Trying to be more openminded to various jobs...

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2023, 5:36 am

I can not work I got Aspergers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2023, 6:10 am

I mentioned to my boss that someone with autism would be ideal for some of the tasks we had and that I could supervise that person. He wasn't interested even though I was a senior engineer and supposed to take on some management responsibility.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 1:42 pm

So then what are you doing to overcome these barriers?

Are you doing exercises/lifting regularly to build your strength so that you Can lift 50lbs when required? (If not, you could be. People can get stronger.)

Are you working on getting a drivers licence so that you're able to drive a company vehicle if necessary? (Some people never drive and that's just a fact of their lives, but, it may open up other job opportunities if you do it.)

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Even in restaurant retail sales jobs, lifting 50 pounds is extremely common in the job description

Burger king manager job description said, lift 70 pounds

I work at home Depot as a lot attendant. A doctor wrote a letter that I am not allowed to lift over 50 pounds . Corporate said it was fine

Otherwise , data entry clerk and janitor jobs don't involve lifting 50 pounds

If a fast food manager is lifting 70 lbs, they're doing something wrong.

A case of fries at mcdonalds weighs about 40lbs. Grab 2 cases that's 80. Not very difficult for a fast food manager to lift over 70lbs, especially in the name of efficiency. But they could simply lift 40lbs x 2 times if they can't lift 80.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 3:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Even in restaurant retail sales jobs, lifting 50 pounds is extremely common in the job description

I work at home Depot as a lot attendant. A doctor wrote a letter that I am not allowed to lift over 50 pounds . Corporate said it was fine

A case of fries at mcdonalds weighs about 40lbs. Grab 2 cases that's 80. Not very difficult for a fast food manager to lift over 70lbs, especially in the name of efficiency. But they could simply lift 40lbs x 2 times if they can't lift 80.

I think she means if you're the manager and not delegating those duties regularly you're doing being a manager wrong.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 3:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:

I think she means if you're the manager and not delegating those duties regularly you're doing being a manager wrong.

In my educated opinion (BCIT Diploma of Technology; Operations Management), Leading by Doing isn’t wrong. Same for teaching/training as well as pitching in during times of high demand.

I’ve worked in fast food before. Any manage unwilling to do some lifting to ensure continuously smooth operation of the garbage “food product,” manufacturing operation shouldn’t work in that field. (Unless they are too old and frail, then they get a pass on delegating vs injuring themselves.)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 4:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:

In my educated opinion (BCIT Diploma of Technology; Operations Management), Leading by Doing isn’t wrong. Same for teaching/training as well as pitching in during times of high demand.

I’ve worked in fast food before. Any manage unwilling to do some lifting to ensure continuously smooth operation of the garbage “food product,” manufacturing operation shouldn’t work in that field. (Unless they are too old and frail, then they get a pass on delegating vs injuring themselves.)

I don't recall suggesting that a McManager should never do physical work. What I mean is that generally speaking, their job is to observe, direct and coordinate what other people are doing. Their primary duty is to be a force multiplier, not to be the force itself.

If they're too prone to getting their hands dirty with regular duties it means they're no longer available to do their main duties. If that's the case, they might as well delegate someone to do the managerial tasks. It's good if they serve as a floater, it's bad when they become bogged down and essentially just another kitchen worker or cashier.

I would expect that when everyone's busy that the manager who's also floating should take on the task of restocking consumables rather than assigning it to someone who's already busy, but if it's not busy they can stay on top of their own primary duties and delegate it to someone who isn't busy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2023, 2:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
So then what are you doing to overcome these barriers?

Are you doing exercises/lifting regularly to build your strength so that you Can lift 50lbs when required? (If not, you could be. People can get stronger.)

Are you working on getting a drivers licence so that you're able to drive a company vehicle if necessary? (Some people never drive and that's just a fact of their lives, but, it may open up other job opportunities if you do it.)

Currently just applying for jobs that don't require those things, I have an interview on Friday so that's a start.

Other than that I do plan to get a drivers license just have to practice and take the test. As for excercise/lifting it would likely be a good idea to do more of that, granted haven't really done any lifting before but maybe some small 5-10 pound weights to do arm exercises could be something.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2023, 3:49 pm

Small weights lifted many times will build strength. My aunt used to curl large soup cans.

Don’t even need anything to lift besides your own body weight. Push-ups/pull-ups will build strength.

Just gotta do whatever you do for even just 5-10 minutes a day and over time you’ll get stronger. Put it more effort, get faster results. But it isn’t necessary to go nuts and spend 2 hours/day in a gym or anything like that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 2:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Small weights lifted many times will build strength. My aunt used to curl large soup cans.

Don’t even need anything to lift besides your own body weight. Push-ups/pull-ups will build strength.

Just gotta do whatever you do for even just 5-10 minutes a day and over time you’ll get stronger. Put it more effort, get faster results. But it isn’t necessary to go nuts and spend 2 hours/day in a gym or anything like that.

Well, I may try and make it part of my morning routine. Ha ha I have never been to a gym, so I don't see myself going too crazy with it. That said I know some amount of fitness is important especially since I won't be getting any younger.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 2:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Well, I may try and make it part of my morning routine. Ha ha I have never been to a gym, so I don't see myself going too crazy with it. That said I know some amount of fitness is important especially since I won't be getting any younger.

Gyms aren't required for physical fitness, only work/exercise.

6 years ago I was almost 6 pack lean. No gym. Just running around my neighbourhood and pushups/crunchs/squats etc. All you have to do is move, and eat healthily, drink water and get sleep etc. Very simple stuff, no need to complicate it with feeling obligated to pay for or drag yourself to a gym.