Won't go to a social club where other autistic people meet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2023, 12:01 pm

I seem to feel like I went to or was persuaded to see what these places were like where other people with autism or asperger's syndrome meet like one I went to set up by the Autistic Trust but I didn't feel I fitted in or wanted to be there. The same thing happened again with me when my dad got me to go a check another similar place but there more people there with other mental and physical disabilities like down syndrome and were there playing games and other activities but again I felt like I don't belong here and felt like not wanting to be there because I seem more social than the rest of them there and always seem to think the staff at these places treat the people there like children even though they probably have to for some of them because they are non-verbal, and still have the mindsets of children.

It does make me feel bad for not wanting to interact with them and I seem to feel like these are the only places available if you are someone like me with few friends and doesn't go out often to a lot of a places on a weekend which I don't seem to see a lot of autistic people at like a busy bar or pub. I maybe wrong but I obviously can't tell because I see more neurotypical or ''normal'' people in there. I always aspired to want to be in a social environment with more NT people but it seems like the places that are available for that are obviously in pubs, nightclubs, etc, places which as I said I don't really go to.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2023, 9:17 pm

Maybe what you need is a group of autistic people with whom you have more in common than just autism?

What are your interests/hobbies, if any?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 6:40 pm

Social clubs for people with Autism often have a wide variety of people, from all across the spectrum, so if there are a bunch of people who are for lack of a better term 'lesser functioning' - that isn't really much of a surprise.

It's hard being in the middle. Not being quite severely socially restricted enough to enjoy a social club for Autistic folk in general, but not socially adept enough to casually blend in with NT's.

I think a lot of high functioning Autistic people will understand your predicament.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 6:53 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
. . . It's hard being in the middle. Not being quite severely socially restricted enough to enjoy a social club for Autistic folk in general, but not socially adept enough to casually blend in with NT's.

I think a lot of high functioning Autistic people will understand your predicament.
Hear!  Hear!

Some of the autistic people with whom I have regular contact need constant monitoring and supervision.  Most of the neurotypical people with whom I have regular contact seem uninterested in D&D, Ham Radio, or Astronomy.

Blending in has always been a problem for me, although progressively less as I have grown older.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 4:49 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Social clubs for people with Autism often have a wide variety of people, from all across the spectrum, so if there are a bunch of people who are for lack of a better term 'lesser functioning' - that isn't really much of a surprise.

It's hard being in the middle. Not being quite severely socially restricted enough to enjoy a social club for Autistic folk in general, but not socially adept enough to casually blend in with NT's.

A focus on a shared interest can go a long way toward making it possible for autistic people of a variety of autistic traits/levels to be able to enjoy each other's company.

Unfortunately, the organized autistic community still isn't big enough to have very many highly specialized groups of the kinds that we need.