Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm

I remember watching a debate online on whether incels and AI (artificial intelligence) present a new terror threat. This terror expert believes it does present a new threat but it did kind of annoy me a little when describing individuals called incels some of which have committed mass shootings and violence towards women that there are neurodiverse and have mental conditions including autism because feel disconnected from other people but the way he was putting it across was as though these people must "all" be autistic. No one on there came to step in and say "you're wrong, not all these people are autistic and it's not really the reason why they commit these acts."
I hate the stereotyping and generalising that these people possibly all have autism to explain what they did. Far as I am aware the columbine killers were not autistic and Charles Whitman, a marine who shot over 40 people and killed 11 in 1966 in Texas wasn't autistic.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jul 2023, 4:28 pm

From what I've experienced on various forums & seen on this forum, some autistic guys do get accused of being incel because we are frustrated about being single & don't explain things right so others misunderstand our frustration as a hatred towards women. However I did not know that that there is a stereotype that all incels are autistic. On some other forums the word Autistic is a slang word for Trolling so I'm wondering if perhaps the person who said all incels are autistic really meant that all incels are like trolls :? Either way it's very concerning how words like Incel & Autistic are getting stereotyped & thrown about these days & applied to people who don't fit the official original meanings.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2023, 5:51 pm

I just find it irritating when it is assumed that most of these people are autistic when most probably were not.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 12:44 pm

I didn't know that people made that assumption. I figured the bulk of them were nt, only because most people in general are. I hope that isn't true.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 12:05 pm

Not something I didn't hear about around the internet.

Something about male autistics whining about not having a girlfriend. And the misogynistic remarks about women, or how females had it easier.

And then that thought and rants aligns with group just as frustrated with the same things.

The worst parts are to do with justifying said people's social incompetence and blame/pretend it's all autism.
That actual autistics are said to have some sort of 'pass' for being inappropriate.

Could care less about the autistic bits.

The heck do those heterosexual boys and men (assuming all are, since these are males explicitly wanting sexual female partners) were fed their heads with these days?

That's my question.
The heck all those crap are coming from?

Crap parts' origin that's oozing with toxicity and self loathing of today.
Not the establishment of the support group's origin of being 'involuntarily celibates'.

This is a question coming from an autistic aro-ace AFAB who had never dealt with anything related to that my whole life.

Because the whole thing is basically filtered from my life. :twisted: And emotionally disinterested.
I could study about those so called colored pills and be unmoved by it.

Still, I'd rather know where and who put those ideas in their heads coming from than just mere condemn them.

Other than that it's just humans, with seemingly similar complexes, "banded together" across the globe, never done before in history -- always existed, and just took and hijacked the label incel for themselves.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 12:23 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Far as I am aware the columbine killers were not autistic and Charles Whitman, a marine who shot over 40 people and killed 11 in 1966 in Texas wasn't autistic.

There's a lot of discussion about whether Dylan Klebold was autistic, but none regarding Eric Harris from what I've seen.

It would be impossible to know if Charles Whitman was autistic or not, he was never evaluated and generally speaking, people of his functioning level weren't considered worthwhile to evaluate. He was evaluated as gifted as a child, although that doesn't say much either way.

Charles Whitman also had a brain tumour near his amygdala, although it's relevance has never been established.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 12:42 pm

Incel is often an insult thrown around with much thought, nowadays.

There will be plenty of socially awkward, non-Autistic NT's who are incels, as well as any Autistic incels.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2023, 11:27 am

nick007 wrote:
From what I've experienced on various forums & seen on this forum, some autistic guys do get accused of being incel because we are frustrated about being single & don't explain things right so others misunderstand our frustration as a hatred towards women.

I've definitely gotten this. In particular, a few years back on vacation I met a woman who was also on vacation, in a manner that would be the kind of improbable story that would have been fun to tell people for years to come. We had a nice chat and I was quite intrigued. I was thinking whether I should ask her to join me for dinner that evening or what she was doing the next day when she said goodbye to me, with no apparent interest in ever seeing me again. Very disappointing. I didn't yell or curse at her; I didn't bear her any ill will. I just returned the goodbye and went on my way. I felt very depressed by the encounter, and it carried on through the rest of the day and into the next.

I expressed this dejection on my Facebook page and a female friend chewed me out. "She didn't owe you anything." I replied that no, of course not. I'm thought I had made it clear I was not angry at her, or about the tacit rejection; just sad.

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I figured the bulk of them were nt, only because most people in general are.

blitzkrieg wrote:
There will be plenty of socially awkward, non-Autistic NT's who are incels, as well as any Autistic incels.

I would think incels have something odd going on in their brain - perhaps sometimes autism but probably not usually. Incel thinking is kind of adjacent to eating disorders and conspiracy theorists.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 11:58 am

^ How does the term incel, which stands for involuntary celibate, have anything to do with being a conspiracy theorist or having an eating disorder?

I am curious.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 4:03 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
^ How does the term incel, which stands for involuntary celibate, have anything to do with being a conspiracy theorist or having an eating disorder?

I am curious.

Note that he didn't say they were related, instead that the way they think is adjacent; they all seem to involve making unreasonable connections and fixating on the conclusions those connections suggest rather than investigating other potential explanations.

Conspiracy theorists look for patterns that either aren't there, or have better explanations than the ones they prefer but stick with the ones they prefer regardless, no matter how often they're exposed to evidence to the contrary.

A portion of people with eating disorders also have body dysmorphia and low self-esteem. They're likely to continue to have an unhealthy relationship with food until how they view themselves changes.

A lot of incels seem to harbour the delusion that they're hideous and blame a lot of their failings on their physical appearance and on the suitable gender having too high of standards. They overlook more obvious explanations, even if evidence is provided.

Sometimes these thoughts become more conspiratorial, where they start buying their own Chad and Stacy talking points about how women actively seek to be cruel to people like them, that they're doing it on purpose, etc, etc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 5:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I am curious.

Note that he didn't say they were related, instead that the way they think is adjacent; they all seem to involve making unreasonable connections and fixating on the conclusions those connections suggest rather than investigating other potential explanations.

Conspiracy theorists look for patterns that either aren't there, or have better explanations than the ones they prefer but stick with the ones they prefer regardless, no matter how often they're exposed to evidence to the contrary.

A portion of people with eating disorders also have body dysmorphia and low self-esteem. They're likely to continue to have an unhealthy relationship with food until how they view themselves changes.

A lot of incels seem to harbour the delusion that they're hideous and blame a lot of their failings on their physical appearance and on the suitable gender having too high of standards. They overlook more obvious explanations, even if evidence is provided.

Sometimes these thoughts become more conspiratorial, where they start buying their own Chad and Stacy talking points about how women actively seek to be cruel to people like them, that they're doing it on purpose, etc, etc.

Ah right, I think I misunderstood what he might by the word adjacent.

Thank you for your explanation.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 5:55 pm

^ I thought that adjacent in this context just meant alongside, but then I couldn't think of what conspiracy theorists, people with eating disorders & incels had in common.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2023, 6:03 pm

Thank you, funeralxempire. I think you explained what I meant better than I could have.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 7:04 pm

You're welcome. There's always good chance I'm wrong in my interpretations so thank you for confirming.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 7:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
You're welcome. There's always good chance I'm wrong in my interpretations so thank you for confirming.

You are one of those posters who I tend to agree with on most things.

So I would say you're never wrong. I am glad you are modest though. :lol:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 11:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Could one of those more obvious explanations actually be autism?

funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I think many Aspies in general have had problems with NTs that other NTs can't fathom. Are we all conspiracy theorists? Some NTs may say so, that Autism is all in our heads and isn't real.