Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SRSAutist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2023, 1:57 pm

Hi. I'm a new member. I'm 79 years old and always had social difficulties but never realised why until I was 50. I used to think it was the result of the other kids being mean to me when I was at school so that they wouldn't let me grow up properly. They WERE often very mean to me but I realise now that this was because of my condition and not the cause of it. When I was 50 and after a bad tormenting session by a friend's young son I went to see a counsellor to see if he could help. He listened to all my woes and then lent me a book on Asperger's and told me to go and read it. As I read it I was amazed. Over and over again I thought "that's me". It was a revelation. I've never had an official diagnosis and I don't want one. I've read various books on the subject since and they all reflect my condition. Since that revelation I have learned to understand myself much better. Autism never goes away but you can learn to live with it.

I look forward to joining the discussions on the forum.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 2:03 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 8:52 pm

Welcome to WP! Understanding is wonderful, isn't it?!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 4:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2023, 4:30 pm

welcome! it is such a relief to learn that all our struggles are really not "all our fault" after all. I got my diagnosis at age 68 and will be 72 this year. The difference diagnosis has made in my life can not be measured, but it has been tremendously helpful. Its never too late for self understanding, understanding our past, and for healing our hurts and our (often) broken hearts. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 7:38 pm

Wow, someone older then me. Welcome to Wrong Planet. It sounds like you are in the right place.
Being an Aspie can be a curse but it can also be a blessing. It provides a different frame of mind and if you learn to use that knowledge you can grow and grow and grow even at age 79.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 11:20 pm

welcome. i hope you have a good time here and make many friends