Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Lackingincaffeine
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2023, 3:30 pm

Hi. I poked around here a some years ago, and now back again, having been given a date for my lad's assessment.

Will anything change if they decide he's autistic?
Will he get any help if they decide he's not?

It feels a bit like we're closing the gates when the horse has already bolted. I'm knackered. Perpetually. Spend so much of my life trying to help him sort his out. Being not only a parent but trying to be a teacher, a friend, a mentor, an advocate... Not necessarily succeeding, but trying.

When he was at school they wanted him to be diagnosed with something - I'm not entirely sure why, as apparently education / adjustments etc are based on needs and nothing more. He's still of school age (just about) but no longer there.

I don't even know why we're doing this any more, other than it's a process that has begun, and it might as well continue.

Can we expect to gain anything from this (other than certainty, or else uncertainty)?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 3:35 pm

it has been my experience, that more information is generally better than less information, all things considered. i can tell you that if i knew this information when i was your son's age it would have helped me, at least.

Lackingincaffeine
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2023, 4:04 pm

Thank you. I suppose information is better than none (as little as it might be). I just hope that it brings more enlightenment than just a yes or no.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 4:49 pm

for me it was the start of a long journey that i'm still on. meeting other aspies was a BIG HELP for me, it changed the trajectory of my life.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 6:27 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 9:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

And he will be the same before and after any diagnosis.

A formal diagnosis just provides confirmation of suspicions, and—if necessary—documentation of need for treatment and accommodations.

But he will be the same before and after any diagnosis.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2023, 12:15 am

probably

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2023, 3:15 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2023, 4:27 pm

testing can reveal surprising things about his challenges in life. For many struggles there are various forms of therapy, and sometimes other help available too. Much will depend on his individual neurology and also on the place where you live. Some countries provide more support than others, some locations within any country may have better resources, etc.

The most important thing is to let him know you are with him and cheering him on, and that you will be there for him as he faces these things in his life.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 12:57 pm

I do not know if I can help you. There are many people on this site with various forms of autism. Mine is one of them. I have Asperger's Syndrome. But even among Aspies, I am very unique. I have been able to harness my deficit and turn it into a skill. It is rather simple in fact. You see as a child, I received a Muppet and learned to use it. It allowed my brain to develop a very interesting skill set.