wrote:
WilliamK1997 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
WilliamK1997 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Tried to cut down but don't really know how to?

Try going out a bit later in the evening. You might be going out too early if you have enough time to down 12 pints.

I went out on Friday night at about 5:30 and had 3 pints and 2 large glasses of wine and left the pub at 10:30 ish. I don't drink slowly either.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:43 am

I went out 2 in afternoon yesterday.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 7:22 am

OK

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jul 2023, 7:47 pm

I have no personal experience with alcohol addiction but I've known some alcoholics. If your think you have an addiction James, it might help to look at the problem from the angle of it being an addiction. There are ways to treat alcohol addiction like counseling, alcoholics anonymous groups, & some psych meds. If you have a regular doc or psych, I would recommend talking to them about your drinking issues. You seem to be a social drinker so I would recommend trying some AA meetings if that's an option in your area. That way you would have a supportive group atmosphere. It would be somewhere to go & spend time with people instead of going to the bar every week. I think it might also be helpful to try & work on your mental health more. Perhaps there's some other types of support groups in your area for some issues that you might have like autism, anxiety, or depression. Counseling might could help you as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition