Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 6:25 pm

Ive finally had an epiphany and realized that all the shorts and bottoms that I wear that bother me the most are in the denim family. So, I now know that I probably just can't wear denim at all because it's not breathable enough and even if it was a little bit loose the fabric is too hard for my skin and isn't soft enough because i'm hypersensitive to those type of fabric materials. Took me long enough to figure it out. Does anyone know what denim is made up out of that makes it feel so hard because to me it feels like i'm having sandpaper rubbed up and down my thighs and legs.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 7:56 pm

Denim is made from cotton, but the threads are twice (or even more) as thick as most fabrics and those treads are woven on the diagonal to produce a tough, durable fabric. It was originally made only for heavy-duty work clothes as it can take a lot of abuse and stand up to multiple washings. In other words not something to be worn next to the skin. It was the fashion and movie industries that made it popular to wear jeans (for both men and women) as everyday clothing.

It feels like sandpaper because its such a coarse fabric - by design. If you look at denim jeans and jackets, the seems are extra wide and double stitched as well.

If that sort of texture bothers you, stay away from Denim, Twill, Canvas, and Cotton Duck fabrics as those are all made in a similar way.

You might find modern "stretch" and "skinny" jeans softer and more comfortable to wear as they aren't actually denim and are softer. You can also look for Knit fabrics vs woven...they will also be softer.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 9:49 pm

When I was very young I was unhappy wearing *blue jeans*. As best as I can remember, however, it was not the fabric...it was the reinforced seam on the legs. The seam caused the pant legs to resist bending when I bent my legs.

Oh...and everyone wears *blue jeans* so I don't want to wear them...I don't want to be like everyone else.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 10:50 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and knowledge. Daniel, I have thought about looking into skinny jeans but I can't find any that are like leggings anymore and Im really trying to figure out what to do about shorts for the summer and what type of shorts should I be looking at that won't have those type of seams and that sandpaper feeling?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 10:54 pm

I just don't know what type of stores I should go to to look for the skinny jeans and shorts made out of similar material to skinny jeans/jeggings.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 11:02 pm

What fabrics should i look for then if I need to stay away from denim, twill, canvass, and cotton ducks fabrics for my pants or shorts?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 11:08 pm

When they say the number inseam on the online page for shorts or bottoms is there past a certain number inseam you shouldn't get. Is a 2.5 in inseam too much or should it be less than 3 inches or 2 inches or less?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 11:11 pm

And what type of fabric would be good to have my underwear out of so it doesn't bug me either?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 1:06 pm

I'm sorry but I cannot answer your question. But it is a common problem for those on the site. I am an Aspie and I am very sensitive to touch. On every item of clothing they put tags. These tags cause me great pain. So as a result, whenever I buy a piece of clothing, I spend time and remove the tags.

So the best answer I can give is try several different varieties and find the best material fabric that cause you no pain.

One other thing to keep in mind is that new products generally have a material or chemical applied to the material. It takes several washing to remove the material. So you may be feeling the chemicals in the fabric. So you may have to wash the material several times to be certain it is the fabric and not the chemicals used in new fabrics.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 1:30 pm

According to one website, they recommend the following:

Some of the most common skin-friendly fabrics are “cotton, linen, cashmere, silk, hemp and those made with wood pulp,”

Another fiber worth investing in is bamboo.

While there are many skin-friendly fabrics on the market, not every natural fiber is necessarily good for the skin. Some fabrics like cotton and linen can be “harmful if they are made with toxic dyes,”

denizthecat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2023, 3:51 am

Finally a topic on jeans - and the hell of wearing them.

I've felt like an alien for years because I hate jeans, while everyone else seems to love them. As kids, we'd go shopping in malls and everyone would buy jeans, and I would feel those jeans and want to run away. My whole body went on high alert. I HATE how rough the fabric feels, how tight it is now matter how big of a size you buy, I hate how rigid it is, the whole feeling, I just hate it ....

Do I own zero jeans? No ... I own pants that look like jeans, they are so soft and very flexible. It did take me years to find them and once I did, I bought 4 pairs right away, and have been wearing them for the past 6 years. The top part if like the bits they make for pregnant women so even at the top, they are very comfy.

Hating wearing socks is often mentioned about autism, but I love wearing socks. My issue has always been jeans (and uncomfortable shoes.) Now I know I'm not the only one.